What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can someone explain to me why this router costs $700? I was thinking about finally updating my 87u with a new asus router but $700 seems crazy high to me for a router.
It has four radios (that means four chips, with their amp/filter ciruits), Broadcom's fastest CPU, twice the usual amount of RAM, and is marketed as an ROG device so it comes with a premium added on top of the regular price, plus it's the flagship which adds another premium.

Also extra costs for providing two 10 Gbps ports. Look around for the typical cost for any router with one or two 10 Gbps ports. None of them are cheap...

All of this adds up.

Since you were on an RT-AC87U so far, I doubt you need any of these extra features.

Initial setup was a blast. All ports shut at boot with a one minute boot cycle, no wifi, no Lan.

Ultimately putting it in recovery mode and applying the firmware from the Asus site TWICE resolved it. Placebo or not wifi appears to be notably better (>10% more) throughput on wifi 6. I've got ~50 devices connected via wifi plus wired.

It keeps kicking my phone from wifi so need to figure that out but basic experience after the pain in the butt (but not completely unexpected) setup process is alright.

I don't know if I like the led on the top or not but it's too busy to keep on always. I had my little utility corner of my entertainment room hastily rigged and took a pic of both on for reference (not permanent router locations, obviously).

Working on customizing and optimizing for my needs and will post updates if anything noteworthy comes up. I won't be able to test the 10GB ports to full capacity in the near term due to upcoming travel which prompted the express delivery upgrade.
Did you figure out the phone disconnecting issue yet?

It’s up on Amazon UK too and I placed an order yesterday. It’s on back-order though so they may have had limited stock originally that I missed.

GT-AXE16000 quad-band WiFi 6E (802.11ax) gaming router... https://amzn.eu/d/4DK9Dkt

HB

I just set mine up last night and am getting terrible speeds for upload (I have sequential gigabit fiber). With the built-in router speed test, I'm seeing about 1/10 the speed I should get and it obviously is much worse on any wired or wireless client.

The router is on the latest firmware, I reset it to factory, etc. I double checked the speeds I'm receiving from the ONT box and it is showing a consistent 930/940 using my laptop so it's not my connection, cabling, etc.

Any ideas? Anyone else seeing issues?

I just set mine up last night and am getting terrible speeds for upload (I have sequential gigabit fiber). With the built-in router speed test, I'm seeing about 1/10 the speed I should get and it obviously is much worse on any wired or wireless client.

The router is on the latest firmware, I reset it to factory, etc. I double checked the speeds I'm receiving from the ONT box and it is showing a consistent 930/940 using my laptop so it's not my connection, cabling, etc.

im getting the same thing, as if upload is capped to ~20-30 Mbps. I think the best thing to do is submit feedback through settings page, sometimes they'll email you a pre-release firmware with fixes.

im getting the same thing, as if upload is capped to ~20-30 Mbps. I think the best thing to do is submit feedback through settings page, sometimes they'll email you a pre-release firmware with fixes.
Are either of you seeing proper speeds from a wired PC? Is it just the router speedtest itself having poor speeds or every device on your network?

Although both my wired PC with a multigig connection and my router are seeing proper speeds as pictured.

1655837301644.png

Are either of you seeing proper speeds from a wired PC? Is it just the router speedtest itself having poor speeds or every device on your network?

Although both my wired PC with a multigig connection and my router are seeing proper speeds as pictured.

View attachment 42025
This test is straight from the router, and when connected to ethernet from a PC or Mac or other gaming/media devices , the upload is 20~30 Mbps. I restored to factory but issue persists. I connected my old router (GT-AXE11000) I would get 850Mbps upload. So definitely a router/firmware issue
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 3.11.38 PM.png

This test is straight from the router, and when connected to ethernet from a PC or Mac or other gaming/media devices , the upload is 20~30 Mbps. I restored to factory but issue persists. I connected my old router (GT-AXE11000) I would get 850Mbps upload. So definitely a router/firmware issueView attachment 42027
That's unfortunate. I have Xfinity rated at 1200/35 so I can't test the router for any higher upload speeds. Maybe someone else here has symmetrical fiber besides you two?

I keep checking every day for a new firmware.

My router just got delivered…I’ll set it up later today. I also only have gig cable service (for now) AT&T is running FTTH in my area as I write this so I should have symmetric gig in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, I won’t be able to test u/l speeds past 42. I am expecting to see the approx 1.4 gig d/l as that is the overprovisioned line spec I should be able to get. Right now best I can do is 940…we’ll see later today

7663A2FC-3998-4491-823B-6E66000B6F70.jpeg

My Xfinity is also asymmetric but it’s clipping along really well. Have 2 wired PCs and both get the same speeds as posted above. Both 2.5gb connections plugged in 10gb ports.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with an issue:

I have an AXE16000 that is my main router and I moved an ax11000 to a secondary range extender. In AImesh mode, the 11000 disconnects every minute or two, despite a 60-65db snr, when it connects it shows a high link speed, but it constantly drops.

So I switched the 11000 to repeater/range extender mode, and it works but when the 16000 reboots the 11000 won’t automatically reconnect! I have to connect to the repeater SSID and go into the dashboard and force a reboot. I have an old ac88u that was the repeater for the 11000 and it would reconnect fine (most of the time…) but for some reason the 11000 as a repeater won’t.

I’ve tried: * upgraded all routers to latest bios * factory reset both routers * forced the 16000 to different channels * tried every Wi-Fi compatibility setting * switched the 11000 to Merlin firmware

I have two newer W11 Pro computers with factory installed AX210 and AX211 adapters and have been unable to get Windows to even see the 6GHz network, let along connect to it. My S21 Ultra however does connect without any issues. I've tried changing 20/40/80/160 to every selection along with changing the Primary channel to every PSC channel without any luck. Any suggestions?

I have a win 11 pro computer and it sees my 6e channel on my axe16000 just fine and connects without issue. i believe my motherboard (ASUS z690-f) uses an Intel Wi-Fi controller and it seems to work.

I've ordered a pair of them to replace my RT-AX89X and two AXE11000's. However, my ISP provides 10G broadband via an SFP+ handoff, no modem in between. Using the RT-AX89X's SFP+ port and the two AXE16000s in AP mode to enable the 6Ghz channel was a workable solution to that. Now I'll have to either get a 10G broadband plan from another ISP with a modem that has a 10G ethernet port or buy a 10G fiber to RJ45 media convertor.

Initial setup...smooth as butter. Since I like to proceed sequentially, and deliberately, I'm now going to start adding AIMesh nodes...so far, so good...everything stable...speeds as expected...1150 down, 42 up. wifi 6 on the 6Ghz band working fine on my wife's ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop.

Last edited:
Initial setup...smooth as butter. Since I like to proceed sequentially, and deliberately, I'm now going to start adding AIMesh nodes...so far, so good...everything stable...speeds as expected...1150 down, 42 up. wifi 6 on the 6Ghz band working fine on my wife's ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop.
Let me know how the Aimesh setup went. I had no issue getting the router up and routing, it’s only when I tried to add an Aimesh node or repeater that things took a turn.

Let me know how the Aimesh setup went. I had no issue getting the router up and routing, it’s only when I tried to add an Aimesh node or repeater that things took a turn.
I won’t be able to get started on adding nodes until later this afternoon. Will update here as I go.

I tried everything I could all night, and I am still unable to get either of my computers to see the 6GHz network. It has to be an issue with both of my Dell laptops, since my S21 Ultra connects.

I tried everything I could all night, and I am still unable to get either of my computers to see the 6GHz network. It has to be an issue with both of my Dell laptops, since my S21 Ultra connects.
Have u tried updating to the latest drivers?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!