What's new

Firmware 380.59 Client list problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The problem is that factory reset doesn't clear content of parameter custom_clientlist.

Asus now stores some of that data in the JFFS partition, because some people had such a large network that it was filling up all available nvram.

Those with issues, see if the following outputs anything looking wrong to you:

Code:
nvram get nmp_client_list | tr ">" "\t" | tr "<" "\n"

And
Code:
cat /jffs/nmp_client_list | tr ">" "\t" | tr "<" "\n"

Or, if you have Excel/LibreOffice/OpenOffice, replace "\t" with "," to output in CSV format, so you can easily paste it into Excel, then look at each columns this way.

Funny that the DPI engine thinks that my Win10 laptop is an Xbox... In other cases however, it's scarily precise:

Code:
000c2958c85f        mint-dev        0    0    0    0    mint-dev    Ubuntu    Desktop/Laptop    Ubuntu 12 based distro

Update:

I did a nvram reset and then powered down and back up. Put in all my settings manually and now it works like it should.
Confirm that.
Suffered from the same issue.
Reset and manually restored config (names and icons for net devices too) - client list show as designed!

@john9527 could it have anything to do with the fact Last Backup I have was on when I was on 380.57 with is v24 , and do a restore and when it ask if i wan do clean reset I say no cause I do updates fw I do factory reset hell I do factor reset before restore any before I do any restore threw nvram
It's possible that they changed the format of the clientlist var, similar to the multiple changes that have been made in the maclist filter formatting. I'll send you a PM with my email, and if you can send me the earlier nvram-restore-yyyymmdd-xxxx.sh and the new one you just saved, I can do a check to see if it changed and see if I can add a correction to the tool to reformat it if necessary.

Those with issues, see if the following outputs anything looking wrong to you:

Code:
nvram get nmp_client_list | tr ">" "\t" | tr "<" "\n"

And
Code:
cat /jffs/nmp_client_list | tr ">" "\t" | tr "<" "\n"

[/code]

Very interesting.
By me cmd "nvram get nmp_client_list" gives empty output, but file /jffs/nmp_client_list exists and the size is > 0.

ls -l /jffs/nmp_client_list
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 735 May 18 20:27 /jffs/nmp_client_list

The file /jffs/nmp_client_list contains only part of my wifi devices, where is the rest?

Ok so I had to Factory reset my router again to get rid of old devices from being listed, and Once again the PS3 once it is connected it make the client list goes blank and client status remain populated the Entry for the PS3 i not editable. I pretty sure this has nothing to do with corrupt clientlist, it something in the firmware is buggy

Ok so I had to Factory reset my router again to get rid of old devices from being listed, and Once again the PS3 once it is connected it make the client list goes blank and client status remain populated the Entry for the PS3 i not editable. I pretty sure this has nothing to do with corrupt clientlist, it something in the firmware is buggy

Did you format the JFFS partition and reboot at least three times afterwards?

Bringing back an old thread.

So I had a rt-ac66r up until yesterday and I thought I'll just deal with not seeing my clients list who cares. I recently upgraded to the AC-3100. Everything was working great for about 2 hours. Multiple clients 2.4 and 5 wireless and 10 clients wired probably <20 all working fine. My son comes home from the movies and boots his PS4 and only two wired clients in the clients list. I can see all the address in the DHCP list. What could it possibly be. This stinks.

I tired to put in a static DHCP address because the ps4 was coming online with * as the host name. However, I see some apple devices with the same * as host name so that likely not it.

I didnt do any back up or restore and worked on cutting everything over for 2 hours and its all working until my son boots PS4.

admin@ac3100:/jffs# cat /jffs/nmp_client_list | tr ">" "\t" | tr "<" "\n"

0050569b1633 0 0 0 0
0050569b4734 0 0 0 0
00005e000165 0 0 0 0
44a842373e29 0 0 0 0
000c29f1ca96 0 0 0 0
0050569b9837 0 0 0 0
44a842373e2b 0 0 0 0

Also bumping an old thread. I've had an erratic client list for so long I thought it was just "normal behavior." Things would dynamically appear, disappear, the whole list would go blank and come back etc. But it was getting worse so I googled and found this thread. I did a factory reset and the list is much more static and stable now. It's not perfect, but the one or two things that drop out I can chalk up to perhaps legitimate drops. Before, the entire list would get cut in half, or go blank, and then rebuild itself--almost on a polling type interval.

It's been a long time since I did a factory reset and I've been through quite a few Merlin upgrades, so perhaps I was just overdue.

Edit: this thread references PS3 and PS4s--I have a PS4 but it's off and I don't think it had anything to do with whatever issue was affecting me.

I had the same problem (PS3 / PS4 on the network) and once I updated to 380.70 it disapeared. Upgraded to 384.5 and the client list is still ok.