What's new

[Help] OpenVPN server could not start in 3.0.0.4.374.35_4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oneuser

Occasional Visitor
I'm using RT-AC56U, after turning on the OpenVPN server1, the following message shows in the "Export ovpn file" field:

Error when starting the OpenVPN server! Check your configuration and try again. (Error code: 0)

But I haven't touch anything else at all, even if I restore all to factory default, then start the OpenVPN server, it's still the same problem...

May I know what it means by error code:0? Is there anything else (such as configure first) before starting the server?

My apology for the dumb questions, I'm new to Merlin firmware, it seems quite a lot of options/settings :p

Thank you~~

I'm using RT-AC56U, after turning on the OpenVPN server1, the following message shows in the "Export ovpn file" field:

But I haven't touch anything else at all, even if I restore all to factory default, then start the OpenVPN server, it's still the same problem...

May I know what it means by error code:0? Is there anything else (such as configure first) before starting the server?

My apology for the dumb questions, I'm new to Merlin firmware, it seems quite a lot of options/settings :p

Thank you~~

Check the System Log, it will give more details.

Thank you RMerlin! Didn't expect an assistance from the respective originator ;) Thank you for the wonderful piece of work!

I did look into the log, it seems it's because I listed the VPN Client Address Pool as a different subnet from the router's IP. My stupid mistake.

And furthermore, is it normal that everytime I loginto the router, click on the "VPN" tab on the left panel, this message shows up: (it seems to me the server only starts when I click on the VPN tab? shouldn't it be running all the time?) I'm using self generated certificates & keys instead of the built-in username/ID approach.

Initializing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection.

Thank you RMerlin! Didn't expect an assistance from the respective originator ;) Thank you for the wonderful piece of work!

I did look into the log, it seems it's because I listed the VPN Client Address Pool as a different subnet from the router's IP. My stupid mistake.

And furthermore, is it normal that everytime I loginto the router, click on the "VPN" tab on the left panel, this message shows up: (it seems to me the server only starts when I click on the VPN tab? shouldn't it be running all the time?) I'm using self generated certificates & keys instead of the built-in username/ID approach.

Normally, that message should only show the very first time you enable OpenVPN (or if you manually clear the CA cert, server cert or server key, the router will then regenerate them when you go to that page). I think it might also erroneously show if the WAN interface isn't up - that's something I still need to look into.

Does the message disappear after a while?

I tried to shutdown the router, wait for 5 minutes then power up, followed by restore to factory default, reboot, then setup the VPN server, the error message is gone.

I think it might also erroneously show if the WAN interface isn't up - that's something I still need to look into.

I'm not sure whether that's the real cause, but I did try to disconnect the WAN while turning on the OpenVPN server. I tried it 5 times, 2 of which showed me the previously mentioned error message, while the other 3 times have no problem. I'm not sure whether it's just my AC56U unit... this unit had give me quite some headache while using the offical firmware, not as stable as the N66U...

Thank you RMerlin!

I tried to shutdown the router, wait for 5 minutes then power up, followed by restore to factory default, reboot, then setup the VPN server, the error message is gone.

Maybe the keys were only partly generated and the router was getting stuck by it.

Note that Asus isn't encoding the keys before storing them in nvram, so there will be compatibility issues when switching back and forth between their firmware and mine at the OpenVPN level. I encode the keys before storing them because otherwise, any saved settings that you generate with the Asus FW will have a 3 out of 4 chances to be corrupted and unusable to restore later on.

I sent them the info on how to encode the keys and the technical reason behind it, but looks like they chose not to implement it for some reason.

Thank you RMerlin for the technical details. I choose to use your firmware oven the ASUS one. :)

BTW, I'm using this AC56U to handle 4-5 VPN connections from my friends, and about 15~20 local wireless connections from mine and my cousin next door, do you think AC56U is able to handle it or do I have to upgrade to the AC68U? My Internet connection is 150Mbps and I used a repeater at my cousin's house for the wireless, so signal wise is not a problem, I'm just not sure whether the router is capable of handling so many connections at the same time, especially with the incoming VPN connections.

Thank you!

Thank you RMerlin for the technical details. I choose to use your firmware oven the ASUS one. :)

BTW, I'm using this AC56U to handle 4-5 VPN connections from my friends, and about 15~20 local wireless connections from mine and my cousin next door, do you think AC56U is able to handle it or do I have to upgrade to the AC68U? My Internet connection is 150Mbps and I used a repeater at my cousin's house for the wireless, so signal wise is not a problem, I'm just not sure whether the router is capable of handling so many connections at the same time, especially with the incoming VPN connections.

Thank you!

The AC56 and AC68 have the exact same CPU and same amount of RAM. The performance will be pretty much identical from a VPN point of view - the only difference is on the wireless. The AC56U is a 2x2 (300/866 Mbps), while the AC68U is a 3x3 (450/1300). Or 600/1300 if you happen to have a TurboQAM-compatible wireless client.

I see. Got it. In this case I don't think there's a necessity to upgrade then, since most of the wireless clients we have are still 2X2, in fact, only 3 are using 5GHz :D I believe if the VPN works well (based on your previous review of the better VPN bandwidth comparing with Broadcom single core routers), then this AC56U should be in service for quite some time.

Thank you RMerlin & wish you a joyful Christmas ahead~

Cheers