What's new

Firmware update (384.11_2>>>384.12) for ac87u not taking effect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zachwithanasusrouter

New Around Here
I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum; very green here.

I just downloaded the firmware update suggested by my router, upload process completed. Application of settings completed. Network went down and then back up, just like you'd expect.

Problem: It still lists the router firmware as not being updated. My signature is updated, but not the firmware.

Any magicians have ideas?

I just downloaded the firmware update suggested by my router, upload process completed. Application of settings completed. Network went down and then back up, just like you'd expect.

Problem: It still lists the router firmware as not being updated. My signature is updated, but not the firmware.

Do you have any USB devices plugged into the router? Safely remove them using the GUI.

Even if you don't have any USB devices connected, reboot the router via the GUI to free up some RAM.

Wait 5 minutes after you've rebooted and then flash the new firmware file again. :)

It took me 3x for it to stick. First time I tried with the USB drive still mounted. While it looked like it was going to work, upon reboot I was still on 384.11.2. So, unmount the USB drive and try again. Still no joy. 3rd try was the charm and my ac87u was on 384.12.

Going into it, I knew that I had a very small percentage (i.e. ~0%) chance of it working with the USB drive mounted. But, I tried it anyway.

With your magic powers combined, I am 384.12. The old off/on-bruteforce combo.

As thanks, a joke with angles:

There's a computer science class stuck on a problem trying to solve a boot error. Every time, no matter what flags they change, it boots to the same blue screen of frustration, and so they go on powering down, powering up.... Finally frustrated, the professor says "if you don't understand the problem, you'll never solve it by just pressing the power button!" The professor then powers the machine off and on, and it works, because he understood the problem.