What's new

Editing firewall rules in UI with NAT disabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cs1

New Around Here
First of all I'd like to thank RMerlin for the excellent firmware. I highly appreciate the hard work you put into it and the excellent quality of your releases. Please keep up the good work. :)

I have a question regarding firewall rules when NAT is disabled. I'd basically like to add rules of the kind "allow some outside host HTTP on an inside host" (nothing fancy, really). Is there any way to achieve this using the web interface? Port forwarding is only useful when NAT is enabled so that's no option. Right now I use a "firewall-start" user script to do all the work.

One more question for RMerlin in the case that there's no way to do the above in the UI: I know that you are reluctant to make significant changes to the UI or base functionality that derive far from ASUS's stock firmware (and I really applaud that because it makes for a more reliable and stable firmware), however, do you see any chance to implement that the "Port forwarding" tab changes to "FW rules" tab (or something similar) when NAT is disabled (or to simply add such an additional tab that's only greyed out when NAT is enabled) so that the admin user can write simple rules of the likes above?

I don't want to devote time to cases where NAT is disabled because there might be 0.05% of the userbase at most using this router in such a scenario.

I understand. I guess that this option will become increasingly interesting if the IPv6 user base grows.

I understand. I guess that this option will become increasingly interesting if the IPv6 user base grows.

There's already a user configurable IPv6 firewall in the firmware.