What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks, is 75mw the max? I vaguely remember being able to got up to 200mw in my WRT54. I think that power level was scuppered by the FCC?
Mine (EU region) says 100mW for 2.4GHz and 200mW for 5GHz, but of course both are still limited depending on your region.

Again, should be no difference in the spinup. The only thing I can think of, is that I have linux caching on by default, while Merlin's default is to periodically flush all the internal linux caches. So, I may be caching the drive directory structure while Merlin isn't. But it shouldn't cause a problem as long as the drive has a reasonable spoinup time. If you want to try to emulate the default Merlin behavior, log into the router and enter
nvram set drop_caches=1
nvram commit
and reboot. The trade-off is the drive will need to spin-up more frequently.

This is working fine .. also vice versa on Merlin release.
On my 68P (media-bridge mode) I have used "drop_caches=0" to "activate cashing" on merlin release.
The connected drive will spin-up less frequently now.

One other issue ..
I do have a 4TB WD MyBook USB-disk connected to my 68U (router mode) running on 22E4.

If the USB-disk is connected via the USB3 port all is working fine - for some hours only :(
At some point the USB-disk will be reconnected as SDB (not as SDA anymore)
This happens within the first 24 hours and after serveral successful disk spin-ups.
But the actual reconnect as SDB happens always on disk spin-up.

The same USB-disk is working fine for months, connected to the USB2 port on the same 68U.

And the same USB-disk is working fine connected to the USB3 port on the 68P, but on Merlin release.
The media-bridge mode should not be related here.

There are some comments and reports about USB3 performance and problems on 68U ..
Yes, the 68P has much better USB3 performance as the 68U.
But these reconnect issues ..

I did not test Merlin release on 68U to verify if the firmware is related to the USB3 problem ..
Do you think this problem is "software-related" ?

Is this USB3 reconnect problem known on 68U ?

unless you use the #a setting and then it is 200mW for 2.4Ghz and 200mW for 5Ghz
more power however does not give me more range
80mW for 2.4GHz is the sweetspot for me (i think this is a power/noise ratio thing)
Mine (EU region) says 100mW for 2.4GHz and 200mW for 5GHz, but of course both are still limited depending on your region.

If the USB-disk is connected via the USB3 port all is working fine - for some hours only :(
At some point the USB-disk will be reconnected as SDB (not as SDA anymore)
This happens within the first 24 hours and after serveral successful disk spin-ups.
But the actual reconnect as SDB happens always on disk spin-up.
I can't say anything if it's a known issue.
But I think as a workaround you could try to map the USB-disk to a fix mount point via fstab.
Create a "fstab" file in the /jffs/configs folder with this line for example:
Code:
UUID=4C84D974355684D9 /tmp/mnt/asus3  ufsd rw,noauto,nodev,noexec,noatime,async,nls=utf8 0 0

UFSD is for an NTFS formatted disk. You get the UUID of your drive with the command "blkid".
And you have to create the mount point first. In this example it would be "mkdir -p mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/asus3".

Off topic, but anyone has any idea why my IP address changed from a public IP address to a private one (10.4x.xx.xx) after swapping to a new router? My cable modem is already in bridge mode. Thanks!

Off topic, but anyone has any idea why my IP address changed from a public IP address to a private one (10.4x.xx.xx) after swapping to a new router? My cable modem is already in bridge mode. Thanks!
Maybe your provider switched to CGN (carrier grade nat).

I have the same with my cable provider in Germany...

Andi

Probably you get new ip is that new roter has other wan-mac address. Try to clone to old one.
WAN => WAN - Internet Connection => Special Requirement from ISP => MAC Address => MAC Clone

I can't say anything if it's a known issue.
But I think as a workaround you could try to map the USB-disk to a fix mount point via fstab.
Create a "fstab" file in the /jffs/configs folder with this line for example:
Code:
UUID=4C84D974355684D9 /tmp/mnt/asus3  ufsd rw,noauto,nodev,noexec,noatime,async,nls=utf8 0 0

UFSD is for an NTFS formatted disk. You get the UUID of your drive with the command "blkid".
And you have to create the mount point first. In this example it would be "mkdir -p mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/asus3".

Thanks for the hint to mount the disk manually via fstab.
Just "mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/asus3" should be fine .. Why do you need the first "mkdir -p" ?

Right now the disk is still connected via USB2.
The performance difference between usb2 and usb3 port on 68U is not much.

Still wonder why it's reconnecting on USB3 port only.

Thanks for the help!

I mistakenly clicked on aidisk under usb applications and came across this page which I am having a hard time understanding.. what does this mean? "The AiDisk had been set. If you set the AiDisk again," Are my disks already shared over the internet (which i do NOT want and never configured to do... never used any "ai" stiuff)?! Can someone please clarify..

Attachments

• aidisk.png
    aidisk.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 547
  • aidisk.png
    aidisk.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 591
I doubt this issue is due to the Fork FW, or even if it's present on the Merlin or ASUS FW.

I just updated my Google Chrome browser to 56.0.2924.76 (64-bit), from the previous version.
Now, I get this large blank space:
GoogleChromeAsusRouterPage.jpg

It doesn't seem to affect functionality other than pushing everything else down on the webpage.
When I use another browser like IE, or my iPhone browser, it looks normal with no space.
I can replicate this issue on this Google Chrome version on two different PCs.

I've reported the issue via Google browser.

I can confirm this space on top of all tabs except for the Network Tab,USB App tab on my AC68W, AC68U after my chrome browser updated today.

Checked Firefox browser also, works fine. Just chrome browser.

Last edited:
I can confirm this space on top of all tabs except for the Network Tab,USB App tab on my AC68W, AC68U after my chrome browser updated today.

Checked Firefox browser also, works fine. Just chrome browser.
and @mistercoffee1

Chrome 56 changed it's behavior....known problem (see the discussion in the 380.65 beta thread). Fix will be in next release.

and @mistercoffee1

Chrome 56 changed it's behavior....known problem (see the discussion in the 380.65 beta thread). Fix will be in next release.

My theory is that they used the same cheap glue I used to stick the banner at the top a few years ago, and the glue is wearing off, causing the layout to slide down :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!