What's new

Router lan wifi hardware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vander

New Around Here
Hello,

I have a question about routers, lan, wifi and devices.

If I want to add some devices to my home network using wifi but restrict them can that be done?
I dont want the devices to be able to send data or contact anywhere except the local network.
I dont want them to be able to change network firewalls or network passwords.

The devices are home automation devices but I know the brand transmits data to other countries which I dont want to happen.

That is why I am asking about restricting what they can do and prevent inbound or outbound data.

Thanks in advance
Vander

Hello,

I have a question about routers, lan, wifi and devices.

If I want to add some devices to my home network using wifi but restrict them can that be done?
I dont want the devices to be able to send data or contact anywhere except the local network.
I dont want them to be able to change network firewalls or network passwords.

The devices are home automation devices but I know the brand transmits data to other countries which I dont want to happen.

That is why I am asking about restricting what they can do and prevent inbound or outbound data.

Thanks in advance
Vander

If you put them on a guest wireless network and disable intranet access, they won't be able to access your LAN or anything else on the guest network. However they can access the internet, and that is required for most IOT devices to work. There are workarounds to block them from accessing the internet but it isn't a simple feature of any normal home based router.

If you put them on a guest wireless network and disable intranet access, they won't be able to access your LAN or anything else on the guest network. However they can access the internet, and that is required for most IOT devices to work. There are workarounds to block them from accessing the internet but it isn't a simple feature of any normal home based router.
Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply to my query.

My follow-up question based on your answer is as follows.
Can I add the devices to a router that has no internet connected to it?
And if so would the devices still work?

Thanks
Vander

Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply to my query.

My follow-up question based on your answer is as follows.
Can I add the devices to a router that has no internet connected to it?
And if so would the devices still work?

Thanks
Vander

If the devices require no internet access, sure. You don't even need a router, just an access point.

If they need internet access, Asus and many other brands do have firewalls that you can configure access to only certain internet destinations (or none at all) but you'd have to figure out what destinations they need and add those, and deny all others. Depending on what devices you're talking about, they may or may not need internet access, but most IOT stuff does.

If the devices require no internet access, sure. You don't even need a router, just an access point.

If they need internet access, Asus and many other brands do have firewalls that you can configure access to only certain internet destinations (or none at all) but you'd have to figure out what destinations they need and add those, and deny all others. Depending on what devices you're talking about, they may or may not need internet access, but most IOT stuff does.
Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply and help.

I have spare routers and hubs as I am forced to use router supplied by my cable provider.
I guess I will order a couple devices to test to see if it will work with no internet.

I will post back when I get devices and try them out.

Thanks again
Vander

I am forced to use router supplied by my cable provider

You can use the router you want behind your ISP equipment.

I guess I will order a couple devices to test to see if it will work with no internet.

If you know for a fact they need external server - they won't.

Hey,

Their router controls tv signal and internet so I can add router after their equipment between theirs and my pc but not before theirs.
I tried to use route before theirs and could not get tv or internet, where I live we are forced to use their equipment unless it is after theirs.

I dont know if I need external server for the automation devices.
I was told similar about my card access and camera system and they sit on router not connected to internet and work fine.

The products I want to try to use are Tuya but I have read they transmit data back to China but not for usage.
What I wanted to do with them is simply turn on a light when door is open and shut off light when door is closed.
I was going to use a DC-SSR (Solid State Relay) 10am DA to control light, but I thought simply using https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005247880422.html
And a tuya plug sensor with it would mean less wiring.

Thanks
Vander

What I wanted to do with them is simply turn on a light when door is open and shut off light when door is closed.

This can be done locally with no "smart" Internet connected devices. A sensor and a relay.

If you want to block internet access just don't hand them a default gateway with DHCP. They won't be able to access the internet without it.

If you want to block internet access just don't hand them a default gateway with DHCP. They won't be able to access the internet without it.

Most home routers don't allow you to remove that option from DHCP. And if they are worried about malware, a device can determine its gateway very easily anyway.

The asus does let you specify a default gateway so you could put 1.1.1.1 or something but that is not foolproof.

This can be done locally with no "smart" Internet connected devices. A sensor and a relay.
Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply and info.

That was what I was going to do but it became more complex.
To meet code when I live the sensor must handle 12vdc or less.
Then I need the relay which I have with 12vdc or less trigger and it can handle 10amp vac.
And now that involves needing permit for electrical work.
And the at least 1 junction box.

That is why I had wanted to use the controller and a tuya or other controlled plug.
Then it could have been simple to just use extension cord to plug in and a power adapter for the controller/sensor.

Thanks for the help
Vander