What's new

[Experimental] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 test - AiMesh/DNSSEC through OpenSSL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have updated both my AC68u's to this firmware, the mesh once updated via the main router after adding it on the old firmware so that went well.
My only concern currently is the guest network only works on the main router, no sign of it on the mesh device?

They are connected by cable with this as the priority and confirmed they are using the cable to talk.

I have updated both my AC68u's to this firmware, the mesh once updated via the main router after adding it on the old firmware so that went well.
My only concern currently is the guest network only works on the main router, no sign of it on the mesh device?

They are connected by cable with this as the priority and confirmed they are using the cable to talk.
Aimesh has never supported meshed guest network modes. limitation of it's design.

So is running a stock node basically the same as running a Merlin node aside from merlins firmware supporting user scripts and stock supporting live updates of nodes? is the rest equivalent between stock and merlin as far as nodes go? for example is a firmware from merlin up-to-date with the aimesh implementation on the stock, as far as nodes go?

Last edited:
Thank you Merlin for the experiment built :)

Though the firmware was alpha, I did not see any issue. Dirty flashed from 384.12 to 384.13 alpha2.
Scripts on router were not affected though they were backup.

Before->Now
Router -> AiMesh Router
AP -> AiMesh Node with backhaul
Repeater -> AiMesh Node

Update Sequence
1) Update AP and Repeater to alpha2
2) Update Router to alpha2.
3) Configure Repeater to AiMesh node
4) Bring it near to router. Router scan AiMesh node and add it to AiMesh.
5) Repeat 3-4 for AP.

Will monitor any connection drops when there are more users for next few weeks.

Some flexibility lost - understand that these are standard AiMesh features.
1) 2.4G and 5 G are consolidated to 2SSIDs instead of 4 previously.
2) Mac address blocking on AiMesh nodes not available.
3) It seems that nodes are auto configured on parameters like wifi channels and power setting.

res.jpg

Thank you Merlin for the experiment built :)

Though the firmware was alpha, I did not see any issue. Dirty flashed from 384.12 to 384.13 alpha2.
Scripts on router were not affected though they were backup.

Before->Now
Router -> AiMesh Router
AP -> AiMesh Node with backhaul
Repeater -> AiMesh Node

Update Sequence
1) Update AP and Repeater to alpha2
2) Update Router to alpha2.
3) Configure Repeater to AiMesh node
4) Bring it near to router. Router scan AiMesh node and add it to AiMesh.
5) Repeat 3-4 for AP.

Will monitor any connection drops when there are more users for next few weeks.

Some flexibility lost - understand that these are standard AiMesh features.
1) 2.4G and 5 G are consolidated to 2SSIDs instead of 4 previously.
2) Mac address blocking on AiMesh nodes not available.
3) It seems that nodes are auto configured on parameters like wifi channels and power setting.

View attachment 18636
why is your ED448 column servfails?

Last edited:
I am having some dropout issues, but first THANK YOU MERLIN! I have been waiting to get aimesh on your builds as a feature and am excited you finally were able to for us!

I am having some issues with my main router completely dropping all connections when I add a specific node...
AC88 - Main Router, your alpha 2 build
AC68 - AIMesh node, your alpha 2 build
AC5300 - AIMesh node, your alpha 2 build (The one causing the problems)
All nodes are wired, have set up with wireless and wired. Also set priority to wired on both with no change in issues.

Set up worked perfectly with no errors when NOT using mesh on the new alpha 2 build or previous 349.12 final.

I can get everything up and running perfectly with the 88 as the main router and 68 as mesh node. The issue occurs specifically when the 5300 is added to the system as a node. It completes the set up properly then about every 30-60 seconds, the 88 will drop all connections, including internet, and reconnect temporarily before repeating this cycle non-stop.

If I set the 5300 as a regular wired AP and not a node, there are no issues at all. My log (With misc lines removed such as DHCP requests from normal clients) shows:

Log https://pastebin.com/raw/AB1HDHGC

I have done all the normal troubleshooting. Full resets on each unit with fresh setups. Ensured firmware uploads properly again, disconnected clients on 5300, etc. It occurs whenever I try to add the 5300 as a node and no other time. No scripts or customizations.

I also see a bunch of errors which indicate a loop in the system when the 5300 is connected but it occurs even with no wired clients attached to it and does NOT occur when in AP mode.

Any ideas?

As a side question, do all settings transfer to nodes, such as Bluetooth coexistence?

Thank you again!

Last edited:
why is your ED448 column servfails?
Not sure abt that. I saw some discussions on that too. Will retest when I get back. By the way, router resolving names from cloudflare dns.

If you are having this issue between node and master, then make sure you click on the node via the main GUI and select connection priority as Ethernet because sometimes this happens if there is a switch connected in between wired node and master somewhere.

this happens do to the behaviour of a switch which is constantly firing signals, network map setup doesn't always properly deal with this.

please reference this post where i talk about setting connection priority for each wired node that makes contact between a switch.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/e...ssec-through-openssl.57489/page-4#post-503583

Normal wired back-haul setup
Point A router + point B node

One involving switch

Point A router +Point B switch+ Point C Node

UPDATE:

Decided to flash the AC88U (Node) to 384.13 alpha2 from 384.12.
Factory reset.
This time I changed Connection Priority from Auto to Ethernet
Boom, AiMesh setup and running.

It's only been 15 minutes since I made the changes but all looks good so far. It wouldn't stay up for more than a minute before.

THANKS GUYS

What is the benefit of this?
benefit? instant 8-9 degrees lowering of CPU temp. As Eric said Asus disable it possibly due to errata of CPU, so try at your own risk. But my ax88u has been solid in previous firmware versions, I assume the errata is not relevant in my usage scenario.

Reactions: FTC

Guest Wifi is not supported in AP-mode too, yes you could turn it on but clients will have full access to router and other clients like on main SSID!

Not sure abt that. I saw some discussions on that too. Will retest when I get back. By the way, router resolving names from cloudflare dns.

With Windows Firefox, test result for ED448 shows yellow lock.
However, Chrome still display red cross. Changing DNS on router does not change the result. Any ideas ?
upload_2019-7-15_19-4-5.png

benefit? instant 8-9 degrees lowering of CPU temp. As Eric said Asus disable it possibly due to errata of CPU, so try at your own risk. But my ax88u has been solid in previous firmware versions, I assume the errata is not relevant in my usage scenario.

So....again, whats the benefit of this?

You're introducing potential errors for sake of a few degrees.

Since upgrading to this version i am seeing roaming reject errors in the log. I have a 86u as primary and a gt-ac5300 as node. I din't get this before. Before is used the latest merlin release on the 86u with enabled aimesh through ssh.

So....again, whats the benefit of this?

You're introducing potential errors for sake of a few degrees.

A few degrees can make a difference between a stable system and one that is not depending on many factors. Also depending on the reason why ASUS disabled the feature you are right can risk the stability too. So I guess it is a matter of testing it individually to see which configuration is better for your specific situation. I can also confirm that my unit was working flawlessly before with cpuwait enabled.. and much cooler..

I am having some dropout issues, but first THANK YOU MERLIN! I have been waiting to get aimesh on your builds as a feature and am excited you finally were able to for us!

I am having some issues with my main router completely dropping all connections when I add a specific node...
AC88 - Main Router, your alpha 2 build
AC68 - AIMesh node, your alpha 2 build
AC5300 - AIMesh node, your alpha 2 build (The one causing the problems)
All nodes are wired, have set up with wireless and wired. Also set priority to wired on both with no change in issues.

Set up worked perfectly with no errors when NOT using mesh on the new alpha 2 build or previous 349.12 final.

I can get everything up and running perfectly with the 88 as the main router and 68 as mesh node. The issue occurs specifically when the 5300 is added to the system as a node. It completes the set up properly then about every 30-60 seconds, the 88 will drop all connections, including internet, and reconnect temporarily before repeating this cycle non-stop.

If I set the 5300 as a regular wired AP and not a node, there are no issues at all. My log (With misc lines removed such as DHCP requests from normal clients) shows:

Log https://pastebin.com/raw/AB1HDHGC

I have done all the normal troubleshooting. Full resets on each unit with fresh setups. Ensured firmware uploads properly again, disconnected clients on 5300, etc. It occurs whenever I try to add the 5300 as a node and no other time. No scripts or customizations.

I also see a bunch of errors which indicate a loop in the system when the 5300 is connected but it occurs even with no wired clients attached to it and does NOT occur when in AP mode.

Any ideas?

As a side question, do all settings transfer to nodes, such as Bluetooth coexistence?

Thank you again!
Sounds like there is a dhcp issue with the changes and the RT-AC5300, I dont see how, but there is.

Ok is it just me or? I can't find an easy way to reboot any one of the AiMesh nodes. Is the only way to reboot to pull the plug or?

Ok is it just me or? I can't find an easy way to reboot any one of the AiMesh nodes. Is the only way to reboot to pull the plug or?
You can use a SSH session on AIMesh node and type:
Code:
reboot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.