What's new

Error when upgrading firmware : RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eric4381

Occasional Visitor
First of all, I apologize if this question is covered in another thread. However, I did not find anything after a quick search.

Setup:

- ISP provdes internet through cable.
- ISP modem connected to cable by coax.
- RT-AC66U connected to ISP modem by cat 5e cable.
- Stationary computer connected to RT-AC66U by cat 5e cable.

Problem:

- I download new firmware to the stationary computer.
- I upgrade the firmware though the web interface on RT-AC66U.
- I get the "completed" message, followed by "restart the router manually".
- I push the power button on RT-AC66U twice.
- The router flashes the three Power, LAN and WAN leds.
- No connection when entering http://192.168.1.1 in my browser on the stationary computer.

This happens with all firmware, being ASUS-originals or Merlins.

Any thoughts on how I can sort this out?

Thanx.

so... how are you able to test multiple firmwares?

I have to reset the router using the recovery tool.

When the router is reset I do the firmware upgrade procedure again with another firmware.

Anyone has an idea of how I can fix this?

What usually happens when you upgrade the firmware and reboot the router?

Anyone has an idea of how I can fix this?

What usually happens when you upgrade the firmware and reboot the router?

Power on the router and wait 2 min. If nothing happens then try a different lan cable and or different lan port.

And make sure the NIC is set to auto aquire lan IP.

Waited 2 minutes, and nothing happens.

Changed lan port on the router (only have 1 lan port on computer).

Changed both cables (from modem to router, and from router to computer).

Made sure the ethernet connection on my computer had both IPv4 and IPv6 set to obtain IP automatically (and obtain DNS automatically).

Still nothing happens.

The connection is listed as an unidentified network in the network and sharing center.

I ran the windows network diagnostics and got the problem "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration".

Anything else I can try? I'm really lost here....

Any reason your pushing the power button twice? If the router asks you to manually reboot you should press the power button one time wait about 10 seconds and turn it back on. Then what i do after that is a full factory reset then reconfigure. I have never had any issues flashing firmware stock Asus or Merlin builds and i have done it more times then i care to say. And they were all done wireless. :D

Last edited:
I'm just pressing the power button twice to turn it off and on.

Will a full factory reset and reconfigure change the upgraded firmware?

If not, can I do a full factory reset and reconfigure without accessing the routers interface?

I'm just pressing the power button twice to turn it off and on.

Will a full factory reset and reconfigure change the upgraded firmware?

If not, can I do a full factory reset and reconfigure without accessing the routers interface?

No a full factory reset will not change the firmware in any way. But all settings and configurations will be lost. You will have to go into the router UI and reconfigure your personal settings. 192.168.1.1 Most browsers will redirect you to the set up page of the router automatically at start up.

Last edited:
Thanx, but how do I do a full factory reset without accessing the router UI?

Easy there is a reset button on the back of the router. Use a small screwdriver or paper clip and press it in and hold it for about 20 seconds and release. That will hard reset the router.

Nothing happens when I press and hold the reset button for 20 seconds. The leds are still flashing the same way.

I've also tried to connect another computer to the router, but same problem there, no connection.

Any other suggestions?

Holding the reset button for 20 to 30 seconds should cause the router to factory reset, the lights on the front should all flash then the router will reboot. If yours is not doing that then you may have a problem there.

Nothing happens when I press and hold the reset button for 20 seconds. The leds are still flashing the same way.

I've also tried to connect another computer to the router, but same problem there, no connection.

Any other suggestions?
Make sure you are actually hitting the reset button. What "tool" are you using?

I'm using a paper clip, so pretty sure I'm hitting the button. It makes a small click when pressing, but nothing when releasing.

Turn the router off.
Hold the wps button and turn on the router.
Wait 20 sec till power light flashes fast.
Release wps button.
Wait 2min.

If you still can't get in to routers GUI, then its time to send it out for warranty.

Turn the router off.
Hold the wps button and turn on the router.
Wait 20 sec till power light flashes fast.
Release wps button.
Wait 2min.

If you still can't get in to routers GUI, then its time to send it out for warranty.

This operation works, as this is what I have to do to "repair" the router after trying to upgrade the firmware.

However, this operation resets the router to the factory firmware right?

So the problem still exists... :confused:

No, it just resets it to factory default. I think you are confused, or you are confusing us with the use of "resetting to factory firmware".

Hi,
You just push the reset button for good 5 sec. at least. If and when you can't access router with UI, did you try to ping the router? Did you do ipconfig /all, ipconfig /renew,
ipconfig /flushdns command? My last router was AC66U. Usually when I flash f/w, I start by resetting the router with reset button. Then start flashing, when done, clear the browser cache, reset it again (no power cycle) then go ahead setting it up. Now I have R7000, this router takes lot longer when resetting with button. Other option is TFTP method, also ever erase nvram?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!