What's new

Fiber Optic Speed on GT-AC5300 Slower than Cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Umrk

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

I’m stuck and hope you can help. 12 days ago, I switched ISPs from cable (Spectrum) to Ting (FO). After it was installed, I tested the wired connection (my laptop/adapter connected by 5 ft Cat 6 to router) and I saw no improvement in the download speed (350-450 Mbps) compared to cable. The upload speed, though, went from ~20 to > 500 Mbps. I’ve had issues with streaming video (wifi) and gaming (2 wired Xbox 1s)

When I connected directly to the ISP's ONT, I got 900+ Mbps. were as expected, running 900+. It seems that the router is the bottle neck. So, after a factory reset I tested the connection again and the results were about the same (+/- 50 Mbps). With the exceptions of passwords, everything else is factory settings. Do you have any suggestion(s) on fixing this by tweaking the settings on ASUS GT-5300?

Thanks you in advance,

Umrk

Go to Administration - Privacy and "Withdraw" from any features that are listed there. Reboot the router and test again.

@Umrk, what firmware is the router running?
Did you perform a hard factory reset?

When you reset the router did you import a saved router.CFG file? If so, do another hard factory reset without importing any router.CFG file. Manually reconfigure the router when performing a hard factory reset. Also do not have a USB hard drive attached to the router when performing a hard factory reset and manually reconfiguring the router. Do not enable any extra features like QoS, AiProtection, AiMesh, etc. Just do a minimal basic initial manual setup after hard factory reset.

As a troubleshooting step, try another computer that has an Gigabit Ethernet port and which can be directly connected to the router's LAN port(s).

Also make sure to only have the computer for speed testing connected to you router (no other wired and no wireless clients).
Check the router Ethernet Port status for proper bps indications.

1712507673441.png

In your case WAN and the LAN test port should at least read 1 Gbps.

This router can handle Gigabit ISP easily. It's basically the same hardware as GT-AX11000, but with BCM4366E (AC) radios instead of BCM43684 (AX).

Go to Administration - Privacy and "Withdraw" from any features that are listed there. Reboot the router and test again.
I don't use any option that requires me to share my internet traffic with Trend Micro. If I had known sharing all internet traffic was required when using those options, I would never have bought this router,. In fact, based upon the total lack of customer support I have received from ASUS to date, I won't buy another one of their bricks ever again.

This router can handle Gigabit ISP easily. It's basically the same hardware as GT-AX11000, but with BCM4366E (AC) radios instead of BCM43684 (AX).
That's exactly what I thought. But the max I've gotten is 428 Mbps. Some setting is liiting the speed.

Also make sure to only have the computer for speed testing connected to you router (no other wired and no wireless clients).
Check the router Ethernet Port status for proper bps indications.

View attachment 57756

In your case WAN and the LAN test port should at least read 1 Gbps.
This is how I tested the router's speed. I connected my device to the router with CAT 6 cable and no other ports were occupied.

When you reset the router did you import a saved router.CFG file? If so, do another hard factory reset without importing any router.CFG file. Manually reconfigure the router when performing a hard factory reset. Also do not have a USB hard drive attached to the router when performing a hard factory reset and manually reconfiguring the router. Do not enable any extra features like QoS, AiProtection, AiMesh, etc. Just do a minimal basic initial manual setup after hard factory reset.

As a troubleshooting step, try another computer that has an Gigabit Ethernet port and which can be directly connected to the router's LAN port(s).
I did a factory reset the day the FO was connected. There w\as no significant change in the speed.

Hello Bennor,
Thank you for considering my issue. I've donre a factory reset the day the ONT device was installed. I included an image of the firmware version (Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_51529-g70acb9d). I believe some setting is the cayuse. The problem I have is that there are 100s of settings.

Attachments

• ASUS_Firmware.JPG
    ASUS_Firmware.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 9
FWIW, Calls and posts to ASUS's forums have not resulted in anyone from ASUS offering technical support. I have received several emails telling me they are researching the problem and to be patient. But it's been 2 weeks and their messages don't change.

This is how I tested the router's speed. I connected my device to the router with CAT 6 cable and no other ports were occupied.
And what speed does the port status show you?
I believe some setting is the cayuse. The problem I have is that there are 100s of settings.
After bringing the router to factory defaults the router shall start with the setup wizard, now manually only make these settings to start with:
  • Router Login Name.
  • Router Login Password.
  • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
  • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
  • Leave everything else default.
Test again with only the above bare minimal settings.

Last edited:
And what speed does the port status show you?

After bringing the router to factory defaults the router shall start with the setup wizard, now manually only make these settings to start with:
  • Router Login Name.
  • Router Login Password.
  • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
  • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
  • Leave everything else default.
Test again with only the above bare minimal settings.
Hello Wouterv, Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue. Unfortunately, your description/instructions above is exactly how my router is configured.

That GT-AC5300 you're using is ancient. In addition to being EOL.

https://www.asus.com/event/network/EOL-product/

That's no way to judge a manufacturer.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the recommended best bang for the buck router today.
I don't think I will buy another ASUS product, mostly due to the "technical support" I've (haven't) received. But another key reason is one must agree to share all internet traffic that passes thru the router with Trend Micro. I've reached out to ASUS to learn why this insane, intrusive policy vacating my privacy rights to Trend Micro is in place, but ASUS representatives claim they don't know the reason or purpose. (sure) If this policy affects the RT-AX88U Pro, then I question anyone who would agree to it in order to use their devices. What sane person would agree to giving up their privacy as well as the privacy of all users connected to an ASUS device simply to use their router?

But another key reason is one must agree to share all internet traffic that passes thru the router with Trend Micro.
You do not have to use or even enable the Trend Micro/AiProtection feature. Router works just fine with out it. By default that feature is not enabled.

The TrendMicro stuff you can opt-out...

This router should be able to do gigabit symmetric, but it does require the NAT acceleration to do so...

Regarding whether to purchase another Asus product - I'll be honest, they're no better or worse than any other consumer gear, and they've generally supported their HW over a longer period of time compared to other vendors.

Moving to another vendor - might be a good thing, but also consider that if you've had the AC5300 since it was released, it's something you know, and Asus has been remarkably consistent with their UI and feature sets

as well as the privacy of all users connected

The "Privacy" tab was renamed to "Policy" in newer Asuswrt versions. They fixed the privacy. 🤫

Hello Wouterv, Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue. Unfortunately, your description/instructions above is exactly how my router is configured.
You still don't reply to the question about the port speed indication.
If set with the suggested bare minimal, the optional Trend Micro AiProtection stuff is OFF by default.

On Internet there is not such a thing as privacy, it is as private as your house: the post man can (if he want) open your mail and read it and at least see where packages come from (like Amazon or Alibaba), neighbors can peek through your curtains or see what you wear when going out and what car you drive and see who is entering and leaving your house. In a worse situation someone can force open your backdoor.
Many mechanisms on Internet do somehow reveal information and if you manage to bring all those revealed pieces and parts together about everything about you is known.
If you enter a URL like https://www.snbforums.com in your browser, a whole lot of information about your computer, browser, internet connection and what ever more is spread out on the internet.
Trendmicro uses their central database to determine if things are safe or not, how else would they be able to verify that? And again, you don't have to use their service (common sense is often safer).

Regarding ASUS: they are about the number one in support and firmware (security) updates, well ok some routers appear to have a shorter life span than others which is not always to be blamed to ASUS.

You still don't reply to the question about the port speed indication.
If set with the suggested bare minimal, the optional Trend Micro AiProtection stuff is OFF by default.

On Internet there is not such a thing as privacy, it is as private as your house: the post man can (if he want) open your mail and read it and at least see where packages come from (like Amazon or Alibaba), neighbors can peek through your curtains or see what you wear when going out and what car you drive and see who is entering and leaving your house. In a worse situation someone can force open your backdoor.
Many mechanisms on Internet do somehow reveal information and if you manage to bring all those revealed pieces and parts together about everything about you is known.
If you enter a URL like https://www.snbforums.com in your browser, a whole lot of information about your computer, browser, internet connection and what ever more is spread out on the internet.
Trendmicro uses their central database to determine if things are safe or not, how else would they be able to verify that? And again, you don't have to use their service (common sense is often safer).

Regarding ASUS: they are about the number one in support and firmware (security) updates, well ok some routers appear to have a shorter life span than others which is not always to be blamed to ASUS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!