What's new

ET12 6Ghz issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

furiannn

Occasional Visitor
I seem to have a strange issue with 6ghz. I've got my ET12's set up with wire backhaul, and no matter how hard I try, I cannot get the 6G band to broadcast on the router. On the node it works fine, and I can connect to it with my S21 Ultra no issues. Speeds are great, etc.

However, when I try and find the network (Which I have separated from 2.4/5G) on the router, it is completely missing.

This happens when I have tried switching the node/router around and rerunning setup, so I've effectively ruled out a hardware issue there. 6G works on the node, no matter which physical box is assigned as it.

Anyone run in to this issue?

I've submitted feedback to Asus, so hoping for a fix.

I seem to have a strange issue with 6ghz. I've got my ET12's set up with wire backhaul, and no matter how hard I try, I cannot get the 6G band to broadcast on the router. On the node it works fine, and I can connect to it with my S21 Ultra no issues. Speeds are great, etc.

However, when I try and find the network (Which I have separated from 2.4/5G) on the router, it is completely missing.

This happens when I have tried switching the node/router around and rerunning setup, so I've effectively ruled out a hardware issue there. 6G works on the node, no matter which physical box is assigned as it.

Anyone run in to this issue?

I've submitted feedback to Asus, so hoping for a fix.

Not knowing what you've done, I would install current ASUSWRT firmware, Hard Reset that firmware, and configure it from scratch... don't add a node/extend the network until the router is commissioned and working correctly, all WLANs broadcasting and stable. Test with a bare/minimal configuration.

OE

Thank you for the suggestion, that is actually something I hadnt yet considered, so will give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thank you for the suggestion, that is actually something I hadnt yet considered, so will give it a shot and see how it goes.

Some background:

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

FW Upgrade
o Save settings to .cfg file for recovery (unique to fw)
o Download fw to wired PC
Run WinMD5 to verify ASUSWRT file MD5 checksum value
Review release notes
o Eject/disconnect USB storage (free RAM; secure data)*
o Reboot AiMesh\System, wait
o Upload fw to nodes, wait; then root node, wait

FW Reinstall
o Remove nodes from AiMesh to Reset, wait
o Restore+Initialize root node to Hard Reset, wait
o Configure root node from scratch; do not Restore from .cfg file

OE

Thought I would bring this old thread up again. Have been coasting fine without 6ghz since originally bought the ET12. However, have had multiple different phones capable of 6e and now on the latest stable firmware, it simply doesnt show up in the devices. It's really strange.

I have done the FW Reinstall, restore+initialize.

Router alone: Nothing, no 6ghz detectable on S21 Ultra and Pixel 7.

Same story with the Node added and connected either with Backhaul of 6ghz or Wired.

Before I was at least getting the 6ghz to show on the node, but now nothing. I cannot figure it out.

Is anyone else running in to the same issue? Maybe hardware related? Not sure as I am in a country where this router is unavailable and so it would cost a lot to ship them back to Asus to check over. At least the 5ghz is rock solid 1200mb up and down so it's not struggling.

I live in the United Arab Emirates, and according to that wiki post it says 6ghz is permitted with certain channels, am I reading that correctly? They certainly do sell other 6e routers here.
Anything above channel 97 is not allowed, but I have been always running this at channel 85 and still run into issues.

Re-reading your original post ...

... what do you mean exactly by "try and find"? Do you mean that some 6GHz-capable client(s) you tried don't see it? If so, I bet the problem is exactly that you separated the network. Don't do that; use the same SSID/password for all bands, and make sure you enable band steering if there's a checkbox for that. That's necessary because a lot of 6GHz clients don't actually scan that band. They look for 2.4/5GHz beacons the same as they always did, and then if that beacon frame mentions that the AP also has a 6GHz channel, they'll try to connect on 6GHz. This is a popular implementation because there are so many 6GHz channels that it'd take a lot of time and power to scan them all.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!