What's new

[Feature Request] Disable WAN/Assign WAN port to switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GraFfiX

Occasional Visitor
Hello, just started using AsusWRT Merlin and I have to say good job! Seems to perform much better than the stock firmware on my RT-AC87U. I am hoping you can steer me in the right direction to handle a feature request.

I would like the ability to disable the WAN port and assign the WAN port to the switch. This is a feature in builds of DD-WRT, so I was hoping it wouldn't be too complicated of an addition. Maybe there is a way I can do it manually editing NVRAM? If so, maybe a feature addition is not required. Any help or feature addition would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I noticed that the NVRAM variables referenced in the DD-WRT wiki are also available on ASUSWRT. You can try messing with them at your own risk. The referenced wiki has detailed instructions

Last edited:
The last time I looked if you set your router using Merlin as an AP then you have the option to make the WAN port a LAN port. That is the way I have my AC68 functioning as AP and the WAN port is being used as a LAN port.

The last time I looked if you set your router using Merlin as an AP then you have the option to make the WAN port a LAN port. That is the way I have my AC68 functioning as AP and the WAN port is being used as a LAN port.

Wow, I never realized this. Running the latest stable build of Merlin, when I set the router to AP mode it looks like the WAN port is automatically joined to the switch. I don't see any option to assign WAN port to switch, but plugging into the WAN port directly from my other switch appears to work. Thanks!

Wow, I never realized this. Running the latest stable build of Merlin, when I set the router to AP mode it looks like the WAN port is automatically joined to the switch. I don't see any option to assign WAN port to switch, but plugging into the WAN port directly from my other switch appears to work. Thanks!

Hello,

I have been looking for the same feature, I have the network configuration in such a way that Asus 1900 AC-RT68U would be acting as an access point connected to a transparent proxy/UTM (Untangle running on a thin Dell Optiplex FX160 modded machine) connected to my ISP provided Huawei Fiber Optic Box/Router

So it is
AC RT68U --> UTM (Untangle) --> Huawei FiberBox --> Internet

I have tried using AC RT68U as an access point, the only problem is once you switch to access point mode, your WAN port may be assigned to LAN pool, however you lose all abilities to run VPN Client and other features of the router, it is evident from the reduced system menu bar on the right (as shown in the screenshot below).

images hostingcertificity.com

This is not the case in running Advanced Tomato, as I was running Advanced Tomato on Netgear WNR3500L in a wireless switch/access point mode and did have access to all features including Captive Portal/Tor/VPN and so on.

Well i did really wanted to use AsusMerlin, but the above mentioned limitation is a deal breaker for me, as I have VPN access which I use quite often to redirect all home internet traffic.

So seems like i would resort to Advanced Tomato for the time being, unless I am short sighted and someone shares a better idea or guidance for it.

Thanks, would love to see this feature in Asus Merlin.

Hello,

I have been looking for the same feature, I have the network configuration in such a way that Asus 1900 AC-RT68U would be acting as an access point connected to a transparent proxy/UTM (Untangle running on a thin Dell Optiplex FX160 modded machine) connected to my ISP provided Huawei Fiber Optic Box/Router

So it is
AC RT68U --> UTM (Untangle) --> Huawei FiberBox --> Internet

I have tried using AC RT68U as an access point, the only problem is once you switch to access point mode, your WAN port may be assigned to LAN pool, however you lose all abilities to run VPN Client and other features of the router, it is evident from the reduced system menu bar on the right (as shown in the screenshot below).

images hostingcertificity.com

This is not the case in running Advanced Tomato, as I was running Advanced Tomato on Netgear WNR3500L in a wireless switch/access point mode and did have access to all features including Captive Portal/Tor/VPN and so on.

Well i did really wanted to use AsusMerlin, but the above mentioned limitation is a deal breaker for me, as I have VPN access which I use quite often to redirect all home internet traffic.

So seems like i would resort to Advanced Tomato for the time being, unless I am short sighted and someone shares a better idea or guidance for it.

Thanks, would love to see this feature in Asus Merlin.

Any ideas or updated in the newer versions.

I noticed that the NVRAM variables referenced in the DD-WRT wiki are also available on ASUSWRT. You can try messing with them at your own risk. The referenced wiki has detailed instructions
Good tip. I will try this myself. Looking for the opposite which is to have the WAN port and two more ports in the same network, Sounds weird but this will simplify my chain of routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!