What's new

Dual WAN Failover ***v2 Release***

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a usb drive mounted on the router, is it possible to save the logs there?
still didn't know what went wrong and why the wan0 disconnection didn't trigger the failover
That would be based on your system log configuration. Scribe has some options which is another add on you can look into on this forum.

Had my WAN1 go down over night, and since it was not my primary internet, everything continued along no problem.

Saw this error in the debug logs, that may just be a typo in the script that a variable is not being added to the text

Code:
Mar 31 03:54:19 wan-failover: Debug - HTTP Web Access: 0   [[ -n x ]] &>/dev/null && logger -p 6 -t wan-failover Debug - Firewall Enabled: 1

Had my WAN1 go down over night, and since it was not my primary internet, everything continued along no problem.

Saw this error in the debug logs, that may just be a typo in the script that a variable is not being added to the text

Code:
Mar 31 03:54:19 wan-failover: Debug - HTTP Web Access: 0   [[ -n x ]] &>/dev/null && logger -p 6 -t wan-failover Debug - Firewall Enabled: 1
Published a minor fix for this issue (v2.0.3)

Is the built-in CAKE QoS compatible with this script? I've been using Flex but I wanted to try CAKE. Thanks!

Is the built-in CAKE QoS compatible with this script? I've been using Flex but I wanted to try CAKE. Thanks!
It should work, I believe they use the same nvram settings so the QoS Type shouldn't matter.

Hi, I just had a disconnection event happened today on my WAN0, but the wan failover didn't switch to the second connection, even after a few minutes, I ended up losing connection altogether while the WAN1 the second connection is still alive.
WAN0 Pings to 8.8.8.8 and I am also running the ping on a command window on my PC, the ping returns an RTO, however, wan failover didn't detect it or at least the status didn't change and no failover happened.

How do I view the logs to see what happened and to troubleshoot? I tried operations 11 to capture system log for failover events but that didn't return anything different to option 10.

Thanks in advance
So today another disconnection event happened on my WAN0
wan failover didn't switch to the second connection and still detected wan0 as connected and primary
I tried using option 14 to manual switch the connection
while it did switch the connection over because I can see pings on my PC terminal, it gave a very long nonstop messages

1680616774964.png

after selecting option 14 to manual failover :

1680616808280.png

also these errors are mixed in with them

1680616823937.png

after awhile, my main connection for WAN0 got connected again, but wan-failover didn't return to the primary connection, I thought initially it was because of the manual failover I did, but the status shows that the one currently connected is WAN0, and not WAN1, while from IP check I can see that WAN1 is the one I'm accessing the internet through.

For now, I needed to restart my router in order for the connection to return to use WAN0.

I wonder if there's anything I done incorrectly and is there a way to detect it and troubleshoot so that the next time a disconnection event happens, it can failover and failback automatically as intended

Please kindly help, thanks a lot

So today another disconnection event happened on my WAN0
wan failover didn't switch to the second connection and still detected wan0 as connected and primary
I tried using option 14 to manual switch the connection
while it did switch the connection over because I can see pings on my PC terminal, it gave a very long nonstop messages

View attachment 49053

after selecting option 14 to manual failover :

View attachment 49054

also these errors are mixed in with them

View attachment 49056

after awhile, my main connection for WAN0 got connected again, but wan-failover didn't return to the primary connection, I thought initially it was because of the manual failover I did, but the status shows that the one currently connected is WAN0, and not WAN1, while from IP check I can see that WAN1 is the one I'm accessing the internet through.

For now, I needed to restart my router in order for the connection to return to use WAN0.

I wonder if there's anything I done incorrectly and is there a way to detect it and troubleshoot so that the next time a disconnection event happens, it can failover and failback automatically as intended

Please kindly help, thanks a lot
You will need to collect debug logs before I can really assist in what is going on. From the looks of it though your WAN0 stops updating it’s status and is still showing as 0% packet loss. What is the ping count, and ping timeout set to?

You will need to collect debug logs before I can really assist in what is going on. From the looks of it though your WAN0 stops updating it’s status and is still showing as 0% packet loss. What is the ping count, and ping timeout set to?
1680638824316.png

This is my config, I think I mostly left it in default save from changing the wan0 target ping, I didn't understand previously how to save the log to the mounted disk to get the debug logs.

When you mentioned scribe, did you mean this one ? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scribe-2-4-4-is-out.83390/#post-822573

oh and is skynet necessary? I feel like it'll just complicate things for me

Gonna take a look and try to install it

View attachment 49062

This is my config, I think I mostly left it in default save from changing the wan0 target ping, I didn't understand previously how to save the log to the mounted disk to get the debug logs.

When you mentioned scribe, did you mean this one ? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/scribe-2-4-4-is-out.83390/#post-822573

oh and is skynet necessary? I feel like it'll just complicate things for me

Gonna take a look and try to install it
It actually seems like your script is locking up and that’s the problem and possibly why you are getting “Unresponsive” status. Try turning on NVRAM Checks (Option 14). Also make sure you are on the latest version (v2.0.3)

Last edited:
It actually seems like your script is locking up and that’s the problem and possibly why you are getting “Unresponsive” status. Try turning on NVRAM Checks (Option 14). Also make sure you are on the latest version (v2.0.3)
okay, thank you, updated and installed Scribe and saw how to log into uiScribe as well, lets see if there's another disconnection event that will happen, hopefully everything runs fine now

okay, thank you, updated and installed Scribe and saw how to log into uiScribe as well, lets see if there's another disconnection event that will happen, hopefully everything runs fine now
Did you turn on NVRAM Checks like I recommended?

@Ranger802004 Only today did I see this (yeah been away a while) and really want to run it but want to know what LTE device works best. I've been using a Teltonica router and its fails over great but often doesn't fail back... so I really want to run your script! THANK you for doing this!

Also a thought... maybe start a separate thread for Hardware, specific to your script? ... since these threads are already huge and keep things cleaner? One for software and one for hardware?

@Ranger802004 Only today did I see this (yeah been away a while) and really want to run it but want to know what LTE device works best. I've been using a Teltonica router and its fails over great but often doesn't fail back... so I really want to run your script! THANK you for doing this!

Also a thought... maybe start a separate thread for Hardware, specific to your script? ... since these threads are already huge and keep things cleaner? One for software and one for hardware?
I’m confused by what you’re asking for here? My script works on any ASUS router running Merlin firmware 386.5 or higher.

I’m confused by what you’re asking for here? My script works on any ASUS router running Merlin firmware 386.5 or higher.
Apologies, when I said "want to know what LTE device works best" I meant it would be good to have the group share what Mobile Router (USB or Ethernet) devices work well/properly for Dual-WAN, with your script.

Last edited:
Apologies, when I said "want to know what LTE device works best" I meant it would be good to have the group share what Mobile Router (USB or Ethernet) devices work well/properly for Dual-WAN, with your script.
My Teltonika (I have both the RUTX11 and the RUT360) has been the best LTE router that I have so far tried.

My Teltonika (I have both the RUTX11 and the RUT360) has been the best LTE router that I have so far tried.
The X11 has been buggy for me so looking for something more basic and use the ASUS Dual-WAN for failover
but for the X11, would love to know how you run it and what settings/tweaks you have done? I only need it for failover. I'll DM you if you don't mind sharing how you run it and your tweaks?

The X11 has been buggy for me so looking for something more basic and use the ASUS Dual-WAN for failover
but for the X11, would love to know how you run it and what settings/tweaks you have done? I only need it for failover. I'll DM you if you don't mind sharing how you run it and your tweaks?
My setup is really simple. Mostly default settings and using my mobile WAN in PASSTHROUGH mode to the Asus' MAC address. Has worked perfectly in a set up and forgot fashion with no problems at all. I am away from home at present but can send you some screenshots next week if you wish.

to have the group share what Mobile Router (USB or Ethernet) devices work well/properly for Dual-WAN, with your script.
I just use a Huawei E8372-320 (Telstra Australia variant) LTE USB dongle. I picked up a couple of them for $15 each on sale a few years ago.
So far so good for occasional backup connectivity when main HFC fixed line provider goes down / has maintenance, and works very well nowadays with @Ranger802004 script.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!