What's new

GT-AXE16000 Owner's Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yea it works on my end. The Fios connection with the Ont I plugged it to the 10g and just use the 1/2.5G to run wired backhaul to the axe11000

Let me know how the Aimesh setup went. I had no issue getting the router up and routing, it’s only when I tried to add an Aimesh node or repeater that things took a turn.
Can you provide some steps or settings that you used to get Aimesh working on the 16000. I have a RP - AX56 extender and RT-AC88u router that I can't seem to get to connect as nodes to Aimesh. I've done resets, factory resets (not resetting the firmware) tried turning off dual WAN, connected to different the different wifi networks. Multiple times and I can't seem to get any nodes to successfully ad to AiMesh. Also tried Web GUI and my iPhone. I have mac OS so the firmware reset might be a pain.

I've got all of the networks on WPA2 Personal.

RT-AC88UCurrent Version : 3.0.0.4.386_48260-gd4c241c

GT-AXE16000Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_49533-g724a30d

Can you provide some steps or settings that you used to get Aimesh working on the 16000. I have a RP - AX56 extender and RT-AC88u router that I can't seem to get to connect as nodes to Aimesh. I've done resets, factory resets (not resetting the firmware) tried turning off dual WAN, connected to different the different wifi networks. Multiple times and I can't seem to get any nodes to successfully ad to AiMesh. Also tried Web GUI and my iPhone. I have mac OS so the firmware reset might be a pain.

I've got all of the networks on WPA2 Personal.

RT-AC88UCurrent Version : 3.0.0.4.386_48260-gd4c241c

GT-AXE16000Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_49533-g724a30d
Have you tried hardwiring the GT-AXE16000 directly to the RT-AC88U and RP-AX56 respectively? (Any LAN port on the GT-AXE16000 to the WAN ports of the AiMesh nodes?) Back when I first got my pair of GT-AXE11000s, the web GUI and Phone app just couldn't detect the GT-AXE11000 that I wanted as the AiMesh node. So I hardwired the main router to the AiMesh node and the web GUI/App immediately detected it and then I could pair them. I did the same thing for the GT-AXE16000 main router to AiMesh node and another GT-AXE11000 AiMesh node. They paired without any problems. If that works for you, then perhaps you could switch to from hardwired ethernet backhaul to wireless backhaul? I'm guessing that's the configuration you're looking at?

Yea it works on my end. The Fios connection with the Ont I plugged it to the 10g and just use the 1/2.5G to run wired backhaul to the axe11000
THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!! Just tried it and we're golden! So the 2.5G port used as your WAN seems like it's gonna be a problem with this device, at least with the current firmware. Yesterday I was planning on boxing this thing up and finding a different model to use, so happy I tried this as the last ditch effort. :)

Edit: I replied to the ongoing tech support email chain with ASUS to update them with this solution and to let them know that the 2.5 port used as the WAN is an issue affecting multiple users on this forum. I asked for an official writeup and/or whitepaper and if/when they reply back I'll update this thread

Last edited:
THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!! Just tried it and we're golden! So the 2.5G port used as your WAN seems like it's gonna be a problem with this device, at least with the current firmware. Yesterday I was planning on boxing this thing up and finding a different model to use, so happy I tried this as the last ditch effort. :)

Edit: I replied to the ongoing tech support email chain with ASUS to update them with this solution and to let them know that the 2.5 port used as the WAN is an issue affecting multiple users on this forum. I asked for an official writeup and/or whitepaper and if/when they reply back I'll update this thread
It would also seem to imply the answer to a question I've had for a while, if the 2.5G WAN port can be reused if a 10GbE port is used for WAN. Awesome.

Glad to see its working now.. I was feeling like you also ready to take it back to micro center but remembered my 11000 did the same thing with the 2.5 port

16000.jpg

Firmware Version:386.8_alpha1-g09802d268a

Now i found a reason to swtich my ax89 even though i like it alot. Thanks Rmerlin. Anyone knows when its available in Sweden?

I had a pretty questionable first setup experience as well. First the router refused to connect to WAN (cable modem). Then after I updated the firmware and restarted the modem it connected but I had no internet. Took quite a bit of messing around to get it to finally work.

Now that it's operational its looking good. I only have 1200mbit xfinity service but I am getting 1400mbit/s+ downloads reliably on ethernet now.

I only have one 6E client right now, my S22 Ultra, which is seeing ~1Gbit/s speeds when I am in the same room as the router. It drops off pretty hard in other rooms to 300Mbit/s. The 5ghz bands are doing a much better job at penetrating and providing ~500Mbit/s to my other rooms.
Does S22 Ultra connect at 2400 Mbps link speed on 5Ghz band too?

be honest with you guys, Merlin firmware is fantastic.
72 hours and so happier than original firmware.
work smoother, used to have disconnection on some of my devices at home.
they are all connected all the time with max speed.
thank yo so so much Merlin.

Tried turning off and on Protection - no change here.
I've just heard back from Asus Tech Support regarding my crap download/upload wired speeds on 10Gbps broadband and this was what they said verbatim:

'Dear Valued Customer,

If you recently encounter limited speed acceleration, or unable to reach maximum connection speed, please try to disable the following features: AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, Web History, Adaptive QoS, Game boost, Web & apps filters, bandwidth monitor, Mobile Game Mode to maintain the optimal internet speed.

Sincerely,
ASUS Team'

Seems to tally with what RMerlin (who iperf-tested the 10G interfaces of the router) said in another thread, it's a NAT/CPU limitation.

Thank you, this workaround works. I hope they fix this soon in a firmware patch. We shouldn't have to lose a LAN port because the 2.5G WAN doesn't work properly.
I just tried this and the slow upload speeds still exist so I'm just gonna keep using the 10g port as wan and then use the 2.5 for alimesh for my gxe11000 since that works for me until they can fix this issue

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!