What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You need to reset it through the webui to delete the content of the JFFS storage partition, there's a checkbox for that next to the button to reinitialize.
Done-Thanks. I’m back on your latest firmware (not beta) now and testing aimesh. Last time I tried it was working for day and a bit and dropped from 5g to 2.4g and in wifi icon 5ghz-2 was showing channel 0 (after restarting main router everything was back to normal but that’s not the point). This time I hided 5ghz-2 SSID and in system status 5GHz-2 showing as backhaul - not sure if that helps but I guess I’ll find out after couple of days. Did you even tried setup aimesh on your axe16000 via wireless backhaul with success?

Last edited:
Did you even tried setup aimesh on your axe1600 via wireless backhaul with success?
I don`t remember if I tried it specifically with the GT-AXE16000, sorry - I don't use AiMesh.

Done-Thanks. I’m back on your latest firmware (not beta) now and testing aimesh. Last time I tried it was working for day and a bit and dropped from 5g to 2.4g and in wifi icon 5ghz-2 was showing channel 0 (after restarting main router everything was back to normal but that’s not the point). This time I hided 5ghz-2 SSID and in system status 5GHz-2 showing as backhaul - not sure if that helps but I guess I’ll find out after couple of days. Did you even tried setup aimesh on your axe16000 via wireless backhaul with success?
I had a setup using wireless backhaul AIMESH while ago when there was an ethernet backhaul bug. With the latest 388 beta I have switched to ethernet backhaul and all works fine with two AX89X in 10gb ethernet backhaul mesh

I had a setup using wireless backhaul AIMESH while ago when there was an ethernet backhaul bug. With the latest 388 beta I have switched to ethernet backhaul and all works fine with two AX89X in 10gb ethernet backhaul mesh
Yeah but I`m only renting this place and can`t really go on rampage with the drill :) so my only solution is wireless aimesh.

Where did you get the 388 beta?

The broadcast coming from the router is defined as 6Ghz which is Wi-fi 6E (shown in the screenshot I've attached) This should then be broadcasted out so the laptop so it can see it in the SSID list. Not many other options and wouldn't matter on the channel or bandwidth. On the network card of the machine, there are two options that matter. Ultra high band (shown in the screenshots posted and the channel width which should be auto.

Just adding an update to this issue in case anyone else gets stuck with the same problem I did. The main issue I had was I could not connect with a Wi-fi 6E capable laptop: MSI GP76 Leopard 11UG.
The laptop was running a killer wireless card (AX210 160MHz). I tested a friend Samsung S22 Ultra and was able to connect to the GT-AXE-16000 without any problems ruling out a hardware or configuration problem with the router. No matter what I tried on the laptop, including reinstalling old drivers, new drivers, Windows 11, Windows 10 with (hacked drivers) played with settings, updating the firmware to the latest (which it already had) Stock firmware, Merlin firmware on the router, nothing worked.

I opened a case with MSI support and went back and forth for 3 weeks which they used cookie cutter email responses. In the end they lied to me telling me that according to them, with log files I sent them about the laptop, drivers ect. that everything seemed fine. They reported that their laptop with the same firmware had no problems, I kept telling them that the laptop I was using seem to be locked at a bios level and I wanted proof from them that it wasn't, at this point I was ghosted, and they stopped replying.

I got fed up and changed the network card to a Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz card but it resulted in the same problem. After more investigation by chance, I came across
a YouTube video showing that on MSI laptops if you boot to the bios and press "Right shift, right alt, left shift and F2" it unlocks all the developer options. In the connection settings
it was set to the wrong value and being blocked by the bios. (SHOCKED, NOT!) I set the location to "2" which is "all other locations". After getting back into Windows 11, It still didn't want to show in the Wi-fi list, so I created and entry and manually put in the SID name and password. BAM! connected without any issues.

I rereported the case to MSI and no one replied, and they just closed the ticket, great support MSI!!

Hope this can help others who run into a similar issue.

Hello!

Been a while since I've been here but glad to see it's still ambling along. Excellent site!

I'm finally updating my router (an AC68U) which has run wonderfully reliably for over eight years using the same Merlin firmware in all that time!

Now I am looking to upgrade and have purchased the AXE 1600. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using the dual WAN?

Currently I have a satellite system (250GB data at 25Mb and 1Mb!) and a seperate Telus phone data package (500GB over 5G) and I intend .to run these together using the 16000.

At the basic level I have a spare Galaxy 21FE phone that I assumed would plug into the USB connector on the router. Will this work?

Or is a better option a separate 5G modem?

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

The 388 firmware is out through webui

Version 3.0.0.4.388.21617
2022/11/22 54.65 MBytes
ASUS GT-AXE16000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21617
Try more on ASUSWRT 2022 with new features at https://asus.click/ASUSWRT2022
1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TV, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Supported new devices connection notification.
4. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
5. Supported Instant Guard 2.0 which helps easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection.
6. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting
7. Fixed USB icon issue in port status.
8. Fixed HTTP response splitting vulnerability. Thanks to Efstratios Chatzoglou, University of the Aegean.
9. Fixed status page HTML vulnerability. Thanks to David Ward.
10. Fixed CVE-2018-1160. Thanks to Steven Sroba.
11. Fixed cfg_server security issue.
12. Fixed miniupnpc vulnerabilities, CVE-2015-603, CVE-2017-1000494
13. Fixed IPSec server vulnerability, CVE-2022-40617

The 388 firmware is out through webui

Version 3.0.0.4.388.21617
2022/11/22 54.65 MBytes
ASUS GT-AXE16000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21617
Try more on ASUSWRT 2022 with new features at https://asus.click/ASUSWRT2022
1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TV, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Supported new devices connection notification.
4. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
5. Supported Instant Guard 2.0 which helps easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection.
6. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting
7. Fixed USB icon issue in port status.
8. Fixed HTTP response splitting vulnerability. Thanks to Efstratios Chatzoglou, University of the Aegean.
9. Fixed status page HTML vulnerability. Thanks to David Ward.
10. Fixed CVE-2018-1160. Thanks to Steven Sroba.
11. Fixed cfg_server security issue.
12. Fixed miniupnpc vulnerabilities, CVE-2015-603, CVE-2017-1000494
13. Fixed IPSec server vulnerability, CVE-2022-40617

Also available on the official Asus AXE16000 support page now.

Curios if this includes stability, connection fixes, and GUI bug fixes. None of which are mentioned in the release notes but deeply needed.

Hello!

Been a while since I've been here but glad to see it's still ambling along. Excellent site!

I'm finally updating my router (an AC68U) which has run wonderfully reliably for over eight years using the same Merlin firmware in all that time!

Now I am looking to upgrade and have purchased the AXE 1600. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using the dual WAN?

Currently I have a satellite system (250GB data at 25Mb and 1Mb!) and a seperate Telus phone data package (500GB over 5G) and I intend .to run these together using the 16000.
. It also
At the basic level I have a spare Galaxy 21FE phone that I assumed would plug into the USB connector on the router. Will this work?

Or is a better option a separate 5G modem?

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Well ... I worked it out for myself. No the router will not support this. It does not recognise either of my two android phones - Pixel7Pro and Oneplus9 - when connected to USB.

A USB to LAN connector works "sometimes" and at very low data speeds.

The phone app does not work for setup - only a hard wired connection will do.

Also problems with "legacy" devices - smart switches and sensors. I have over 30 of these.

I will send it back and purchase a business grade 5G modem/router.

I was hoping for "plug and play" ....

Ran into an issue with the GT-AXE16000 yesterday.

I have a WiFi-enabled projector clock with weather that only runs on 2.4GHz and your iPhone has to be on the 2.4GHz network as well in order to configure the clock. The clock lost its configuration during a power loss, so I disabled both 5GHz bands as well as the 6GHz band, just to be safe, and connected to the network only to find that I had no Internet access. The router reports being ‘Connected’ as usual, but no traffic is passing to the Internet. So, I re-enabled one of the 5GHz bands and did get Internet there. This is all on the latest 388 firmware.

Next, I set up the router with separate SSIDs for each band and found the same thing. If I connected to the 2.4GHz band, no Internet. All of the other bands provide Internet Access. I played with every setting I thought might have an impact on the 2.4 GHz band, but nothing made any difference. I tried factory resetting several times, but always wound up with the same result. I have a second GT-AXE16000 as I normally have them set up as an AIMesh system, so I tried it also and got the exact same situation. Whenever the 2.4GHz band is isolated, it gets no Internet access. I also tried going back to the 386 firmware, but it did the same thing.

I have to assume that when all bands are enabled, the 2.4GHz band is getting Internet access as I have a few 2.4GHz iOT devices that connect to remote servers and work normally then, but I have no other way to test this.

I called ASUS support and we tried a few things that didn’t help, so they escalated the call to Level 2 support and sent me a form to fill out and requested config and log files for the router. I restored everything to normal, using one SSID for every band and reconfiguring AIMesh, so I will have to bring the network down again tomorrow to gather all of the config and log information for them.

What’s weird is that when first accessing the isolated 2.4GHz band, I do get Internet access for a couple of minutes, but then it stops. It acts as if DNS isn’t working and if I change DNS settings it will work again for a couple of minutes and then quit once again.

It definitely seems like a firmware bug, but who knows? It’ll be interesting to see if ASUS‘s Level 2 support follows through and comes up with anything.

If anyone has any thoughts on this or ideas for things I could try to resolve the issue, please feel free to chime in.

Hey. 1st Post - yay! I am getting Community Fiber 3Gbps service installed & am thinking of getting this router. I've read through all the posts in this thread. Wanted to ask how is this router working? I would be using the 2x 10Gbps ports + AiMesh. Currently own the AX11000. How stable is the router? Any issues?

Just upgraded from the AC88U to the AXE16000 and loving the speeds!

During setup I chose to separate the bands and gave all of them the same SSID/password except the 5GHz-2, which I dedicated as a separate VR band (for Oculus AirLink).

I noticed that Smart Connect was off in the wireless settings, but my phone was still able to switch from the 2.4GHz band to the 5GHz band as needed.

Two questions arise from this:
  1. What exactly does Smart Connect do?
  2. Is it fine to keep all but a single band (5GHz-2 in this case) the same name/password?
    1. I noticed during the Quick Internet Setup if I chose to not separate the bands, it still guided me to give the 6GHz band a separate name/password.

A lot. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!