What's new

GT-AXE11000 and ET12 Nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

birdy

Occasional Visitor
Are there some experience with a GT-AXE11000 as Main Router and some ET12 Nodes?

I have no option for an Ethernet Backhaul, so I plan to switch from 2 to 3 Band Router’s.
GT-AXE11000 as main Router running Merlin, and 2 nodes. I think ET12 will be my choice for the two Nodes.

GT-AXE11000 as main Router

GT-AXE11000 is a mid 2020 model router based on older BCM4908 platform and locked to 3.0.0.4.388 (Asuswrt 4.0) firmware. You don't want this one in 2024 and you perhaps don't want Wi-Fi 6E wireless backhaul on 6GHz band. It will have shorter range compared to 5GHz band. If you really need 3-band model routers look at GT-AX11000 Pro as main router with 2x ZenWiFi Pro XT12 as nodes. All new BCM4912 hardware platform devices with 3.0.0.6.102 (Asuswrt 5.0) in the works.

About Asuswrt-Merlin roadmap, see below:

If you insist on Asuswrt-Merlin you may have to stay on 3.0.0.4.388 base even after 3.0.0.6.102 Pro firmware is available for Pro models.

Thank you for your explanation. If I understand you right, you say, 5GHz is the better option for backhaul than 6 GHz. Maybe 5 GHz hast the better range than 6 GHz but is there really a big difference? 2.4 GHz has also a bigger range than 5 GHz, nevertheless 5 GHz is the better option for backhaul. The 5 GHz Band I have to share with Neighbor’s, and my 5GHz band runs the most time degraded to 80 MHz Bandwidth (due to Radar or something else).

Are the advantages for 3.0.0.6.102 already known in regards to 3.0.0.4.388?

but is there really a big difference?

There is a difference. The higher the frequency the lower the wall penetration.

2.4 GHz has also a bigger range than 5 GHz, nevertheless 5 GHz is the better option for backhaul.

Of course, we have barely usable 20MHz overcrowded channels on 2.4GHz band.

my 5GHz band runs the most time degraded to 80 MHz

If you want more stable Wi-Fi - use up to 80MHz wide channels in non-DFS range.

Are the advantages for 3.0.0.6.102 already known

Asuswrt 5.0 preview here:

GT and RT series routers will have different WebUI and less features. What is shown is ExpertWiFi series WebUI and features. Forget about "professional", it's marketing. The main difference with Asuswrt 4.0 is user selectable VLANs in WebUI. This opens more configuration options. It will continue further with usual security updates and fixes.

Just don't look at the WebUI presented there.

Your GT router will come with red skin WebUI typical for ROG models.

1712080743612.png

What is shown on the page is white skin ExpertWiFi series WebUI. Different marketing devices.

More coming. The two models above have official releases, the rest compatible GT and RT Pro - beta only.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!