What's new

News ASUS Announces the MA-25 Coax-to-Ethernet MoCA Adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLostSwede

Very Senior Member
TAIPEI, Taiwan, August 15, 2022 — ASUS today announced the MA-25 Coax-to-Ethernet MoCA Adapter, a device that uses pre-existing coaxial wiring in the home to provide wired and wireless internet connections that are fast, stable and protected. The adapter enables wiring normally set aside for cable TV to be leveraged to build a fast and reliable MoCA network in locations with thick walls and multiple floors that may affect the performance of a purely wireless network.

With the MA-25, users can enjoy up to 2.5 Gbps wired backhaul connections, with an easy band-mode switch to avoid signal interference with DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems. The MoCA Protected Setup (MPS) feature lets users securely add devices to the network with the press of one button, similarly to how WPS is used with wireless networks. Gamers may also find that a MoCA network delivers reduced latency, faster downloads and fewer lag spikes.

Installation is designed to be easy, courtesy of a right-angled cable accessory that lets the user mount the MA-25 without needing to use any tools. The MA-25 also features four mounting holes for scenarios where reinforced installation may be desirable. And it can be connected to a nearby WiFi router to wirelessly extend a home network, eliminate dead zones and reduce the potential hassles of Ethernet cable management.

As part of a deep commitment to sustainability, ASUS has invested in green product R&D for many years, acquiring strict international certifications along the way for environmentally friendly practices. The exterior housing of the MA-25 is 69% post-consumer recycled plastic that provides strong signal protection, and the paper-based packaging is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®). The box is also designed to double as a cable organizer, once its contents have been removed.

ASUS-MA-25_01.jpg

ASUS-MA-25_02-(1).jpg

ASUS-MA-25_03.jpg

Source: https://www.asus.com/

Nice. Now to find a “PoE” MoCA filter with matching stop- and pass-bands to allow use of the DOCSIS 3.1 (initial rollout) compatibility toggle switch, in “mode 1” operation.

Frequency range (per link)
Mode 1(4CH) : 1,275 ~ 1,675MHz
Mode 2(5CH) : 1,125 ~ 1,625MHz

5624A9CB-1441-47FC-BF43-1927D909D225.jpeg

Last edited:
… there are already similar products on sale on Amazon.
With the “DOCSIS 3.1 compatibility” toggle switch? (I know there are a slew of 2.5 GbE MoCA adapters; the configuration switch effecting the 4-channel compatibility mode seemed to be the differentiator for this adapter — more than the “right-angled cable accessory.” =D)

Last edited:
With the “DOCSIS 3.1 compatibility” toggle switch? (I know there are a slew of 2.5 GbE MoCA adapters; the configuration switch effecting the 4-channel compatibility mode seemed to be the differentiator for this adapter — more than the “right-angled cable accessory.” =D)
Not an expert on this, so I couldn't say.
This seems to be multi-band, but no apparently simple toggle switch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RB1QYR9/?tag=snbforums-20

Not an expert on this, so I couldn't say.
This seems to be multi-band, but no apparently simple toggle switch.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RB1QYR9/?tag=snbforums-20
Yeah, this is one of many MoCA 2.5 adapters now on the market sporting a 2.5 GbE network port. A similar Frontier-rebranded product, the FCA252, *does* have a physical configuration toggle switch … but it’s geared towards non-standard use of the 400-900 MHz range, for multi-Gig WAN connections.

Aside from the physical configuration toggle switch, ASUS’ enabling 4 bonded channels for DOCSIS 3.1 compatibility in the MA-25, though mapping to the MoCA 2.x specs document, is bolder than goCoax was willing to go when queried on the subject. IIRC, enabling D-High was their recommendation, citing potential overlap if 4 channels were attempted.

allow use of the DOCSIS 3.1 (initial rollout) compatibility toggle switch, in “mode 1” operation.

Frequency range (per link)
Mode 1(4CH) : 1,275 ~ 1,675MHz
Mode 2(5CH) : 1,125 ~ 1,625MHz

5624A9CB-1441-47FC-BF43-1927D909D225.jpeg

I missed this the first go-‘round: the linked specs and example image differ on which mode setting will net a full 5-channel MoCA 2.5 link and which would be DOCSIS 3.1 compatibility mode.

The image offers a more logical approach, with “mode 1” offering a full 5-channel connection and “mode 2” being for DOCSIS 3.1 compatibility, with 1 channel sacrificed to avoid the D3.1 “initial rollout” frequencies.

I guess we’ll see, if/when these actually hit the market.

Great to see others entering the 2.5Gb moca space. I'm actually surprised there are so many products, and am very happy as this means demand must be strong and will keep pushing the moca standard. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!