What's new

Release [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 46E8 (Superseded)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, could you help me figure out how to use DNS over TLS with the cloudflare for families 1.1.1.3 and 1.0.0.3 rather than the default 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1? Could they be added to future releases, or is there a file I can edit? Thanks for making this awesome firmware, my wifi throughput and range is so much better!

Hi, could you help me figure out how to use DNS over TLS with the cloudflare for families 1.1.1.3 and 1.0.0.3 rather than the default 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1? Could they be added to future releases, or is there a file I can edit? Thanks for making this awesome firmware, my wifi throughput and range is so much better!
When I did my previous update, they hadn't enabled DoT on those family servers yet. I'll double check if it's changed.

When I did my previous update, they hadn't enabled DoT on those family servers yet. I'll double check if it's changed.
Oh didn't know that. Thanks for checking. Is my next "safest" option to not use DoT but use 1.1.1.3 and 1.0.0.3?

Oh didn't know that. Thanks for checking. Is my next "safest" option to not use DoT but use 1.1.1.3 and 1.0.0.3?
They just closed the thread for Family DoT support at the beginning of Jan. Tested with some 'unsavory' sites and it looks like it's working.
I've made the changes to my update site, so

You can ssh to the router and enter the command

stubby-update-resolvers.sh

When you go back into the WAN page, you should then be able to select the Cloudflare Family DoT servers.

The next release, 46E9, is now available.

Last edited:
Can "stubby-update-resolvers.sh" be used to update Merlin 386.1 firmware on RT-AC68U's DoT DNS resolvers also to add Cloudflare Family DoT servers?

Oops...sorry (you get points for reading :) )
46E9 is the next public release
47D9 is the next beta with AC68U V3 support

Builds with 'E' are the formal releases, builds with 'D' are Development/test releases
no (L)egacy builds anymore, right?

Hi John.
Thanks for this excellent fork.
I've recently installed in on my ASUS RT N66U which was a long time merlin firmware customer. I installed your forked firmware via the CFE miniWEB server in recovery mode.

My router mostly seems great but I've got a bit of a problem with the wifi.
On boot the 5GHz wifi seems great but after a while, it starts to... degrade in speed. This is mostly obvious when streaming HD videos from my local media server to my phone/laptop (the videos buffer).
This degradation of wifi speed also happens when we run too many video streams to our various laptops/phones at once. After stopping the streams the wifi speed doesn't seem to quite come back to what is originally was and the router needs rebooting.

One other, very unrelated, issue is that the router asks me multiple times to login when accessing its GUI via 192.168.1.1. Oddly, when I logout and try to access the GUI again, I am taken straight to the logged in GUI without having to login again...

I wondered if you had any advice/tips or directions to point me in?

If it helps, I've tried firmware versions 46E9 and 47E9 but have the same issue on both.

One other, very unrelated, issue is that the router asks me multiple times to login when accessing its GUI via 192.168.1.1. Oddly, when I logout and try to access the GUI again, I am taken straight to the logged in GUI without having to login again...

Using Firefox? This happened to me at one point with certain extensions, never found out exactly which extension or setting as I changed many at once, but likely those privacy related.

I have a N66U. Still running 380.7 Merlin. I have tried updating to this fork but get the following error.

Using Chrome/Kubuntu 20.04.1

Attachments

• Selection_196.png
    Selection_196.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Selection_195.png
    Selection_195.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 106
Using Firefox? This happened to me at one point with certain extensions, never found out exactly which extension or setting as I changed many at once, but likely those privacy related.
Unfortunately not, I'm using Safari. I think I'm using two extensions for it (Honey and Ecosia).

Unfortunately not, I'm using Safari.
Safari is an ongoing problem with this fork with a problem Apple never addressed and an incompatibility with some fork security enhancements that depend on the browser maintaining a connection to the router . Do a search in the fork archive for 'Safari'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-archive.18914
to find some things that have helped. There's an nvram setting you can change, and some have found using only http or https works better.
Best thing is to use a different browser.

I have a N66U. Still running 380.7 Merlin. I have tried updating to this fork but get the following error.

Using Chrome/Kubuntu 20.04.1
I would have thought 380.7 was before the new checks, but apparently not. Try loading via the recovery tool or CFE mini web server.

My router mostly seems great but I've got a bit of a problem with the wifi.
On boot the 5GHz wifi seems great but after a while, it starts to... degrade in speed. This is mostly obvious when streaming HD videos from my local media server to my phone/laptop (the videos buffer).
This degradation of wifi speed also happens when we run too many video streams to our various laptops/phones at once. After stopping the streams the wifi speed doesn't seem to quite come back to what is originally was and the router needs rebooting.
Haven't had any similar reports I can remember. Maybe some exact data oshowing what you are seeing would help.
But I'll mention a few things to think about...
- wifi is half duplex, so your max available bandwidth will be about 1/2 of your connect speed (newer routers do better)
- wifi is shared bandwidth, so as you add streams they all share the max available bandwidth
- the wifi log connect speeds are 'instantaneous' values, and may be greatly reduced for idle clients or clients in powersave mode

Haven't had any similar reports I can remember. Maybe some exact data oshowing what you are seeing would help.
But I'll mention a few things to think about...
- wifi is half duplex, so your max available bandwidth will be about 1/2 of your connect speed (newer routers do better)
- wifi is shared bandwidth, so as you add streams they all share the max available bandwidth
- the wifi log connect speeds are 'instantaneous' values, and may be greatly reduced for idle clients or clients in powersave mode
Hi John,

Thanks for this.

I did wonder about whether I'm just hitting the limit of the router but I believe I didn't see the same problems when using the merlin firmware.

I was also finding that, for example, loading websites on my laptop would take an incredibly long time when I'd already have a 4k stream running from my local server to my TV. The 4K video's bit rate was ~60Mbps so I figured the wireless 802 N router should be able to handle both things at the same time. Restarting the router would solve the problem (for a few hours).

By 'exact data', are there some logs I can extract from the router or were you asking for some more descriptions of the kind of things I'm seeing?
Basically, when I power on/boot up the router, I find that I am able to run multiple video streams from my local media server to our various devices (laptops/phones) and simultaneously browse the web. After about a day (sometimes less), I struggle to watch a single stream and browse the web at the same time. Restarting the router makes the problem go away. Sorry if this is still too vague...

One big thing I've tried today is formatting the JFFS partition (I'd missed that part from the instructions). So far today, everything seems to be pretty solid. Fingers crossed that this was the issue...

Last edited:
I would have thought 380.7 was before the new checks, but apparently not. Try loading via the recovery tool or CFE mini web server.
There is no 380.7, this must be 380.70.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!