What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK here is what I learned about my AXE16000 and Ax11000….

• The reason the 11000 doesn’t automatically reconnect to my 16000 when it reboots is because when the 16000 reboots it stops broadcasting my 5G1 band which I use as the link, if I hard reboot it, it will do it But not when it soft reboots. This would not be so bad except:
  • whenever my 11000 reboots and reconnects it forces my 16000 to reboot!
therefore when I get my 16000 broadcasting 5G1, it reboots as soon as the 11000 connects and stops broadcasting 5G1! I’ve tried to manually connect to my 5G1 SSID and it’s not there, not just not broadcasting the SSID, it’s not there.

so yeah, I’m kinda screwed until there is a fix I guess. Ridiculous.

-edit-

Whenever either extender reboots it forces my 1600 to reboot. when it reboots, my 5G1 would set to control channel 0, which is why it disappeared, and you cannot change it!
F7EAD561-1DA4-4BE9-8D39-005C796E7587.jpeg

it also disables 160MHz. Here is my working theory: even though both routers support 160MHz, they don’t while in repeater mode. There must be code that disables 160MHz and reboots the host, but a bug also changes the control channel, which breaks that channel. I manually disabled 160MHz and manually set the control channel to 52 and it seems to be working for now. I don’t want to reboot it and test my luck.

-edit-
yeah. If you change anything it reboots which causes everything to fail and I have to completely rebuild my network. Yay. It overrides my 5g1 control channel settings same as the pic above. luckily this feels like a firmware issue and I’m hoping it’s not a bad radio or something. Plz patch! I know it’s a bug, it’s doing the same thing with my AC88U.

Last edited:
Let me know how the Aimesh setup went. I had no issue getting the router up and routing, it’s only when I tried to add an Aimesh node or repeater that things took a turn.
OK, I have now successfully added the first AIMesh node to my network. There are clients connected to it and so far, anyway, all seems stable. I'm going to add the two other nodes I have to do and see where we are. The nodes are all RT-AX86Us, new out of the box and never before used. For the time being backhaul is 5GHz wireless. I'll eventually go to wired backhaul but I still have to fish cables down my walls and there's no way in hell I'm going up in my crawlspace when the temperature is 106 degrees outside. That'd make it probably 120 or more up there so the project won't get done until fall at least.

I will say the initial node configuration was not clean. I had to first update the node firmware, then do a reset to factory default before the 16000 would see it as an available node to add. After that the rest of the configuration process was without error.

More to come.

UPDATE: All three nodes up and running. I'll be monitoring overnight to see how stable everything is. For some reason configuration of the final two nodes was clean. The 16000 picked them up as node candidates as soon as they powered up. Set the location names did a firmware update, and a mesh optimization, and I'm done for the initial setup.

If RMerlin decides to support the 16000 I'll probably move over to his FW, but for now it will have to be the official Asuswrt FW.

Last edited:
OK, I have now successfully added the first AIMesh node to my network. There are clients connected to it and so far, anyway, all seems stable. I'm going to add the two other nodes I have to do and see where we are. The nodes are all RT-AX86Us, new out of the box and never before used. For the time being backhaul is 5GHz wireless. I'll eventually go to wired backhaul but I still have to fish cables down my walls and there's no way in hell I'm going up in my crawlspace when the temperature is 106 degrees outside. That'd make it probably 120 or more up there so the project won't get done until fall at least.

I will say the initial node configuration was not clean. I had to first update the node firmware, then do a reset to factory default before the 16000 would see it as an available node to add. After that the rest of the configuration process was without error.

More to come.
How did you get your backhaul to use 5ghz? Mine used 2.4ghz and I couldn’t find any way to change it. 2.4ghz backhaul did me no good, plus my 11000 kept losing connection but it may be the same issue I listed in the post above (I need to disable 160mhz). Anyway congrats on getting it working!

How did you get your backhaul to use 5ghz? Mine used 2.4ghz and I couldn’t find any way to change it. 2.4ghz backhaul did me no good, plus my 11000 kept losing connection but it may be the same issue I listed in the post above (I need to disable 160mhz). Anyway congrats on getting it working!
I left the backhaul priority at the default "Auto" didn't do anything special. In the info bubble for the backhaul priority, there is text stating that if the device does not support the preferred backhaul type, the connection could be unstable or even disconnect. Don't know if that helps, but I did notice it. You can find the backhaul priority setting under "Management" for the nodes on the main router.

Last edited:
Finally finshed setting this beast up... Any idea why my laptop with an intel ax210 can't see the 6GHz band? It shows it's active on the router but only the 3 other bands show up.

Finally finshed setting this beast up... Any idea why my laptop with an intel ax210 can't see the 6GHz band? It shows it's active on the router but only the 3 other bands show up.
Sounds like the exact same problem I'm having. 6GHz is broadcasting but can't be seen by Windows 11. Only my Samsung S21 Ultra can see and connect to it.

Odd that. As of now my wife’s 2022 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop running W11 Pro is connecting to the 6GHz band fine. It did initially cough a bit before connecting the first time but has been OK since then. Not sure why the visible but can’t connect is happening other than maybe a driver or router FW issue?

Last edited:
Odd that. As of now my wife’s 2022 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop running W11 Pro is connecting to the 6GHz band fine. It did initially cough a bit before connecting the first time but has been OK since then. Not sure why the visible but can’t connect is happening other than maybe a driver or router FW issue?
In my case it's not even visible to Windows, only my phone can see and connect to it.

I had a chat with Amazon UK on their app earlier and asked when they expect stock. They confirmed that they expect to receive these 2nd August with delivery to customers a few days later. Looks like a bit more of a wait for those of us in the UK :(

HB

Your country, your OS and your driver need to enable support for it in your region.

For example here in Canada, even tho the 6 GHz band was authorized back in May 2021, it`s only in spring 2022 that it was officially enabled in Windows and Intel`s Windows driver.

Sounds like the exact same problem I'm having. 6GHz is broadcasting but can't be seen by Windows 11. Only my Samsung S21 Ultra can see and connect to it.
Try upgrading your Intel driver. If it still can`t see it, you might possibly need to wait for Windows 11 22H2 (or switch to an Insider Preview build).

Your country, your OS and your driver need to enable support for it in your region.

For example here in Canada, even tho the 6 GHz band was authorized back in May 2021, it`s only in spring 2022 that it was officially enabled in Windows and Intel`s Windows driver.

Try upgrading your Intel driver. If it still can`t see it, you might possibly need to wait for Windows 11 22H2 (or switch to an Insider Preview build).
So after some troubleshooting I figured it out...well google helped. The latest intel driver does not work. I had to manually install driver version 2.45.1.1 for 6GHz to show up.

So after some troubleshooting I figured it out...well google helped. The latest intel driver does not work. I had to manually install driver version 2.45.1.1 for 6GHz to show up.
What country are you in?

That's an old driver.

I'm using 22.110.1.1 on a mobile workstation, I'll check later what my other laptop is using (also has an Intel AX210 M.2 Wifi module inside too).

Should be fine then, unless you have multiple beacons around you broadcasting a different country. Clients rely on neighbour beacons to determine which region they are in.

Intel driver 22.140.0.3 is working for me.

I received mine on Tuesday, but just set it up today. Had configured it first and then upgraded the firmware. Have it connected to my AT&T Gateway via the 10Gb port (connected at 5Gbps) and the other 10Gb to my 2.5/10Gb 8-port switch. Everything seems okay at the moment. The initial firmware was a little slow bringing up all the wireless bands on reboots, but the newer firmware seems a bit faster. So far seems about on par with my GT-AX11000 from a wireless perspective.

Not seeing any upload issues as some others have. A direct attached computer was getting 900s up/down with a Speedtest and you can see the direct router speed test below. I'm not using any QoS at the moment.

Image on 2022-06-25 11.36.43 PM.png

I noticed my local Micro Center got in at least one.

Got my router up and running, however the 6GHz band is only visible to my computers running the 22.45.1.1 driver. I have four newer computers with the exact same issue; anything past 22.45.1.1 does not see the 6GHz band. There has to be something with the driver that is preventing Windows from seeing 6E. I even tried six or seven other drivers on one computer with no luck.

OSVersionBuild22.140.0.322.45.1.1Wireless CardModelCPU
W10 Pro21H119044.1766NYAX210Precision 5530i7-8850H
W11 Pro21H222000.778NYAX211XPS 9520i7-12700H
W11 Pro21H222000.778NYAX210Precision 7560i7-11800H
W10 Pro21H119403.1706NYAX210Inspiron 5402i5-1135G7

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!