What's new

GT-BE98 WIFI 7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Or dropping it entirely, maybe? It was always going to be a product for those who want the cutting edge, and if they have WiFi 7 gear available then 6E isn't cutting-edge anymore. They might be thinking now in terms of going straight to WiFi 7 (and you're right that the LAN ports on this were pretty lame, too).
Looks like my guess was right. Asus did revise the specs of the GT-BE98. They removed the third 10G port and replaced the four 1G LAN ports with 2.5G ones.

Not really an upgrade IMHO, more like a 'side-grade' to keep up with TP-Link's BE routers which all have 2 X 10G ports (inclusive of the SFP+ combo port) and 4 X 2.5G ports. Kinda bummed by that move, was hoping three 10G ports would let me retire my 10G switch and rely entirely on the GT-BE98 for AiMesh and switching duties.

I'm glad they "updated" to a higher speed, than 1GbE.
Clark "Positive Attitude" Griswald

Last edited:
I guess Asus probably did that to keep costs under control. Having a third 10G port and four 2.5G ports will likely push the per unit price closer to 900 bucks.

Having a third 10G port and four 2.5G ports will likely push the per unit price closer to 900 bucks.
No, that's just the technical limitation of what the BCM4916 can handle. It does not have enough interfaces to handle all of this.

No, that's just the technical limitation of what the BCM4916 can handle. It does not have enough interfaces to handle all of this.
I just took a look at the BCM4916's specs and wow, you weren't kidding... They've literally maxed out the interfaces at 2 X 10G WAN/LAN, 2 X 2.5G LAN and converting the 4 X 1G LAN ports into another 2 X 2.5G LAN ports. Guess that's that then.

Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 9.51.20 PM.png

I wanted to find out the difference between the two unreleased routers, and I found:

The new ASUS ROG Rapture GT-BE98 Pro It is the improved version of the GT-BE98 that they presented at the beginning of the year, we will have a higher wireless speed globally, and a more versatile Ethernet wired connectivity. The main characteristics of this equipment are that it has a total of four simultaneous frequency bands and with him Wi-Fi 7 standardThis means that we will have a 2.4GHz band, another 5GHz band (low channels), a 5GHz band (high channels) and also a 6GHz frequency band to have a large number of channels available.

The Pro version of that looks awesome, pretty much covers everything I've been looking for in a new router. Hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer for it.

Yeah Asus would have been forced to sell the earlier unreleased GT-BE98 version for dirt cheap rate because duh... which idiot would buy it if it doesn't have "Pro" in it's name?

The "Pro" moniker adds a certain heft and enables Asus to price the router out of the market.

On a personal note, I would only buy it if they rename it to GT-BE98 Ultra. My budget is $1699 and higher. I would simply refuse to buy it if it is lower than that. These days I only buy products with Pro and Ultra in their name as they are so nice.

Simple. More WiFi's = more antennas = more bandwidths = bigger internet tubes.
I'm sure @Tech9 can tell us but I think I was taught the greater number of transceivers in a space the lower the usable data rate per transceiver. Still, I was also taught frequency/2 was the maximum possible data rate (showing my age).

I'm sure @Tech9 can tell us but I think I was taught the greater number of transceivers in a space the lower the usable data rate per transceiver. Still, I was also taught frequency/2 was the maximum possible data rate (showing my age).
I hope you know that response was tongue-in-cheek, right? ;)

I would never buy a router like this. The whole concept reminds me of this "multi band" system:

1692824344702.png

2000W PMPO (advertised) with 30W RMS (real) and 15 adjustment knobs with 12 never used.

I would never buy a router like this. The whole concept reminds me of this "multi band" system:

View attachment 52587

2000W PMPO (advertised) with 30W RMS (real) and 15 adjustment knobs with 12 never used.
I hear these things only have 1 antenna anyways. Pffff. Lame!

I wanted to find out the difference between the two unreleased routers, and I found:

The new ASUS ROG Rapture GT-BE98 Pro It is the improved version of the GT-BE98 that they presented at the beginning of the year, we will have a higher wireless speed globally, and a more versatile Ethernet wired connectivity. The main characteristics of this equipment are that it has a total of four simultaneous frequency bands and with him Wi-Fi 7 standardThis means that we will have a 2.4GHz band, another 5GHz band (low channels), a 5GHz band (high channels) and also a 6GHz frequency band to have a large number of channels available.
From what's written, the only difference between the regular GT-98 and Pro models is the bandwidth. 25 Gbps vs 30 Gbps. Other specs such as the number of ports (4 X 2.5G + 2 X 10G) and number of bands (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1, 5Ghz-2, 6Ghz) remain the same. Wonder what the price difference will be like.

@RTWZ80
Please do not harsh the buzz dude, with your "slap of reality" cost talk.
YET, since YOU brought the topic of money into the conversation. After seeing the initial cost of GT-BE96U, I'm currently checking what one of my kidneys is worth on the open market.
Edit: With the release of the BE96U, perhaps we will discover RMerlin's FW intentions ;)

Last edited:
I'm currently checking what one of my kidneys is worth on the open market

You may end up in similar to one Indian dude situation who traded a kidney for a new iPhone, found it's not exactly what he was hoping for and wanted the kidney back. :)