What's new

Release [FORK][DSL] GNUton's Merlin builds for DSL Router 386.1_2 released.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I’ve got my system—a GT-AX11000 with four ZenWifi XT8 nodes—working absolutely seamlessly and lightning fast with all running version 386.5_2, after encountering an absolute catastrophe when I tried flashing my AX11000 to RMerlin’s stable version of 386.7 (v1).

Suddenly my nodes would randomly disconnect from the AX11000 and would not reconnect no matter what I tried, and when I factory reset the XT8s and tried to re-add them to the AX11000 wirelessly, the process aborted after a dozen tries. I ended up having to reset everything to factory, flash 386.5_2 to the AX11000, then access each XT8 via Ethernet from my laptop to change their firmwares to 386.5_2 before I could get everything up and running again. And now it’s the best it’s ever been.

So I’m not going to dare attempt to upgrade my system to 386.7_2 until GNUton puts out a stable version—and when that happens I pray that the two builds will play nice together. I probably should just leave them the way they are—I’m just cursed with FOMO…

@DocUmibozu I was on holiday and I missed that. BTW DSL-AC68U_386.5_2-gnuton0_NO-DSL-FIRMWARE.trx are just for people who wanna still keep the old modem firmware if you do not use DSL you can flash the one with the firmware.. just to keep everything up-to-dated.

@DocUmibozu I was on holiday and I missed that. BTW DSL-AC68U_386.5_2-gnuton0_NO-DSL-FIRMWARE.trx are just for people who wanna still keep the old modem firmware if you do not use DSL you can flash the one with the firmware.. just to keep everything up-to-dated.

My intent was to repurpose a dsl-ac68u as a media bridge.
With the experimental firmware it works, for now. I'll just have to wait and see if it has the dhcp bug...

Don’t know if this is the right place to report an issue, DoT makes the router unusable when enabled. I observed an overall instability when tried to use it on DSL-68u, latest version 386.07_2.gnuton1

Hi,

I hope I am posting in the correct place.

Firstly thanks for your amazing work. Great to finally be running Merlin on my XT8's.

I am on release 386.07_2-gnuton1. Everything seems pretty stable, although I can seem to start any of my VPN Servers - Open VPN, PPTP or IPSEC. I can toggle on, but when I go back its off and back in off position and not active in VPN Server Status window. I have checked system logs but can't see anything obvious.

Only change in my environment is moving to a FTTP setup with static IP. Not sure whether there is something about with my new setup causing the issue or if there is an issue with the firmware.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have any suggestions?

Thank

Thanks

Hello,

I just got an Asus RT-AX82U and installed the merlin fork for this device and it installed without any trouble.

What I am having trouble with is with the QOS service and namely CAKE.
My internet is provided by a 4g Wireless ISP with 50Mbps Up and 10 down.

My older router had openwrt and cake was working fairly well in it but with the ASUS I cannot control the upload bufferbloat as reported by Waveform and other tests. Its always over 500ms no matter what settings I use.

Download is fairly reasonable and constantly below 100ms.

I dont know exactly what each setting is supposed to do and I wish there was a page somewhere that explained what those settings do so that I knew which one apply to a variable bandwidth internet provider like a 4G Wireless connection.

Another question that is confusing me with the Cake settings, what does the automatic mode for the Bandwith Setting do and how does it determine what speeds it applies to cake?

In manual mode the field shows Mb/s so what number do I write down for a 50Mbps connection? 50000 or 50?
I tried 50 and the it was a disaster so I am not sure.

But anyway, my problem is that theres no setting in the QOS that changes the terrible upload bufferbloat.
I also tried adaptive QOS, Bandwidth limiter with similar results... Is there a setting elsewhere that is messing up with the upload?

I didnt pay attention and reversed the download and upload fields...

I have a fixed wireless internet connection and trying to get any technical info out of the isp is like going to the dentist... so I dont know what kind of connection the wireless is and if it's ATM, PMT or just 'normal'
And I dont really know what those are, can someone tell me what would be the one to use for my case for the WAN PACKET MODE?

I can try to help if your from the UK, who is your ISP and is it connected to the master phone socket?

Yet the asus setup wizard should set all for you?

But guess it should be DSL VDSL WAN(PTM).
But this is not for wireless, but more for the connection to the ISP.
P.s ISP dont like it when where not using there device and will offer no help.

Last edited:
I have not messed with cake, but think there is a issue with the ax82u and cake from what I've read. But can not say as I havent tried cake QOS.