What's new

EnGenius Joins The Wi-Fi Mesh Fray

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
engenius_emr3000-kit.jpg
EnGenius announced its EMR3000-Kit EnMesh Home Wi-Fi System. It's a dual-band AC distributed Wi-Fi / mesh system aggressively priced at $269 for a three-pack and $99 for a single unit.

EnGenius' announcement is short of specs other than to say it is "dual-band 11ac" and sets up via an app and Bluetooth. But it's a safe bet it has a dual-band 2x2 802.11ac radio shared between backhaul and client connection with a single Gigabit Ethernet port.

We'll see what this really is when it starts shipping next month.

Bad assumption. If no wires are required, backhaul must be via Wi-Fi.
The announcement doesn't spec radio class either.

Bad assumption. If no wires are required, backhaul must be via Wi-Fi.
The announcement doesn't spec radio class either.

True but the announcement leave questions about that and the class of each node. But May is around the corner so we can see when its released.

EnGenius announced its EMR3000-Kit EnMesh Home Wi-Fi System. It's a dual-band AC distributed Wi-Fi / mesh system aggressively priced at $269 for a three-pack and $99 for a single unit...We'll see what this really is when it starts shipping next month.
Hope it uses an 80mhz 802.11ac channel for backhaul and different 80mhz channel for clients.

Also in the forum title "frey" should probably be spelled "fray".

Thanks for your posts and analyses.

/Russell

Hope it uses an 80mhz 802.11ac channel for backhaul and different 80mhz channel for clients.

Also in the forum title "frey" should probably be spelled "fray".
Spelling corrected. I should have caught that.

You can hope. But for $100 a node, I seriously doubt there will be a separate backhaul radio.

You can hope. But for $100 a node, I seriously doubt there will be a separate backhaul radio.

Thanks for the spelling correction. I do agree that with pricing for a 3-pack $40 cheaper than Google radios may not be much better. When we find out the router class, maybe we will have a clearer picture.

I received preliminary specs. It's a familiar design, one dual-band 2x2 AC radio, two Gigabit Ethernet ports, one USB 2.0 port.

My browser is still showing the word "frey" in the link, maybe the initial web page is cached or something.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!