What's new

Ethernet from your TV Outlet: NETGEAR MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fios/Westell UltraLine Series3 and MCAB1001 (FiOS and MCAB1001)

OK thanks - that's what I figured.

I was able to find the MOCA password inside the Fios Westell router's Coax LAN configuration webpage. I ordered the MCAB1001-kit online (buy.com) and expecting it next week.

I'll post how my experience goes getting the MCA1001s added to my small home network. (And if I have any questions or run into issues, I will be sure to ask :) )

So I received the MCAB1001 kit earlier this week.
I am having problems with getting it working...

As soon as I hook up the coax cable from the wall to the CoaxIn port of one of the MCA1001s, and the CoaxOut is hooked up to the STB... I loose the capability to get video-on-demand (VOD) and also the multi-room DVR capabilities. This happens even when there is no power to the MCA1001. Tried a whole bunch of settings on the MCA1001s as well as the Fios Westell router.

Need to play around with it some more.

What signal is on the wall coax? Does the Westell router have a coax/MoCA output?

What signal is on the wall coax? Does the Westell router have a coax/MoCA output?

(Just a reminder that this is for Verizon FiOS)

Yes, the Westell router has a MoCA output that provides connectivity for the coax LAN to WAN (ethernet to the fiber ONT) -- which is how I *believe* I get VOD as well as the muti-room DVR streaming capability.

So... the coax is providing CATV directly from the fiber ONT, as well as creating a coax LAN between the different STBs/DVR and Westell router to provide VOD and multiroom DVR.

Don't know if this answered your question or not.

(I am almost able to get the MCA1001s working together with all of this using splitters. Will post details of that separately, hopefully sometime later today.)

when in doubt, hold down the reset button

It sounds like it is just configured wrong. Hold down the reset button for about 15 seconds.

Very good performance so far...

The Good: Just tried some simple experiments with a pair of these. The transfer speed for a single stream is ~85Mbps between the main PC and a DNS-323 (and with security "on"). For reference, this was through 1 splitter and ~50 feet of coax. The "test case" was a 1.5GB movie (it took very close to 2:21 for the transfer either way). Also tried streaming a > 40Mbps CBR video simultaneously with a full CD rate audio feed and everything just worked. And, the cable service still works just fine (this includes the DVR functionality, on-demand services, etc).

The Bad: Enabling security requires reconfiguring the units, which is decidedly annoying as they don't support remote configuration (this was also mentioned in the original review). And, there is no option for AES encryption (only DES is supported).

The Odd: The only "oddity" with the units is that the blue LEDs are actually significantly different hues between the two units. One unit has the traditional "electric" blue LED color, the other unit has a much paler, slightly purple hue. Like I said, odd.

Overall, the performance seems very good from my perspective, and I'm quite happy with the units :)

Hope this Helps (and makes sense)...

P.S. Some very high bit rate open source test videos can be found at http://www.w6rz.net/.

You cannot connect CoaxOut to the STB that has MoCA

The CoaxOut port filters the MoCA signal, so it can only be connected to STB, TVs, or routers that are not MoCA-enabled.

You need a splitter from the wall connected to both the STB and MCA1001.

Thanks for all the helpful comments to the Unregistered posters.

I'd appreciate it if you would register if you are going to make multiple posts. Don't be shy...

encryption

Does having encryption slow down the MCA1001?

I have a empty coax cable that I can use point to point (it used to be a second satellite cable for HDTivo) , so encryption does not seem to be a concern.

Comcast Arris Telephony Modem and Netgear MOCA not working

Hi all,

I just recently bought a netgear moca to try to get wired ethernet into the basement. I've got Comcast high-speed internet running through an Arris telephony modem (We've got comcast phone service as well.)

I tried hooking up the moca but as soon as i hooked it up, the cable modem lost its internet signal...putting the moca in config mode, or unplugging it restored internet service. I found this very odd....

One reviewer at Amazon.com noted the same thing with his motorola modem, and got around it by placing the modem in moca d-band mode (as opposed to "all pass" mode.) I tried this as well, but to no avail....

Anyone run into this issue, or heard of this?

Netgear customer service couldn't help. They told me to return the unit and try another unit - i did this and same problem...

Thanks!

Re: Comcast Arris Telephony Modem and Netgear MOCA not working

Try again… Go into Netgear MoCA Configuration Menu and “restore factory default” settings to your Netgear units. After the units have successfully reset, check and make sure that they are all in MoCA “D-Band Mode”. Remember, you have to do the same for all of your Netgear units.

still no dice

Thanks for the reply.

Tried your suggestion,

I set both units to Moca D after resetting them to factory defaults.

When I connect the units, I get a flashing ethernet symbol on the moca unit, but the coax traffic LEDs on both units remain unlit....

hmmm...

I wonder if the telephony modem has anything to do with it?

But, are you still losing Internet connection after you have connected the Netgear units?

Losing Internet connection and not be able to link up are two separate problems.

If you want to debug some more, connect the two Netgear units together directly with just one coax cable. If they link up, this will prove that your units are working properly and there may be a cable disconnect or unidirectional amplifier in your house. Then, you may want to try to hook them up in different rooms.

If you are losing Internet connection, this points to an interference issue. Then, I would try disconnecting your telephone modem and etc to see if the problem will improve.

Did you ever get the coax lights to light up? I had a problem with my MCAB1001's where as soon as the coax light lit, my cable modem (Motorola Surfboard) would go offline.

I finally went back right back to the utility panel in my house and hooked everything up there and got it working - I think it was an attenuation problem with the signal because of one of my splitters. I replaced the splitter and got everything hooked up and running in the rooms where I wanted it.

If you're never getting the coax lights to light though, you may have a different problem.

Moca is a no go

No, the coax lights never actually lit up. I messed around with it quite a bit, but I've basically given up... Moca is going back to the store.

I actually called the guys who did the wiring for my house, and apparently my phones lines are running with CAT5, so they're just going to get me a direct internet connection into the basement (for $150!). :D

Hopefully someone from Netgear will read this someday and figure out a solution for this so other people won't have this problem....

In my testing, I was not able to simply connect a switch to the other end and use it with multiple devices - I had to stick a router on there, either in bridged or subnet mode - this worked fine.

Also - I did a local LAN FTP transfer test over the device between my MacBook and my Linux server and was able to achieve 90 Mbps transfers - close to real-world Fast Ethernet cap - so I don't understand why they put 100 Mbps interfaces on this device.

I sent an email to Netgear and asked about this, no reply (been weeks now).

I just posted my review here:

http://www.stationstops.com/2009/06/10/netgear-mcab1001-review-moca-coax-ethernet-adapter-kit/

Network downgraded using Moca extenders?

I am debating on using Moca extenders to extend my ethernet to a room to connect a Sony PS3 to my PC server in my basement (2 floors down) and to my TV to stream blu-ray DVD's. My question is if I add these Moca extenders will my gigabyte network get downgraded to a megabit network and do I need to be that concerned about it? Also, will I be able to stream 1080p using these Moca extenders? Thank you.

Just as connecting a 100 Mbps device to a Gigabit switch does not "downgrade" all Gigabit connections to 100 Mbps, neither will connecting a MoCA bridge. Only traffic through the Moca connection will be limited.

70 Mbps is plenty fast for a 1080p stream.

It is not like 802.11 (I am thinking airport) extenders.

We have apple airport repeaters and they do cut your throughput by 50% via each extender.

.. if that is what you were thinking.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!