What's new

Dual Wan Load Balancing - pages fail to load

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EckyX

New Around Here
Hi all,

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

I live in a rural area and the fastest internet available here is DSL (FairPoint) @ 1.6/0.7. My household is relatively large, and it doesn't help that in the evenings there's a bottleneck at the fiber cable leaving town (according to the tech), and speeds can approach that of dialup. I decided to try having a second line installed and use load balancing to help in those times when we're all online and trying to stream music and watch YouTube videos, but I can't seem to get it working correctly.

My hardware:

RT-N66U w/Merlin 378.55
2x Netgear DM111PSP

Right now I'm using load balancing and have it set to 1:1, with routing rules disabled. Modem1 is on WAN, and modem2 is on LAN1. Both DSL lines work great independently in either the WAN port or LAN1, but when I enable dual WAN, pages fail to load 90% of the time and I can't fathom why. If I hit refresh repeatedly, eventually pages will load, and when they do, they load as quickly as they should. Speedtests (I have to refresh 20+ times before they load) show I'm getting the speed I should when the connection is finally established. It seems the outgoing connections just... aren't made? Maybe?

I've tried with both DSL modems in router+modem mode and with both as just modems with the Asus router providing the login info. I've switched the modems around too. Using either individually, things work great, but it's only when activating dual WAN that it doesn't.

I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe a different firmware version? Am I not understanding how dual WAN is supposed to work? I thought when establishing connections, the router would split attempts evenly between the two connections?