What's new

[DSL-AX82U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GNUton

Howdy ladies and gents,

Today I have great news for you all!
I am really proud to annouce that from now on I will be supporting and releasing Merlin AsusWrt builds for the DSL-AX82U too.

While the DSL-AC68U is still a rock solid companion and it will be enough for most of the users out there, the new DSL-AX82U is packed with much more power, it runs at lower temps and it comes with
a powerful hardware, WiFi6, RGB lights and new software features like Alexa and IFTT integration among the many which are not available on AC68U unit.

The first firmware image is now public and already available for download in my github page.

So to recap, from now on:
- Images of the new model will be released along with the DSL-AC68U
- There will be no changing in the support of the DSL-AC68U, both units will be supported at the same time.
- If you file a bug report please specify your unit model

That's all for now folks, I do hope you are excited as I am,
Big kudos to @RMerlin for all his support and for making this happen. A big thanks goes also to ASUS people (Sam and Paul in particular) for the support and the testing unit.

1612435796877.png

Last edited:
@GNUton! Another giant in the making! :)

I knew you were working on something big!

Even though I don't have the pleasure to use your RMerlin fork yet, it is great to know it is available for any customers that may need it in the future.

Congrats on the connections you're making in this field with RMerlin, Sam, and Dave, wishing you unending future successes!

No. RT version doesn't seem to run AsusWRT, you can get it from ther version number (Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 ), so it cannot run Merlin.
I am not sure btw what are the differences in specs between the two routers so no idea if a modified version could run on it with some tweaking.

No. RT version doesn't seem to run AsusWRT, you can get it from ther version number

It does run Asuswrt. The version number simply indicates that it's a beta version when the first digit is 9.

Very good message for us, now we just need to get one, I am looking worldwide for months, never saw any stock.

I didn't see the 386 in the version.. and I got fooled!;)
So does your DSL firmware support the RT-AX82U then? Or could it support it in the future?

I've just recently got an RT-AX82U and Merlin is a new concept to me but something I'd like to start using in the not to distant future.

@M4YON As for now I am only supporting DSL routers, but in the future I may support some other variants too if they are not covered by official @RMerlin builds.
As for the RT-AX82U, @RMerlin is currently annonucing support for new devices. I am not sure if this is part of the lucky ones although, but please just be patient and stay tuned for his updates on twitter or on this forum.

@M4YON As for now I am only supporting DSL routers, but in the future I may support some other variants too if they are not covered by official @RMerlin builds.
As for the RT-AX82U, @RMerlin is currently annonucing support for new devices. I am not sure if this is part of the lucky ones although, but please just be patient and stay tuned for his updates on twitter or on this forum.
I appreciate the reply, I had read in many different threads that merlin was unlikely to add support to many new routers but I wait in hope.

After managing to pick up a RT-AX82U for €120/£110 and the possibility of picking up another for this price, it would be a fantastic investment for an AImesh network.

Fingers crossed.

The DSL-AX82U does not seem to be available in the UK yet, but could you say if it's possible to see individual device network usage in the router UI in the default firmware? If it's an upgrade in the custom firmware that would of course be great too.
The DSL-AC68U could do this, the DSL-AC88U can not and it makes diagnosing traffic issues a real problem only being able to see the total traffic split by VDSL/ADSL/Eth/Wired, regaining that functionality alone would make me seriously consider upgrading, especially as G-Fast seems to have been abandoned for UK FTTC.

Last edited:
The DSL-AX82U is not available yet in may countries.. The device is very new so.. just we do need just to wait. ;)

As for the firmware, it is pretty much like the DSL-AC68U. Whatever you can do with it, you will be able to do with the 82U too. The DSL-AC88U runs a very different firmware.

Wonder if this router will end up like the DSL-AC88U and get no firmware updates, as it also has a Broadcom chipset,

It's so strange Asus seem dedicated to still supporting the DSL-AC68U with a "bad" chipset but when we finally get a DSL router from them with decent hardware/chipset, they abandon it.

Wonder if this router will end up like the DSL-AC88U and get no firmware updates, as it also has a Broadcom chipset,
The DSL-AC88U wasn't really developed by Asus. It runs a different firmware that wasn't developed by their Asuswrt dev team, hence it didn't get much support.

The DSL-AX82U however is based on Asuswrt, so it gets supported by the rest of Asus's dev team alongside other router models.

The DSL-AC88U wasn't really developed by Asus. It runs a different firmware that wasn't developed by their Asuswrt dev team, hence it didn't get much support.

The DSL-AX82U however is based on Asuswrt, so it gets supported by the rest of Asus's dev team alongside other router models.
Oh that's great news, hopefully it gets the same amount of updates/support the DSL-AC68U has had. I'll pick one up in that case to see how it performs on Plusnet/UK VDSL.

Nice firmware by the way, been using yours for years :)

I just received an RT-AX82U (160 EUR)... what are the chances of future Merlin support? @RMerlin
(I am so satisfied with Merlin that I might just send it back in the allowed window if there's no chance.)

I just received an RT-AX82U (160 EUR)... what are the chances of future Merlin support? @RMerlin
(I am so satisfied with Merlin that I might just send it back in the allowed window if there's no chance.)

Excuse me, where is the link for download the merlin firmware for DSL-AX82U and RT-AX82U? I need to download it. Thanks

Excuse me, where is the link for download the merlin firmware for DSL-AX82U and RT-AX82U? I need to download it. Thanks
Sticky header?!