What's new

Gigabit Wireless N Router with a print server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kel

Occasional Visitor
First of all great site...
I am looking to buy a wireless n gigabit router with a print server.
I am in an area where there are two other wireless networks visable and I have no cordless phones and as such I believe I will be just fine with a single 2.4 ghz band router... I also plan to use my old b/g router for G only...and the new router for N

I have not had much luck finding this especially for the reviewed routers on the small builder site.
I looked at the SMC Barricade but it seems that the their print server does not support scaning for my Brother MFC 9700 multi-function printer...

I will have a macbook with wireless n and for the time being my old laptop with wireless g on the wireless network and occassionly guests will also bring laptops. I have a readynas nv+ (which I suppose I could use as a print server but the time I tried I did not have scan capabilties there either - however I never researched if there might be a solution that would allow scanning).

Any insights would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Kel,
Glad you enjoy the site.

Built-in printservers don't handle multi-function printers, at least not all of their features. You'll need to invest in a printserver that specifically handles multi-function printers.

We haven't tested any, so don't have any recommendations.

Tim,

Thanks for this information...after doing a little research it seems the way to go would be to get Brother nc8100 print server card which I would install into the multi-function printer - kind of expensive at a street price of $125 or so...but one plus is it works with most of the brother product line.

You're always going to be better off with a print adapter from the same company as your printer. Helps with tech support, too.

I've noticed that most of the time, it's difficult to get scanning to work on a print server (I've tried numerous ways). However, I've got an HP multi-function setup on the home PC and shared thoughout the network, and the scanning works well.

I've noticed that most of the time, it's difficult to get scanning to work on a print server (I've tried numerous ways). However, I've got an HP multi-function setup on the home PC and shared thoughout the network, and the scanning works well.

I've noticed the same, scanning is hit and miss with print servers. If the MFP device doesn't already come with a print server built in, it will likely only support scanning via. USB. Without it integrated, there's nothing in the driver code to support scanning over the network.

thanks for this info - For the time being I am keeping my printer on the USB port on the computer in my network that is powered up most of the time...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!