What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No upload speed issues. I also have a friend with the same router on att 5 gbps symmetrical fiber and hes getting pretty much max speed you can get. I am using the 10gig porta for wan and lan. Same for my friend whos getting those crazy speeds. I know it sounds odd but try different network cable. Worth a shot.

Firmware update went fine and it rebooted with the rog led white the the 3 lights as normal then on to just the solid power light and the green flashing rog led. I went to get my laptop thinking it was SSDD but by the time I got back it had fully booted up.

I was all excited so I told my wife I'm going to reboot one more time using the power switch to test and got myself in trouble.

It is back to the problem before where it does the above and with just the solid white power light and pulsing green rog led like it is booting up (using the xenwifi led color code troubleshooting chart) and after 20-30 seconds just rebooted and starts the loop over.

I had the fix I identified pre-firmware update but it doesn't work now no matter what port connection variation I try.

I realized I've only been able to put this into recovery mode as well (solid purple rog light from holding reset button at boot), though I've tried to factory default only for it to boot up to the last configuration in the last when it would come back.

Does anyone know the proper way to factory default this model?

It's not listed under either method on the Asus website and I've tried them both anyway because why not and no luck. There doesn't even seem to be a user manual available for this yet, only a quick start guide.

Ugh, back on backup wifi for now until I can be sure I'm even following the correct methods of troubleshooting. Hopefully doesn't take too much longer to sort, though, because the end of the return window is fast approaching.

I would assume the same as for other ASUS routers even though it's not listed yet... call it a GT-AXE11000 (Method2 for a Hard Reset).

Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE.
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition.

If you can get into the webUI, just use Restore+Initialize and wait for it to finish booting.

If no Reset restores the firmware's default settings (with everything disconnected from the router), I would return it.

OE

With 2Gb WAN connections what kind of bandwidth at close range 6E are owners seeing?

My expectation would be close to the full 2. Is that realistic?

Firmware update went fine and it rebooted with the rog led white the the 3 lights as normal then on to just the solid power light and the green flashing rog led. I went to get my laptop thinking it was SSDD but by the time I got back it had fully booted up.

I was all excited so I told my wife I'm going to reboot one more time using the power switch to test and got myself in trouble.

It is back to the problem before where it does the above and with just the solid white power light and pulsing green rog led like it is booting up (using the xenwifi led color code troubleshooting chart) and after 20-30 seconds just rebooted and starts the loop over.

I had the fix I identified pre-firmware update but it doesn't work now no matter what port connection variation I try.

I realized I've only been able to put this into recovery mode as well (solid purple rog light from holding reset button at boot), though I've tried to factory default only for it to boot up to the last configuration in the last when it would come back.

It's not listed under either method on the Asus website and I've tried them both anyway because why not and no luck. There doesn't even seem to be a user manual available for this yet, only a quick start guide.

Ugh, back on backup wifi for now until I can be sure I'm even following the correct methods of troubleshooting. Hopefully doesn't take too much longer to sort, though, because the end of the return window is fast approaching.
There's a recovery tool on the downloads page you can try, they say it's more like a factory reset than any of the other methods.

With 2Gb WAN connections what kind of bandwidth at close range 6E are owners seeing?

My S22 Ultra maxes out around 950-980Mbit/s on 6E in close range despite having >Gbit internet.

I am getting about 1.2gbps on my s22 ultra on 6e with ookla speedtest which is pretty much my cap for my home internet (cable). Same speed on 2.5gbps wan and 10gbps ports.

On connected speed on wifi i see 2.4 gbps which is great. Wifi 6e range for me is actually not bad at all. I was expecting it to die when i go to other rooms but nope it stays connected fine. Just lower speed. 5ghz still has the edge in range. I am sure firmware updates will improve things a litttle but nothing dramatic i think. We'll see.

LAN not WAN, but my S21 Ultra running iperf3 to my QNAP NAS using a 10Gbe connection.

Screenshot_20220706-123843_Aruba Utilities.jpg

Impressive. Seems like it still has a ways to go before beating a 2.5Gb wired connection even at close range.

Impressive. Seems like it still has a ways to go before beating a 2.5Gb wired connection even at close range.
Wifi 6e doesn't increase throughput. You need to switch to a 160 MHz channel for that. I was able to transfer a file at 2.1 GB/s between my laptop (connected to 5 GHz with 160 MHz channel) and my NAS (connected to the router with a 2.5 Gbps USB NIC).

There's a recovery tool on the downloads page you can try, they say it's more like a factory reset than any of the other methods.
The firmware recovery is what I've tried a few times which it takes. Did it twice on old firmware and once earlier with the new firmware with no luck.

I really think this is in some type of testing mode and I just need to know the right button combination/sequence to get it in a regular mode.

Asus support has no input and no documentation for this router so they want me to send it to the repair center and won't do a swap exchange even though I just bought it. Direct 2-3 weeks ago. I didn't want to do a straight return because stock is not available but it's looking like my only options are to send to repair and maybe get a used or refurbished replacement or to just return it and get something else.

I take part in the beta tester jokes but to release a product they've delayed more than once and still not have even appropriate documentation for their support (much less the consumer) is ridiculous. I can almost guarantee this is a settings issue and can be fixed in minutes with someone knowledgeable on the product.

The firmware recovery is what I've tried a few times which it takes. Did it twice on old firmware and once earlier with the new firmware with no luck.

I really think this is in some type of testing mode and I just need to know the right button combination/sequence to get it in a regular mode.

Asus support has no input and no documentation for this router so they want me to send it to the repair center and won't do a swap exchange even though I just bought it. Direct 2-3 weeks ago. I didn't want to do a straight return because stock is not available but it's looking like my only options are to send to repair and maybe get a used or refurbished replacement or to just return it and get something else.

I take part in the beta tester jokes but to release a product they've delayed more than once and still not have even appropriate documentation for their support (much less the consumer) is ridiculous. I can almost guarantee this is a settings issue and can be fixed in minutes with someone knowledgeable on the product.

Maybe you tried to flash the wrong/corrupted firmware or restore the wrong/corrupted settings .cfg file. If you can't patiently reset the firmware, upload it again to be sure, reset that, and configure it from scratch; then I would assume a DOA hardware issue and return it however you can. It shouldn't be so difficult to setup and use as your posts suggest, so something beyond user control is now wrong with it, imo. Take ASUS Support's advice.

OE

Maybe you tried to flash the wrong/corrupted firmware or restore the wrong/corrupted settings .cfg file. If you can't patiently reset the firmware, upload it again to be sure, reset that, and configure it from scratch; then I would assume a DOA hardware issue and return it however you can. It shouldn't be so difficult to setup and use as your posts suggest, so something beyond user control is now wrong with it, imo. Take ASUS Support's advice.

OE
My background is in networking and for years I did surveys and wifi deployments for resorts all over North America. With all my experience I can't figure it out beyond seeing telltale behaviors of a device in a debug/devolpment mode, and it wouldn't be the first launch device I've had that happen to (the others launched with appropriate documentation so I was able to fix quickly... take note, ASUS).

I agree with you though and I'm gonna keep an eye out for more stock while I troubleshoot and fall a little deeper toward insanity and hope for the best. Either way, this is getting returned, I'd just love to have a replacement lined up without having to wait for stock to catch up.

After having owned this beast for a week overall I must say I am beyond impressed with the speed and overall responsiveness of this router especially after the recent firmware that fixed that annoying ethernet backhaul problem going into 10/100 mode instead of 10 gig. I can't wait to see what other improvements the future firmware will bring! I guess the GT-AX11000 will be collecting dust for now unless maybe I feel like putting it near the balcony area but it's a bit overkill :) Only thing I wish would actually work is the roaming with the AI mesh. I've read nothing but negative about it in general.

Last edited:
My background is in networking and for years I did surveys and wifi deployments for resorts all over North America. With all my experience I can't figure it out beyond seeing telltale behaviors of a device in a debug/devolpment mode, and it wouldn't be the first launch device I've had that happen to (the others launched with appropriate documentation so I was able to fix quickly... take note, ASUS).

I agree with you though and I'm gonna keep an eye out for more stock while I troubleshoot and fall a little deeper toward insanity and hope for the best. Either way, this is getting returned, I'd just love to have a replacement lined up without having to wait for stock to catch up.

My background is in not buying bleeding edge product in short supply. :)

OE

Is there a fix or solution for the slow upload issue yet? Had the issue since day one like some other people and running close to my return window. I tried the latest firmware update (3.0.0.4.386_49533-g724a30d) but still an issue. Everything else has been good except the upload issue. It's killing my server with the slow upload speeds.

Last edited:
Is there a fix or solution for the slow upload issue yet? Had the issue since day one like some other people and running close to my return window. I tried the latest firmware update (3.0.0.4.386_49533-g724a30d) but still an issue. Everything else has been good except the upload issue. It's killing my server with the slow upload speeds.
I would just get it exchanged honestly and see what that does if you've exhausted all troubleshooting efforts. That's odd if it the same problem on both 10 gig ports and the 2.5 gig port. Or just return it and stick to the current previous setup.

Dell asked me to test my computers with a different router, so I went out and bought an AXE11000. Exact same issue. I know both routers are broadcasting 6GHz, and my S21 works flawlessly with the GT-AXE16000 at 6GHz.

Screenshot_20220707-182824_analiti.jpg

I even made a short video highlighting the issue I'm having.

Last edited:
Has anyone else run into issues with IoT / smart home devices on 2.4Ghz? Even disabling Wifi 6 I kept getting random disconnects on smart plugs, bulbs, the like. Reverted those back to my old AX-88U and the issue immediately went away. Running the latest firmware.

Dell asked me to test my computers with a different router, so I went out and bought an AXE11000. Exact same issue. I know both routers are broadcasting 6GHz, and my S21 works flawlessly with the GT-AXE16000 at 6GHz.
Might be a long shot, but is your Windows set to the United States region? It's possible the Intel driver checks that in addition to broadcasted beacons in your area.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!