What's new

GT-AX11000 and RP-AX58 node backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geblah187

New Around Here
Long time lurker, first time poster here - glad to join :)

Having a bit of a conundrum with an Aimesh extender I just received/installed. I have a tri-band setup on my primary router (GT-AX110000) with the dual band (RP-AX58) extender setup in Aimesh mode, broken down like this:

SSID 1: 2.4ghz
SSID 2: 5ghz "regular" (wifi5)
SSID 3: 5ghz wifi 6

I got this particular extender so I could have better coverage outside/on the porch for SSID3 which has my wifi6 compatible devices on it.

The trouble I'm running into is that the extender keeps using the wifi6 band as the backhaul, and extending the normal 5ghz network and i'd like it the other way around. I've poured through settings and forums/google searches, and I can't seem to find any way to manually change this. I can see the backhaul/fronthaul networks in the primary router's web interface but it has no options to change which to use.

Any ideas, or would I be better served with a different Aimesh device?

Unfortunately, running an ethernet backhaul is not an option due to home layout ... next house I plan on hardwiring every single room before I even move furniture in.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums @geblah187.

I would think it's impossible for the RP-AX58 to connect to the 6GHz band.

Are you using SmartConnect? Don't. Do you have all your SSIDs identical? Make them each unique.

Welcome to the forums @geblah187.

I would think it's impossible for the RP-AX58 to connect to the 6GHz band.

Are you using SmartConnect? Don't. Do you have all your SSIDs identical? Make them each unique.
Thanks for your reply :)

The AX58 is rated for wifi6 and it's using the wifi6 band as the backhaul, so it's definitely capable.

I don't have smart connect enabled and have 3 separate SSIDs, all unique.

So the RP-AX58 only has a single 2x2 5GHz band, the other channel is 2.4GHz. So your wireless backhaul will be sharing one of those bands (most likely the 5GHz).
*Using the GT-AX6000 and an RP-AX56 for almost a year!

So the RP-AX58 only has a single 2x2 5GHz band, the other channel is 2.4GHz. So your wireless backhaul will be sharing one of those bands (most likely the 5GHz).
*Using the GT-AX6000 and an RP-AX56 for almost a year!
Correct, but I have two 5ghz networks and it's extending the wrong one (it's extending 5ghz 1 and using 5ghz 2 as the backhaul, I want it the other way around) - guessing there is no way to change this?

It isn't capable of doing what you say it's doing. Both clients and the backhaul have to use the same 5GHz channel set. In order to do what you say it's doing you'd need a tri-band extender/Mesh node.
*Suggestion: use a WiFi analyser app to see whats actually being transmitted!

It isn't capable of doing what you say it's doing. Both clients and the backhaul have to use the same 5GHz channel set. In order to do what you say it's doing you'd need a tri-band extender/Mesh node.
*Suggestion: use a WiFi analyser app to see whats actually being transmitted!
I didn't think so either, but that appears to be what it's doing.

For reference, my 5ghz-1 is The LAN Before Time and my 5ghz-2 is HI BILLY MAYS HERE WITH WIFI. Below are screenshots from the aimesh setup in the main router (mac addresses obscured):

Backhaul:
1678397474907.png

Fronthaul:
1678397589532.png

And from the general wifi area, showing which is which:
1678397742970.png

1678397774286.png

This repeater can't use/transmit on 2x 5GHz frequencies physically. Your reference is some bug in your router's firmware.
Fair enough - any way to specify which 5ghz SSID it broadcasts for connecting to the extender? Maybe temporarily inactivating the 5g-1 so it picks and broadcasts the 5g-2?

If you insist on AiMesh the router may force you to use 5-2 radio because this is what is used for backhaul in AiMesh by default. It may after broadcast all available SSIDs on the extender, but on the backhaul frequency - the radio the extender is connected to. This is perhaps what causes the confusion.

If you insist on AiMesh the router may force you to use 5-2 radio because this is what is used for backhaul in AiMesh by default. It may after broadcast all available SSIDs on the extender, but on the backhaul frequency - the radio the extender is connected to. This is perhaps what causes the confusion.
I think I'm picking up what you're putting down - in aimesh mode there's not really any choice of what it uses for backhaul. Are there more choices if setup as a standard extender vs an aimesh node? Or would you suggest a different device?

All I'm really wanting to accomplish is to extend the range of my wifi6 SSID as I have a few dead/low signal spots. I'm not concerned with throughput necessarily on the devices I'll be connecting to it, I just want to keep certain devices on certain SSIDs. I don't even mind if whatever device I get supports 2.4 - I just want some slightly better range on the wifi6 SSID.

I do appreciate everyone's comments so far. This is the first time I've messed with anything aimesh :)

Yes, you can use it as standard repeater to the SSID of your choice. AiMesh is not mandatory. I had one only tri-band router to play with and it was pushing 5-2 band always as wireless backhaul in AiMesh. On older firmware versions it was even dedicated with no option to use it for clients.

Thanks for your reply :)

The AX58 is rated for wifi6 and it's using the wifi6 band as the backhaul, so it's definitely capable.

I don't have smart connect enabled and have 3 separate SSIDs, all unique.

WiFi 6 isn't WiFi 6E. The latter has the 6GHz band. The RT-AX58U cannot connect to any 6GHz signal at all.

The RP-AX58U is a 2x2:2, two-band router. I believe you're placing it too far from the primary router, which is why it may be using the 'wrong' band. Move it closer (even inches may make a difference).

You can also try different Control Channels to see which are strongest/most stable, in your environment. I would not be moving the Radio's operation from Auto (changing the options to WiFi 5 and WiFi 6 is rarely an improvement or needed, ever).

The SSIDs you're using may be an issue too. I would use 8 alpha numeric characters with no spaces, special characters, or smiley faces in them.

If the above changes don't bring you the results you expect/need, I would suggest a full reset of the main router and the entire network (keeping in mind the above suggestions).

Yes, you can use it as standard repeater to the SSID of your choice. AiMesh is not mandatory. I had one only tri-band router to play with and it was pushing 5-2 band always as wireless backhaul in AiMesh. On older firmware versions it was even dedicated with no option to use it for clients.
I think this is what I'll end up doing, appreciate the insight. Would be nice if Asus let us do more customization for aimesh mode - guess I'll suggest that to them ;)

Grabbed myself a RP-AX58 from Amazon, they've been out of stock for ages in the UK.

Replacing a TP-Link RE550. Think the mesh system should work better than having two separate brands and connections!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!