What's new

Firewalla Gold Plus Suitability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHammer

Very Senior Member
I have an opportunity to buy a Gold Plus for 75% off through a friend.
I'm wondering if I should. I like the features, think the data offered on network use would be a nice thing.
If I do this, I'll have to swap it in as router. I have a well functioning network so I don't want to find that this box will not perform for me.
Any input will be appreciated on suitability for my use case.

I understand that the inbuilt DDNS is only for the firewalla DDNS, but you can in fact install ddclient. If true, no worries on the DDNS.

My current setup. The managed switches and MoCA aren't a concern as I used them to configure a similar things for a friend of mine (Thanks again @drinkingbird )

1 ASUS RT-AX86U running Asuswrt-Merlin as the router
This provides DHCP including static IP address assignments, DDNS, Forced DNS redirection to piholes, port forwarding of 3 ports to both IPv4 and IPv6 (via routes for IPv6)

Static address devices

1 ASUS RT-AX58U running ASUS stock as AP
2 managed switches
1 unmanaged switch
2 MoCA devices
2 pihole
1 proxmox with 6 containers 1 NIC for proxmox management, 1 NIC for container bridge
1 NAS
1 networked printer
2 Davis PWS devices
1 HDHR cable tuner
1 Sony 'smart' TV
1 Bose 500 speaker
4 Nest smoke/CO alarms
1 smoker controller
1 LG washer
1 LG dryer
1 garage door monitor
4 Kasa smart plugs

DHCP devices
8-10 PCs, phones, tablets.

DDNS
Google DDNS to point to 2 webservers, 1 mosquitto server run in house

@Tech9

So, it is nice to help your friend out.

But you want to take a working network and potentially punish yourself?

Not worth that $150 USD price to me.

Because of the sentence above it.

Don't read my initial reply as individual words. Read it in its entirety and the meaning is clear.

Likewise.
I asked a straightforward question.
You gave nothing that would be an answer.
Opinion I guess, but thanks just the same, I'll decide what I want to do.

If you have any facts that pertain, please do

I would definitely buy x86 Intel hardware firewall with 2.5GbE ports for $150. As far as I know Firewalla uses M.2 SSD drive. I would take the drive out and keep it for restore back to Firewalla purposes. Then new SSD and pfSense/OPNsense, Sophos Firewall Home Edition, Untangle... Windows. It's a mini PC.

I would definitely buy x86 Intel hardware firewall with 2.5GbE ports for $150. It's a mini PC.

That's one way to look at it.
It is a nice hardware package.
I think there is a dongle to authorize the cloud management. Backing up the entire system for potential restore makes sense.
Then, if it did not perform well, I can install others.
If it does nothing lost but the time to roll my network onto a new platform.

But, still no info on if it will work for my use.
Around 2 years ago pf/opn sense would not route IPv6 to the machines needed.

I'm not much for answers that don't address the question, so when I asked in their forums and got "Dont run v6" as the answer, I removed it.

Maybe it's better today. Still have to roll my network to find out though.

I gave you the facts I perceive as most important with regard to the information you provided.

As you said, you'll do what you want. I've already stated what I would do. And to be as specific as possible, I replied to your 'I'm wondering if I should.'.

Everything is an opinion, of course. Because that is just a nice way to say you disagree with my assessment. Nothing concrete in what you have initially posted would make me give any other answer.

Pointedly;

"I have a well functioning network so I don't want to find that this box will not perform for me.".

That is why I said, 'potentially punish yourself'.

If you have an itch to spend time and money, or just help out a friend, scratch it. But consider that your friend is willing to 'lose' 75% of their investment and they're good with that too. That indicates to me the level of hardware you think you'll be getting (and directly from someone who used it too).

It consider that your friend is willing to 'lose' 75% of their investment and they're good with that too. That indicates to me the level of hardware you think you'll be getting (and directly from someone who used it too).
First, nobody is selling their unit. Offering me a discount.
No, you gave zero facts.
Opinion, and not really even that. Let's just stay with zero fact, zero knowledge of the subject opinion

Not what I'm looking for and you'd do well to take a powder.

It is a nice hardware package.

Come on... $150 may not be enough for family dinner. The hardware will make circles around any home router now and future models for years. It's similar to Protectli boxes and you can't get one with all 2.5GbE ports for $150. Looking at your system you perhaps know what are you doing and I'm sure you'll find use for this hardware with or without Firewalla software on it. Get one for me too, please. I can get two if available.

Get one for me too, please. I can get two if available.
Ha!
You'd have to live in Laos with us for 5 long years to qualify.
Trust me, it really wouldn't be worth it.

You'd have to live in Laos with us for 5 long years to qualify

I've been to Thailand and Cambodia twice. If your country is similar - forget Firewalla, I'm coming. :)

I've been to Thailand and Cambodia twice. If your country is similar - forget Firewalla, I'm coming. :)
Ah, so you've got the idea of it.

Much more than just an idea. I wanted to buy a house in Cambodia, but it turned out to be complicated.

I don't know how much money is $150 for you, but I believe this Firewalla is a good deal and you may actually like it. @Smokey613 uses Firewalla Gold and he may share some experience. It's more home than business product. The UI is made easy for people with no much networking experience.

Last edited:
Much more than just an idea. I wanted to buy a house in Cambodia, but it turned out to be complicated.
Yeah, unless you do a favor for someone and get a land grant of 5 hectares, damn near impossible for foreigners to buy land.
I've seen a lot of 'smooth operators' get fleeced when they have a local 'partner' buy the bar/house/farm for them.

But, I had a good run and I moved back to the US for the medical care.
Living in SE Asia takes a lot out of you...

I sent this question to the Firewalla support email address. While the reply was quick enough, it was atrocious.
Firewalla (Firewalla)
Mar 15, 2023, 15:32 PDT
You can install programs to run on the box see Customized Scripting

Gold/Gold plus best used in router mode, see Firewalla Router Mode Configuration Guide

You will need to use the asus in AP mode

First, nobody is selling their unit. Offering me a discount.
No, you gave zero facts.
Opinion, and not really even that. Let's just stay with zero fact, zero knowledge of the subject opinion

Not what I'm looking for and you'd do well to take a powder.

Offering you a discount is called selling it. Or, is he leasing it to you? :rolleyes:

Yeah, typical manufacturer support for 2023. Expect nothing more (this is why forums such as SNB exist).

I won't take a powder, as this is a public forum. Ask questions, I'll answer if I want. Your perception of the quality of my answer isn't my issue, it's yours.

With over 70 views from over 6 hours ago and no better answers (with facts), you may need to be more open and perceptive to the answers already given.

But I think you'll go ahead and buy the 'superior' hardware, take down your working network and come back and say it was worth it to get back to where you are now. :)

Offering you a discount is called selling it. Or, is he leasing it to you? :rolleyes:

Yeah, typical manufacturer support for 2023. Expect nothing more (this is why forums such as SNB exist).

I won't take a powder, as this is a public forum. Ask questions, I'll answer if I want. Your perception of the quality of my answer isn't my issue, it's yours.

With over 70 views from over 6 hours ago and no better answers (with facts), you may need to be more open and perceptive to the answers already given.

But I think you'll go ahead and buy the 'superior' hardware, take down your working network and come back and say it was worth it to get back to where you are now. :)

You have some sort of delusion of grandeur don't you?
Aren't you the 'Factory reset for everything' guy?

Sadly, you fixate on your interpretation of 'discount'. Again, in simple terms for you, my friend (a term you aren't likely familiar with) has a code. This code will allow me to buy a shiny, new, unit. My friend is not selling anything, not getting money, you get the picture now or is it over your head?

Wow, a whole 70 views and no definitive answer. I'm shocked. Which 'answer' shall I choose oh wise one? Because there isn't anyone who has answered the questions I posed.

If I do take the very generous offer from my friend (sorry, you wouldn't understand) I won't be where I am now.
First, it'll be a new router. Second, I'll have a few additional 2.5 gb ports available for enhancing my internal network. Third, I'll learn something about a new device (sorry again, you don't seem to be a learning type to me).

Have at it, post silly responses in my thread and I'll have some fun with you. Rather not, but some people never get the hint. You are today's prize winner.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!