What's new

[Experimental] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 test - AiMesh/DNSSEC through OpenSSL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quad9

bee1ea68bbb5080d4f02a84959962622.jpg

Cloudflare

23378d5e9df2de937da69e3f74978bb1.jpg

Both were tested using google

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea I cannot get green's on ED448 row for the life of me on DoT or on normal with cloudflare, I don't know what I am missing as far as these results you have for cloudflare, Quad 9 does give green though.

Google DoT is iffy, sometimes it wants to play nice and sometimes it wants to splat red/green/yellow every where. Google normal servers plays nice.

Yea I cannot get green's on ED448 row for the life of me on DoT or on normal with cloudflare, I don't know what I am missing as far as these results you have for cloudflare, Quad 9 does give green though.

Google DoT is iffy, sometimes it wants to play nice and sometimes it wants to splat red/green/yellow every where. Google normal servers plays nice.

Interesting, i changed the DNS to Cloudflare then cleared the cookies etc on Edge, Chrome and Firefox then run the test again on each browser and got the results you mention

eb7111d075a01dac721ffefe728e385d.jpg

okay I wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy,

Interesting, i changed the DNS to Cloudflare then cleared the cookies etc on Edge, Chrome and Firefox then run the test again on each browser and got the results you mention

eb7111d075a01dac721ffefe728e385d.jpg

cloudflare seems to be the only one that has red on that row, it must sign those differently than quad 9, or google, or any of the other ones. My isp by far gives me the best results.

Tested alpha2 with Ac86u (master) + Ac66u b1 rev.b2 (node, update firmware via aimesh even I forgot reset factory setting before update)
Everything's ok for 3 days

cloudflare seems to be the only one that has red on that row, it must sign those differently than quad 9, or google, or any of the other ones. My isp by far gives me the best results.

When you say your ISP gives you the best results, can you explain that setup? Is that without using DoT/DNSSEC? or with it?

When you say your ISP gives you the best results, can you explain that setup? Is that without using DoT/DNSSEC? or with it?
Without DoT, cable internet. BTW so far all DNS servers tested pretty much match their DoT counter parts (eg. cloudflare, quad9, Ad Guard, Clean Browsing), but the only exception I have ran into is with Google basic DNS server v.s. Google DoT.

I ran the 13 A1 and 2 for several days without re-configuring the Stubby or DNSMASQ settings. As before I get much better results with Cloudflare and CleanBrowsing than Quad9 on DoT/DNSSEC. My ISP routes the anycast for Quad9 to resolvers 1,000 miles or more away while the Cloudflare goes to a data center less than 100 miles as the crow flies. The two RT-AC68U's I manage on Comcast work very well (384.12) on Quad9 with DoT/DNSSEC.
However, I seem to get better all around operation with enabling DNSSEC via Stubby. This does pose a problem getting DNS working after reboot as Stubby uses retrieved root keys.

Most users will do just fine using Merlin's DoT/DNSSEC GUI configuration.
Must be the data center location, I get dropouts with CB. Q9 works great. Too bad about CB as they have done better in security comparison tests that I have seen in the past.

Now this is odd the router flat out refused to assign ip's to devices both wireless and wired tell i restarted the router.

AC86U alpha 2

Now this is odd the router flat out refused to assign ip's to devices both wireless and wired tell i restarted the router.

AC86U alpha 2
is this with aimesh? this is because your network went down. this is an odd behavior occurs sometimes with aimesh, especially on wan failures. you will be able to connect to the main router if you can lock onto its SSID, but the mesh nodes will refuse connection. what happens, is the nodes start to go crazy while the router is trying to re-establish connection, it causes a buggy behavior, and is completely fixable once you reboot the main.

is this with aimesh? this is because your network went down. this is an odd behavior occurs sometimes with aimesh, especially on wan failures. you will be able to connect to the main router if you can lock onto its SSID, but the mesh nodes will refuse connection. what happens, is the nodes start to go crazy while the router is trying to re-establish connection, it causes a buggy behavior, and is completely fixable once you reboot the main.

Yeah went nuts now things are back up.

Yeah went nuts now things are back up.
I remember the first time I saw this behavior, it even happens on stock as well. if it happens to you real often, the fix to calm this bad behavior is a fresh start, but usually you can decide on whether something like that becomes necessary.

Yeah, seems that cloud flare does not support that cipher(i might be wrong)! And i don't know if its a region thing or not! Here in Brazil using cloud flare i get the same result:

OrPz5Ca.png

I am running the alpha 2 version in AiMesh and seeing the below in the log is it of any concern. My setup is in my signature.

July 20 13:11:38 kernel: jffs2: warning: (745) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary, padsize = -1280

Using the FW 384.12. Configuring the Unbound + Stubby gave to set up similar tests of the solution rootcanary dnsmasq + openssl Merlin on FW 384.13-Alpha.
dqEa2Z8.png

I don't have time to go thru the thread this weekend (or much else as the wife will be hunting me down any sec). So can the nodes now also use Eric's firmware?

Thanks for bearing with me. A waste is a terrible thing to mind. ;)

Is anyone having issues running Wi-Fi Radar, it all opens, but no stats/data is being displayed with a AiMesh setup, running in either Chrome or Firefox,even after dumping browser cache. Currently running alpha 2.

Thanks Merlin my AiMesh setup has been running without a glitch no dropouts, nodes remain connected and stabill, etc. Great job......

Are you able to further develop AiMesh now or is that code all locked down to ASUS?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!