What's new

Dual band router as dual band repeater?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Muyfa666

Regular Contributor
I'm looking to setup a Netgear R6300v2 as a repeater for my wifi.

The setup procedure is fairly straightforward, but as I understand it, it will only repeat one band. Is this correct?

Is is at all possible to repeat dual band at the same time with a modern router?

I hear "Amped SR20000G" is great at this, but since I have a AC1750-router already that I could use, it seems like a waste of money...

I've no problem here using a TP-Link Archer C7 to repeat from an ASUS RT-AC66U on both bands.

I've no problem here using a TP-Link Archer C7 to repeat from an ASUS RT-AC66U on both bands.

Are you sure? It would be interesting to see a PCAP showing that both radios are used between the Primary AP and the Secondary.

Most dual-band routers in SOHO space cannot do link-bonding, so the repeater/backhaul link will use one of the two radios. Which is fine... do note however, that the radio used for repeating will have half (or more) bandwidth loss, as it can only Transmit or Receive at any given time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!