What's new

GUI Demo for ASUSWRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for putting up that link, I found one for a much older Asus Router but couldn't find one for newer models until coming here.

Asus really stocked up on the user accessible options, more reminiscent of the earlier days, now most companies cut down on most of those extra fine tuning options.

Like it. (For the features I use it looks like Asus is trying to catch up with RMerlin : -)

Question. Is this available only for the new (tri-band?) routers or does it (will it in future) run on older routers? (I have N66U.)

I already looked around on the Asus site and it would appear it's only available for the new line?

Like it. (For the features I use it looks like Asus is trying to catch up with RMerlin : -)

Question. Is this available only for the new (tri-band?) routers or does it (will it in future) run on older routers? (I have N66U.)

I already looked around on the Asus site and it would appear it's only available for the new line?

I stumbled on this demo on Asus website just like you did. I would think they want to demo the latest and greatest flagship just like everyone else is doing. Besides feature wise shall be a superset of new and old models. I thought N66 has similar UI with the same theme..I could be wrong as I never owned one :)

I thought N66 has similar UI
Very similar ... yes. The new one just seems to have a few new features. Off the top of my head (I'm too lazy to look it up) the new one offers traffic summaries by device, a better (different anyway) SSID interface and an even easier/flexible QoS setup.

That said, even if it was available for my N66U, I'd probably still stick with RMerlin largely because of real time traffic by device.

I think being able to view the UI before purchase can only work in Asus' favor.

Adaptive QoS, AiProtection and Smart Connect are the biggest differences between what you see on that RT-AC5300 demo and the RT-N66U firmware.

I think being able to view the UI before purchase can only work in Asus' favor.

Absolutely. Vendors are doing it to allure users into their products. On a fair account, equally can push consumers away if they find a thing or two which they don't like..

Absolutely. Vendors are doing it to allure users into their products. On a fair account, equally can push consumers away if they find a thing or two which they don't like..

Of the consumer routers I have seen Asus's UI seems to be the most full featured one and Netgear seems to be on the comparatively minimalist side, I advise Netgear on every beta to change the UI and get many upvotes each time for the suggestion but only time will tell if they will listen. I suppose some of that may also have to with KISS, so less support calls that way.

kvic might I suggest you post this in General or Buying section as well, I have a link to all Linksys router GUIs and might be able to find one for D-Link routers as well, this might better help new users in picking routers.

Last edited:
Of the consumer routers I have seen Asus's UI seems to be the most full featured one and Netgear seems to be on the comparatively minimalist side, I advise Netgear on every beta to change the UI and get many upvotes each time for the suggestion but only time will tell if they will listen. I suppose some of that may also have to with KISS, so less support calls that way.

kvic might I suggest you post this in General or Buying section as well, I have a link to all Linksys router GUIs and might be able to find one for D-Link routers as well, this might better help new users in picking routers.

I can't find a thread about router gui in other sub-forums. Feel free to include this Asus link in your post :)

I'm not quite sure Asus' position compared to other vendors. Personally I think Asus is not doing bad..at least I feel like keep going back to the GUI and check a few status pages. Perhaps it's fast...speedy response over http. The look has been there for a while. Maybe time for refinement on the theme, and overhaul the backend altogether.

I'm surprised to see Asus invests in apps.. on iOS and Android. I would rather see them going for HTML5 (perhaps the apps are HTML5, I'm not sure). Create a single interface on client side, and a single backend on the router. This way makes more sense IMO. They can focus their development effort as well as giving users a consistent UX. I would also think easier to maintain and support with a single framework.

I used to like the user interface on D-Link's earlier routers. Especially the interface they had on their first "gaming" router. Those were the olden days.