What's new

Release [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 52E7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not a developer, but John's Fork and Asuswrt(-Merlin) on N(AC)66U and AC68U variants have better Wi-Fi than DD-WRT and FreshTomato. Not night and day difference, but better. At least up to 2021 releases when was the last time I have played with older routers and alternative firmware. Broadcom has nothing new released for BCM4331 and BCM4360 for years and obviously something else around is different.

For you FreshTomato is an option, but if you use any NAT acceleration incompatible features your router can't process >150Mbps WAN-LAN traffic.
Broadcom has released minor driver updates, which are mentioned in the Fresh Tomato changes. I posted earlier. Also, DD-WRT has even more up recent Broadcom drivers. I agree that Merlin firmware does provide faster wireless speeds. It seems most noticable in MIPS routers.

Hi,

using 3.0.0.4.374.43_52E7j9527 on my N66R in Access Point mode. I keep getting some log spam with the following:
Code:
Mar  9 09:19:20 system: failed to retrieve parent dnsmasq leases (2048)

How can I go about cleaning this up so these dnsmasq lease log entries are no longer?

Hi,

using 3.0.0.4.374.43_52E7j9527 on my N66R in Access Point mode. I keep getting some log spam with the following:
Code:
Mar  9 09:19:20 system: failed to retrieve parent dnsmasq leases (2048)

How can I go about cleaning this up so these dnsmasq lease log entries are no longer?
Go to Tools - Other Settings and disable Access Point enhanced data.

Is John the one that is updating the firmware that can be found in the Beta folder? If so why is it that none of them are making it to the public release folder? Is anyone running the beta versions that can speak to their reliability?

Is John the one that is updating the firmware that can be found in the Beta folder? If so why is it that none of them are making it to the public release folder? Is anyone running the beta versions that can speak to their reliability?

I'm running 374.43_53D7j9527 beta on RT-AC66U and it hasn't burned down my garage as of this writing. 😅

Hi Guys,
I recently got a 2nd hand N66U_B1 and was trying to make it work in AP mode using RT-N66U_374.43_52E7 firmware but it doesn't work.

I go in Administration - Operation Mode and select Access Point(AP) mode
I'm than presented with the following:
1681581333279.png

It is not possible to set manual IP address, as the 'next' button is kind of greyed out when switching to 'No' at the top.
I can leave the top option set to 'Yes' and proceed but once settings are saved I can not get to the admin panel anymore, even if I find router's IP address that was assigned automatically, and I'm able to ping it just fine.

Tried the same on RT-N66U_374.43_52E3 and it is the same problem, not possible to switch to AP mode.

I have than flashed an older version (RT-N66U_374.43_42E) and everything works just fine.
I'm able to set fixed IP and proceed without issues.

If I upgrade from this working version 42E to 52E, while preserving settings, its not possible to login to the router again, even when I can still ping it under previousely manually set IP address.

Anyone tried something similar ?

This is what i have set for AP mode

Attachments

• Asus RT-AC68U - AP mode.jpg
    Asus RT-AC68U - AP mode.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 130
Looking at your screenshot, you have a different device (AC68U where I have N66U) and also you have a Merlin regular build and not LTS fork.
I have no issues running AP mode in regular Merlin build and/or in LTS older build version. Seems like just the newest LTS build is causing the problem.

Here is what I run atm (on LTS fork 42E) without issues:

1681681384132.png

Apologies for posting on a dormant thread. I need to have a simple 2.4GHz access point in a garage, and I happen to have an unused working RT-N16 sitting on a shelf, with the latest available Asus firmware. For security reasons, I'd like something more updated. I could get a cheap RE105 as AP, but I like the extra control Merlin offers (running on all my other routers)

Is this (52E7) the most recent working build, or is there anything else I should be using?

Improved security is unlikely. This router had no new Wi-Fi drivers for many years. There is also no routing on an AP. No extra Wi-Fi controls either.

Improved security is unlikely. This router had no new Wi-Fi drivers for many years. There is also no routing on an AP. No extra Wi-Fi controls either.
Thanks for the reply! And, yeah, I understand that security won't be as good as with a newer device.

As for controls, even on an AP, using scripting I can implement guest network VLANs, which will then me handled by the main router (one of my Merlin devices is an AP with rather complex guest network vlan management). I want to put a Chinese camera in that garage, and I'd rather not give it full access (yes, I could still do MAC control on the main router)

Anyway, understanding the limitations (and knowing that the Broadcom binary blob comes with caveats), what's the newest build I could install?

Find the build that works then and use it. May not be the last one released. You have to experiment. Good luck.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!