What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well I'm mostly interested in Wireless range coverage. Are they the same in that department? Will they give better range than say the RT-AX88U or AX86U?
Unknown, nobody properly tests this anymore. Personally, I feel like most high-end routers should have fairly similar range. These newer models have a new wifi SoC, they may possibly be slightly better. Whether it can be shown in day-to-date usage or only in a synthetic benchmark, that's the real question however.

Finally, the Asus Router app won't let you delete a previous setup.

Really? I've done it multiple times with many different Asus routers on my iPhone using the same Asus Router app. From the main screen touch the router icon in upper left corner, on the next screen the three dots in the upper right corner, select Unlink (with iPhone in my case) - done. Perhaps it has to be done before you remove your old router. If that's the case - just reinstall the app.

Unknown, nobody properly tests this anymore. Personally, I feel like most high-end routers should have fairly similar range. These newer models have a new wifi SoC, they may possibly be slightly better. Whether it can be shown in day-to-date usage or only in a synthetic benchmark, that's the real question however.
Would "newer models" include the GT-AX6000 or do you mean newer as in AX-capable in general?

Well I'm mostly interested in Wireless range coverage. Are they the same in that department? Will they give better range than say the RT-AX88U or AX86U?
Similar to what RMerlin said, I think range varies based on how your home and furniture are arranged, router placement, weather conditions etc.

Posted something on my experience with wifi coverage on the GT-AXE11000 vs the GT-AXE16000 in my home environment.

I believe by newer Merlin means the 2022 AXE11000 and AXE16000, which have all new SOC.
GT-AX11000_Pro, GT-AX6000 and GT-AXE16000 use a newer BCM6715, which is the successor to the BCM43684 that was used in their previous high-end models.

Really? I've done it multiple times with many different Asus routers on my iPhone using the same Asus Router app. From the main screen touch the router icon in upper left corner, on the next screen the three dots in the upper right corner, select Unlink (with iPhone in my case) - done. Perhaps it has to be done before you remove your old router. If that's the case - just reinstall the app.
Tech9, thanks for these directions. I looked all over for a way to delete the old router, but couldn’t find anything. I didn’t see the three dots menu option either until you pointed it out. That said, even the Asus tech support person that I chatted with didn’t know how to do this.

Thanks again!

Just got this router, feel like I got a lemon. I turned off my old Netgear Router, plugged in the WAN, a few direct connect 1G RJ45 and booted this up. Was only able to connect via WIFI App on iPhone. Browser connections do not work, cannot reach "192.168.50.1" router address via WIFI or Lan connects. Via the APP, the Router gets a DHCP address from Cable modem but no internet connectivity (ICMP pings aren't reaching 192.168.50.1 via Lan or WIFI connections). Something is busted.

Just got this router, feel like I got a lemon. I turned off my old Netgear Router, plugged in the WAN, a few direct connect 1G RJ45 and booted this up. Was only able to connect via WIFI App on iPhone. Browser connections do not work, cannot reach "192.168.50.1" router address via WIFI or Lan connects. Via the APP, the Router gets a DHCP address from Cable modem but no internet connectivity (ICMP pings aren't reaching 192.168.50.1 via Lan or WIFI connections). Something is busted.
So I guess I sort of figured this out, but resetting it and doing setup from my iPhone Web Browser (instead of the app) sort of worked, somehow switching to Google Chrome helped as well. Why I wasn't able to reach the GW, and then had some issues with getting WAN setup. But it appears to be working now.

So I guess I sort of figured this out, but resetting it and doing setup from my iPhone Web Browser (instead of the app) sort of worked, somehow switching to Google Chrome helped as well. Why I wasn't able to reach the GW, and then had some issues with getting WAN setup. But it appears to be working now.
Yes, it seems like the initial setup doesn’t work correctly, then you have to reset a few times and play with it a bit to get it started up correctly. It’s too bad it works this way, but that‘s what it seems like.

You think that they’d have a few users come in and set up the routers with someone from Asus monitoring them to see what kind of issues they run into and then correct them, but I guess that’s asking too much.

Yes, it seems like the initial setup doesn’t work correctly, then you have to reset a few times and play with it a bit to get it started up correctly. It’s too bad it works this way, but that‘s what it seems like.

You think that they’d have a few users come in and set up the routers with someone from Asus monitoring them to see what kind of issues they run into and then correct them, but I guess that’s asking too much.

Thats fracking bonkers, I contacted ASUS support because I was sure I had a lemon. He asked to reset the router, and I was sure it wasn't going to work because I had already tried twice. When it all started working when I switched to Chrome, I was speechless, no idea why it just started working. There's obviously something wrong with the firmware, and agreed it seems like they should be able to figure it out.

Worked for me correctly, I just did the initial setup on a new GT-AXE16000 the other day. Was flawless, then I installed the latest Merlin Firmware which made it even better.

I’m using latest stock firmware. Is it only in my case that in wireless - professional settings 5ghz1 wireless mode have only these options: auto, N only, lagacy? When I was testing merlin firmware there was different options to select as: auto, ax only, n/ac/ax, lagacy.
230D2A2B-B637-447C-A946-DCA16CF1ED15.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you do a full reset when you flashed back to Asus firmware? And not use a saved backup config file?

Did you do a full reset when you flashed back to Asus firmware? And not use a saved backup config file?
By full reset do you mean “WPS reset”? If yes then I didn’t, I’ll try tomorrow also I’ll reconfigure from scratch. But is not normal right?

I’m using latest stock firmware. Is it only in my case that in wireless - professional settings 5ghz1 wireless mode have only these options: auto, N only, lagacy?
The GT-AXE16000's webui has a number of issues regarding Wireless settings that Asus only fixed with 388_xxxxx. My firmware isn't affected because I fixed them during initial support implementation.

I`ve reset my axe16000 with wps metod and I noticed that some things like speed test history and traffic analyzer statistic wont clear off so is it doing full reset? I also was looking for tool called firmware restoration for this particular model in the case that wps method not working properly and I couldn`t find one.

I`ve reset my axe16000 with wps metod and I noticed that some things like speed test history and traffic analyzer statistic wont clear off so is it doing full reset?
You need to reset it through the webui to delete the content of the JFFS storage partition, there's a checkbox for that next to the button to reinitialize.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!