What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Another month gone by, and another update release....

LATEST RELEASE: Update-05
02-November-2014
Merlin fork 374.43_2-05j9527
Download http://1drv.ms/1uChm3J
===============================

Thx John, I'll give it a go soon.

Edit:
-05 is working fine here.
Using the basics and OpenVPN.

Last edited:
Thanks John will be updating later this evening. :)

EDIT: Just finished the upgrade to Ver 5, no issues as of yet. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I think I may have tacked down where the problem stems if it helps anyone.
/release/src/router/rc/services.c#L1306 (guess it's still an issue in 376 line as well....

Guess the assumption was the full addresses were stored in the _start\_end nvram vars upon getting an ipv6 assignment, but their not and best I can tell they're not supposed to be, or maybe they are and the webadmin page stuff isn't doing it, one of them seems true but can't be 'both'. Or someone at asus had dnsmasq 6 on their mind and thought the ::xxxx format would work here.

Just wanted to let you know I saw your post and will add it to my list of things to take a look at (the code here has actually changed between 374 and 376). It appears there's also quite a bit of logic in the actual web page code that I need to check (as well as read up some on ipv6 :)). I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention from your first post....on this fork you can disable the syslog writes to jffs so you don't have to set it read-only. You'll need to manually delete the old jffs syslog files if you want to get rid of them.

Code:
nvram set jffs2_log=0
nvram commit && reboot

Last edited:
By all accounts, 374 firmwares have better range and performance then the newer 376 firmwares released by Asus?

Is it recommended I flash w/ 374 or update to the latest 376? :confused:

Only with the RT-N66U. For other routers, performance should be the same, or slightly better or worse, depending the model, unless you start messing with the bootloader or output power.

Is the upnp fix mentioned in v5 for xbox one and the "restricted NAT after suspend" issue?

Im currently running update 04 on my RT-N66U and wanted to update to 05. Do i need to restore to factory defaults and setup as new or can i just update without a restore to defaults?

Im currently running update 04 on my RT-N66U and wanted to update to 05. Do i need to restore to factory defaults and setup as new or can i just update without a restore to defaults?

Just update....no restore to factory defaults needed.

Is the upnp fix mentioned in v5 for xbox one and the "restricted NAT after suspend" issue?

I don't think so. From what I've read, the 'suspend' issue is on the Xbox with it not responding correctly to upnp commands after resume.

The feedback is that seems to help in the case of multiple Xbox's fighting over the same port addresses.

I don't think so. From what I've read, the 'suspend' issue is on the Xbox with it not responding correctly to upnp commands after resume.

The feedback is that seems to help in the case of multiple Xbox's fighting over the same port addresses.

Thanks, we have two xbox ones somtimes struggeling with NAT, so I'll give the update a go tonight then.

Thanks for the update

i think you should have waited for merlin to issue the final 48

Just wanted to let you know I saw your post and will add it to my list of things to take a look at (the code here has actually changed between 374 and 376). It appears there's also quite a bit of logic in the actual web page code that I need to check (as well as read up some on ipv6 :)). I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention from your first post....on this fork you can disable the syslog writes to jffs so you don't have to set it read-only. You'll need to manually delete the old jffs syslog files if you want to get rid of them.

Code:
nvram set jffs2_log=0
nvram commit && reboot

Sweet.
Thanks John for the tip about jjs2_log, that feature is so very helpful, and thanks for taking a look at the ipv6 stateful stuff, yeah the posted code was slightly different in 374 june'ish but it was effectively doing the same thing in that spot so I posted the latest incarnation in case anyone wanted to address it in the current builds as well, yeah the webpage related logic had me a bit intimidated as far as recommending what (if anything) needed related changes as I'm not familiar enough yet with the system as a whole.

Thanks for the update

i think you should have waited for merlin to issue the final 48

Why, John has already added all the security fixes that Merlin will use for the 48 final.

Why, John has already added all the security fixes that Merlin will use for the 48 final.

A fix for Samba's uppercase issue , merlin mentioned he is going to patch that in the final fw 48

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No SAMBA update in the latest fork update...there still appears to be some partition detection issues that Merlin has deferred to ASUS which I'm not sure how they may play with the SAMBA update (probably not, but being cautious). And to be honest, it's such a big change, I'm not sure when/if I'm going to attempt it.

Last edited:
No SAMBA update in the latest fork update...there still appears to be some partition detection issues that Merlin has deferred to ASUS. And to be honest, it's such a big change, I'm not sure when/if I'm going to attempt it.

The remaining partition issues aren't related to Samba itself, but to 376_2769. I fixed most of these issues by now (and so did Asus in 3511, I just backported their own fix to replace mine).

I wouldn't advise upgrading to Samba 3.6 is you don't want to run any risk of introducing new issues. 376.48 had the longest beta period of all releases so far (aside maybe from when I upgraded Busybox) so most issues should have been caught, but there might still be some left.

I have an RT-N66U. In the GUI is see that maximum power is only 100mW for 2.4GHz. Is this correct??

What is the proper way to increase power on 2.4GHz and 5GHz and what is the maximum?

You must be in the EU....there's a limit imposed in the gui for EU domains to 100 mW.

For the N66U (which has some special settings in the fork - this doesn't work on other routers) you can try entering the following via SSH/telnet

Code:
nvram set wl0_TxPower=xxx
nvram set wl1_TxPower=xxx
nvram commit
reboot
where xxx is the desired power (upper limit is probably 316 - I haven't figured out a way to verify that value yet). The wl0 value is for 2.4GHz and wl1 is 5GHz.

Sweet.
...yeah the webpage related logic had me a bit intimidated as far as recommending what (if anything) needed related changes as I'm not familiar enough yet with the system as a whole.

I took a quick look at the webpage.....if you can try something. If you disable prefix delegation (DHCP-PD) and assign a LAN address I think it may work. Not familiar enough with IPv6 to know if this is something you can do.

Hi
I have a strange issue with my ac56u. Certain web pages will not load on Wi-Fi but on wired connection everything is fine. This happens on wireless with my android phones and tablet and 2 windows PC's. Using wired or mobile data connection the website's are all working but not on Wi-Fi. This issue is present with all the firmwares I tried, Merlin, John, official Asus, but is more frequent on John's.
With other routers I don't have this problem, I tried 3 other routers and only the Asus has this problem.
Any suggestion ?

on this fork you can disable the syslog writes to jffs so you don't have to set it read-only. You'll need to manually delete the old jffs syslog files if you want to get rid of them.
Code:
nvram set jffs2_log=0
nvram commit && reboot

It's also possible to redirect syslog to /tmp by
Code:
$ rm /jffs/syslog.log && ln -s /tmp/syslog.log /jffs/syslog.log

The link will survive across reboots.

Some interesting stuff I found using Google.

Code:
# NVRAM board text file template for the Asus RT-AC66U router
[...snip...]
# agX sets the antenna gain for antenna X. Lower 6 bits are interpreted as a signed number representing
# whole dB. Hi 2 bits represent number of quarter dBs. qdB's are ALWAYS POSITIVE and are
# added to whole dBs, so -1 whole dB and 1 qdB = 0x7F = -1dB + 0.25dB = -0.75dB. Range is
# -32dB to +31.75 dB.
# set 0dB gain for all available antennas
pci/1/1/ag0=0
pci/1/1/ag1=0
pci/1/1/ag2=0

This is highly interesting, anyone try this yet?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!