What's new

Good NAS ftp client/downloader recomendation.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oalex

New Around Here
Hi all! Great forum.

I came here looking for help/suggestion for the following:

I would like something (NAS) that I could use for home backup and more importantly for downloading directly from ftp (and maybe a little torrent) to an installed HDD.

My PC does the job well, but am looking to save some on the electric bill. (600W :mad:)

I am looking for something that I can configure downloads via PC on and then turn off PC and leave the device to do the downloads 24/7. Good resume capability and what not.

I have seen that quite a few NAS and external HDD solutions are able to do this, but not sure which has the best ftp client solution/download manager.

1 bay solution is fine (SATAII) to which I would put a 1T or 1,5T green drive in. Once I download like 500GB material, then I copy them to other HDDs via PC rack and then I store externally (on selves). So the base HDD never really fills up.

I am also looking at replacing my router so if its an integrated (WLAN) sollution then that would be a plus (but not necessary). Also Gigabit LAN would be welcome for fast transfers to and from main PC.

What solutions should I look at?
This would be for home use and I dont need it with serious server capabilities as I will use it with only 1 PC connected (have a netbook too, but only use that via WLAN for internet). In other words the most expensive solution is not what I am looking for.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks
Alex

EDIT: I see Synology is out of the question as I see in their forums that it is very handicapped. Cant download entire folder form ftp (you have to select each file in the folder one by one). Also not possible to browse the ftp server to select the downloads, but have to get each files url and input into the download manager.
Now looking at QNAP solution, but have no info on how well that its Download Center/QGet is with handling ftp. Information on this or any other suggestion is welcome.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
There is no NAS that I know of that can handle folder download. The best you can do is to use a list of files to download with either Synology or QNAP's latest firmware (I forget which).

I have no suggestions for "best" since this isn't a feature that I use.

There is no NAS that I know of that can handle folder download. The best you can do is to use a list of files to download with either Synology or QNAP's latest firmware (I forget which).

I have no suggestions for "best" since this isn't a feature that I use.

How about Buffalo or Netgear?