What's new

"File format or path is invalid" when attempting to restore settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bhall7

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I just re-flashed my Asus RT-AC66U with v. 3.0.0.4.374.34_2 of Asuswrt-Merlin. I reset the settings to the factory settings. When I attempted to restore my settings which I have saved in a Settings_RT-AC66U.CFG file, it shows an error message that says, "File format or path is invalid!" (see attachment).

Any idea why this is happening? It would be great if I could simply restore my settings rather than have to manually reconfigure everything.

Thanks!

Attachments

• RT-AC66U_Restore_Config_Error.png
    RT-AC66U_Restore_Config_Error.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 636
Make sure you are on the Restore Setting page and not the Firmware upgrade one.

If it still fails, try a different browser.

I can confirm that I am on the correct page (Advanced Settings->Administration->Restore/Save/Upload Setting).

I tried on Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, and got the same error on all three when trying to restore my settings file.

This is a replacement ASUS RT-AC66U which ASUS sent after my first one had a power failure. I immediately flashed it with Asuswrt-Merlin out of the box. Would a different physical device make a difference (same exact model)? Are the settings/configuration files encrypted or otherwise tied to individual devices? Perhaps this is why I'm unable to restore from my saved settings file.

I can confirm that I am on the correct page (Advanced Settings->Administration->Restore/Save/Upload Setting).

I tried on Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, and got the same error on all three when trying to restore my settings file.

This is a replacement ASUS RT-AC66U which ASUS sent after my first one had a power failure. I immediately flashed it with Asuswrt-Merlin out of the box. Would a different physical device make a difference (same exact model)? Are the settings/configuration files encrypted or otherwise tied to individual devices? Perhaps this is why I'm unable to restore from my saved settings file.

Don't restore saved settings coming from a different device. The stored MAC addresses will be different, for starter.

Anyway, I suspect your saved config might be corrupted if it refuses to be accepted by the router.

My router stopped working after we had an electrical storm recently. I replaced it, and tried to restore my settings, but this is clearly not working. What's the point of saving your configuration/settings? Cross-device configuration backup/restore always worked with Tomato USB. Doesn't seem to work with Asuswrt so well. Perhaps the config file is hashed/encrypted to a serial number or other device-specific identifier.

Last edited:
When I attempted to restore my settings which I have saved in a Settings_RT-AC66U.CFG file

Naming the file "Settings.CFG" solved same problem for me.

P.S. I hate when I can't drop that single line without registering on yet another forum...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!