What's new

Fast Ethernet vLAN (802.1Q) switches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tho3hite

Occasional Visitor
I need to segment my office building into a bunch of vLANs. Right now I need about 20 vLANs for the office this could grow to as many as 35 in the future. These switches will only carry traffic to and from our router/gateway with a 22Mbps connection. There shouldn't be any local device to device traffic running over these switches.

I've been looking at 10/100 24 port switches from Netgear. They have four different product lines that I might choose from and it's a bit hard to determine which switch will give us enough features without paying for extras I don't need.

Netgear product lines/models:
Managed switches: FSM726-300 $270
Stackable Smart Switches: FS728TS $220
Smart Switches: FS726T $180
ProSafe Plus Smart Switches: JFS524E $100 (New "green" line w/o web management)

I'd prefer to only buy 24-ports now and add a second switch later--it may never be needed or I may need the extra ports in the future to be gigabit.

I think the regular "smart" switch will be fine. Although you should check the specs to see how many VLANs is will support.

If you don't mind using a Windows app to manage the switch, you might try the ProSafe Plus switches. But, again, check that the # of VLANs supported is sufficient.

ProSafe Plus

I spent a couple of hours online and talking to Netgear pre-sales tech support. They couldn't tell me how many VLAN the new switches support. I'm a Mac user but I could run emulation software to configure the switch.

My bigger concern is that I have seen reports online of very inconsistent behavior from this switch. It seems that some switches in this line have firmware that can't be upgraded when a bug is found. Ouch!

I'm concerned because it's a new product line and I need to put the switch into service right away and depend on it.

I decided to order a FS726T online from eSecurityToGo for about $170. I'll post back after I've installed and configured the switch about my experiences with it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!