What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for your reply.

The USB disc has a separate power supply. Sorry I wasn't clear. It just seems odd I can read from it through windows & mac as a mapped drive, just have no write access to it.

Thank you for the AP link. That is pretty much what I have done.

I assume you have verified permissions under the SAMBA settings on the router as per image below.
SMB-server-permissions.JPG

If so - sorry can't help.

Thanks @GNUton for working on this router. I'm trying to use mine to connect to our FTTC modem, but it required the router to use VLAN ID 2. Unfortunately the message is "VLAN ID 2 is reserved for internal usage. Please change to another one" Is there any chance of getting this restriction removed in your next release?
Thanks

Cant get rid of yellow flashing exclamation mark , updated to latest 384.17_0-gnuton1 and reset router but its still there

Cant get rid of yellow flashing exclamation mark , updated to latest 384.17_0-gnuton1 and reset router but its still there

And what does it say when you click on it?

Well before I reset it ,it said (Your DSL seems unstable. We stronglyrecommend that you submit feedback to our support team)
I just clicked it again and its been fixed , so dont know whats going on but it seems sorted now :oops:

Well before I reset it ,it said (Your DSL seems unstable. We stronglyrecommend that you submit feedback to our support team)
I just clicked it again and its been fixed , so dont know whats going on but it seems sorted now :oops:

If the notification was regarding the stability of the DSL connection, then it's possible the issue was with your ISP or your line, not with the firmware.

I think this message apears when you are getting high number of crc errors which means your lane is not stable. You can check dsl log for that.

Is this firmware still being actively worked on? I've been using this for 6 months now and I'm very impressed, however, I'd love to be able to try FlexQoS, which requires 384.18!

I'm sure it is. But 384.18 hasn't been released (final) yet. :)

Yep - 384.18 is still in Beta mode ... delays caused by slow release by Asus of GPL source codes for several Router models.

I'm confident that @GNUton will release an Alpha version 384.18 of his code for the DSL-AC68U fairly soon after a [Release] version of 384.18 is out.

No harm in encouraging him a little by taking this link and dropping some tin into his coffee cup ;).
I just did :).

Yep - 384.18 is still in Beta mode ... delays caused by slow release by Asus of GPL source codes for several Router models.

I'm confident that @GNUton will release an Alpha version 384.18 of his code for the DSL-AC68U fairly soon after a [Release] version of 384.18 is out.

No harm in encouraging him a little by taking this link and dropping some tin into his coffee cup ;).
I just did :).

Yes I send him something for encouragement to. after all we are all using his firmware.

Appreciate the replies guys, I've got a couple questions about this router too if you'd be willing to shed some light:

The DSL-AC68U:
  • How does the included modem affect performance compared to the regular 68U? Does the dual-core processor delegate a core to modem use only? In my unbound config I left it set to 1 thread as I was unsure of this!
  • I'm due to be upgraded to 300mbps down / 20mbps up FTTP with Gigaclear on the next month or two, will I be fine to utilise the dual wan capability to effectively disable the modem and use a LAN port as the effective new WAN port? Or are these speeds unsuitable for a DSL capable modem-router and I should save up some pennies and get an 86U for example?

Appreciate the replies guys, I've got a couple questions about this router too if you'd be willing to shed some light:

The DSL-AC68U:
  • How does the included modem affect performance compared to the regular 68U? Does the dual-core processor delegate a core to modem use only? In my unbound config I left it set to 1 thread as I was unsure of this!
  • I'm due to be upgraded to 300mbps down / 20mbps up FTTP with Gigaclear on the next month or two, will I be fine to utilise the dual wan capability to effectively disable the modem and use a LAN port as the effective new WAN port? Or are these speeds unsuitable for a DSL capable modem-router and I should save up some pennies and get an 86U for example?

Not sure about first question, although I know the DSL version is clocked lower than the RT version I think 800Mhz Vs 1Ghz.

As for your fibre connection it should be fine in that setup. I have G.fast and used my 68U in the LAN mode with the WAN connection coming from the Openreach modem. Worked flawlessly with good speeds. Wireless could get up to about 290 down and 49 up and wired slightly quicker.

Can the DSL-AC68U be overclocked?

Last edited:
Thanks for that - just gave it a go and seems ok

Just keep a careful watch on cpu temp ... fit fan/s to keep it cool - available on Amazon.

It can be overclocked as have been over clocking mine for a couple of years. Has to be done via SSH.

Have instructions at https://www.lurch.uk/2018/03/overclocking-asus-dsl-ac68u-or-rt-ac68u/ which should help you.

I have since put the first 2 lines excluding the reboot command in the init-start and services-stop files in /jffs/scripts/ so that it applies automatically
I tried this once before but the router wouldn't boot anymore, and I had to use the Asus recovery tool to get it back, very stressful! I didn't put the commands into the scripts but simply put them into ssh whilst the router was running to test (including the reboot command)
Did I do something wrong or am I unlucky with my hardware?

In terms of not booting, its symptoms were that is would show a light for the power, and a blinking/solid light for any lan connections, and wasn't accessible by webgui via ethernet

New official ASUS firmware is out.

I've successfully dirty-flashed it over the latest gnuton build.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_38287 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
Security Fixes and Improvement:
- Fixed httpd Command Injection.
- Enhanced brute-force protection for ssh and telnet.
- Fixed CVE-2019-15126 (Kr00k) vulnerability.
- Enhanced httpd for Directory traversal.
- Enhanced httpd for Reflected XSS.

New:
- Added AiMesh Web Page.

DSL:
- Updated ATM/PTM ISP List.
- Updated DSL firmware to v1.0.5.1.
- Updated DMT library to V5.6.36.0.
- Added Italy ISP Vodafone to ATM auto detection list.
- Disabled bitswap while manual setting area is Turkey.
- Fixed possible wrong ATM detection in QIS.
- Fixed setting IPTV profile not work in QIS.
Bug Fixes and Improvements:
- Fixed and enhanced AiMesh related issues.
- Fixed mac repeat bug and app client list compatibility.
- Fixed sometimes failed to feedback.
- Removed key/cert in exported ovpn file if configure "user auth. only" on OpenVPN server advanced settings.
- Reduced time of client status from connected to disconnect on OpenVPN server page.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt can't be enabled by IE.
- Fixed wrong Authentication Failed error of OpenVPN client, which is actually network connectivity issue.
- Fixed OpenVPN client sometimes fail to connect in topology subnet case.
- Enhanced Roaming assistant by MAC filter based probe response.
- Enhanced networkmap with vendor class query.
- Added two new Adaptive QoS modes, Learn-From-Home and Work-From-Home.
- Added 5 new app icons of Bandwidth Monitor.
- Fixed OpenVPN client not support compress lz4-v2 option.
- Fixed OpenVPN client not support tls-crypt option.
- Fixed OpenVPN client not handle some routing rules from server correctly.
- Fixed the Samba config of the RE node.
- Added download certificate function on system page.
- Added self-signed certificate with SAN (V3) for importing into browser.
- Updated dnsmasq to 2.81.
- Fixed support for USB disks with a single quote in their model name.
- Fixed live update issues.
- Updated Feedback Problem Description and string tags.
- Updated openssl to 1.1.1g.
- Fixed httpd access issue.
- Added a new option, Continuous Mode, in WAN DHCP query frequency setting.
- Fixed the client status error of OpenVPN Server if multiple user connected with same account.
- Fixed USB Modem not to check SIM of Android phone.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt renew certificate failed.

New official ASUS firmware is out.

I've successfully dirty-flashed it over the latest gnuton build.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_38287 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
Security Fixes and Improvement:
- Fixed httpd Command Injection.
- Enhanced brute-force protection for ssh and telnet.
- Fixed CVE-2019-15126 (Kr00k) vulnerability.
- Enhanced httpd for Directory traversal.
- Enhanced httpd for Reflected XSS.

New:
- Added AiMesh Web Page.

DSL:
- Updated ATM/PTM ISP List.
- Updated DSL firmware to v1.0.5.1.
- Updated DMT library to V5.6.36.0.
- Added Italy ISP Vodafone to ATM auto detection list.
- Disabled bitswap while manual setting area is Turkey.
- Fixed possible wrong ATM detection in QIS.
- Fixed setting IPTV profile not work in QIS.
Bug Fixes and Improvements:
- Fixed and enhanced AiMesh related issues.
- Fixed mac repeat bug and app client list compatibility.
- Fixed sometimes failed to feedback.
- Removed key/cert in exported ovpn file if configure "user auth. only" on OpenVPN server advanced settings.
- Reduced time of client status from connected to disconnect on OpenVPN server page.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt can't be enabled by IE.
- Fixed wrong Authentication Failed error of OpenVPN client, which is actually network connectivity issue.
- Fixed OpenVPN client sometimes fail to connect in topology subnet case.
- Enhanced Roaming assistant by MAC filter based probe response.
- Enhanced networkmap with vendor class query.
- Added two new Adaptive QoS modes, Learn-From-Home and Work-From-Home.
- Added 5 new app icons of Bandwidth Monitor.
- Fixed OpenVPN client not support compress lz4-v2 option.
- Fixed OpenVPN client not support tls-crypt option.
- Fixed OpenVPN client not handle some routing rules from server correctly.
- Fixed the Samba config of the RE node.
- Added download certificate function on system page.
- Added self-signed certificate with SAN (V3) for importing into browser.
- Updated dnsmasq to 2.81.
- Fixed support for USB disks with a single quote in their model name.
- Fixed live update issues.
- Updated Feedback Problem Description and string tags.
- Updated openssl to 1.1.1g.
- Fixed httpd access issue.
- Added a new option, Continuous Mode, in WAN DHCP query frequency setting.
- Fixed the client status error of OpenVPN Server if multiple user connected with same account.
- Fixed USB Modem not to check SIM of Android phone.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt renew certificate failed.

WOW ... that's a lot of improvements and fixes ... PLUS the GPL source code was released for it at the same time [3.0.0.4.386_38287] :D.
I guess @GNUton will really have his work cut out to build all that into an updated release of Merlinware ;).