What's new

Dynamic VLAN Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deaders

New Around Here
Hello,

I am considering buying an Asus RT-N66U to replace my current router. I have my network setup using WPA2-Enterprise, with a RADIUS server configured for dynamic VLAN assignment (as explained in OpenWRT's Introduction to 802.1X.) So, I have a single wireless network, and upon authentication, RADIUS tells the router in which VLAN that particular user should be placed.

I was wondering whether either the stock firmware or Merlin support this setup. I could find some of Merlin's code on GitHub related to dynamic VLAN, but I didn't manage to find any information on whether this kind of setup is supported or not. The reason I'd like to use Merlin instead of OpenWRT or DD-WRT is performance. I do not mind having to perform a few manual steps in the command line.

Thanks,

UPDATE 18-Jun-2017: I did some more looking into the Merlin's code for hostapd (the piece of software running the AP), and it seems like this could be doable if enabling VLAN tagging and if hostapd is compiled with the CONFIG_FULL_DYNAMIC_VLAN option set. I'm trying to determine which options are used for hostapd now. If someone could verify for me whether the vlan_tagged_interface text string appears in the hostapd binary, it would be great help (this is a configuration option available only when full dynamic VLAN support is enabled.)

Last edited:
I found out that the `hostapd` binary included with Asuswrt-Merlin was not compiled with the necessary options to support dynamic VLANs. I ended up getting a TP-Link Archer C7 instead (because LEDE is well supported for that one, and I knew for certain dynamic VLANs would work.)

However, I believe it should be possible to either build a custom image of Merlin with the CONFIG_FULL_DYNAMIC_VLAN constant enabled for hostapd, or to build a hostapd binary and use it with Merlin. It may also be possible to ask merlin (the developer) to include this as well.