What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some would suggest that the unused coax wall outlets that are linked to the central junction should also be terminated.
Okay so after some discussion my dad is open to the idea of getting fiber since we've been with AT&T for a long time. I'm either gonna get the 500 or 1000 package haven't really decided...

Anyway I was looking at my coax wiring downstairs and was able to locate which wire leads to my room. My room is where I want to put the MoCA because it is a complete wifi deadspot.

So my plan is to disconnect the coax cable running to my room from the existing coax network and doing something like this...

snb revision.png

Just wondering if this would all work okay, was planning on using an adpater like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZIMOQX/?tag=snbforums-20

The coax cable running from my room to the basement isn't long enough to reach where the MoCA connected to the router sits. I'm wondering if I can extend the cable by adding a longer cable to the existing one using said adapter.

Last edited:
There's only two cables in my coax network that can possibly lead back to my bedroom. (I will be able to confirm which one is the correct cable once I get the MoCA adapters)

One cable says:

CAROL (R)--C5775--RG6/U TYPE 75 OHM COAXIAL CABLE--1C 18 AWG 75C E60233-8 CL2--CATV--CM (UL) C(UL)--MADE IN USA 000045270 03-02

The other says:

E83032 F660BVV (UL) CATV

After googling the second one I found this...

Untitled.png

Am I gonna be able to run gigabit ethernet off a 1ghz coax cable?

I cannot replace these cables because they are in the wall and were put in when my basement wasn't finished.

The other cable I can't find much information about but since they were put up at the same time I think it's most likely a 1ghz cable also... So I don't think buying 3ghz barrels is really gonna matter with these existing cables.

Last edited:
mine are 25 year old RG6 - 940 Mbit/s ( max of 1 Gbit ethernet considering packet overheads ) connecting a pair of GoCoax moca2.5 modems on a dedicated run.. What can matter is the cable installation quality - no kinks, nails, pinches, good termination of connectors. The last being a usual culprit.

mine are 25 year old RG6 - 940 Mbit/s ( max of 1 Gbit ethernet considering packet overheads ) connecting a pair of GoCoax moca2.5 modems on a dedicated run.. What can matter is the cable installation quality - no kinks, nails, pinches, good termination of connectors. The last being a usual culprit.
Well that's a bit reassuring

Sure, but if one is going to buy new....

960 MHz splitters can work with MoCA setups, too, but the MoCA gear may need to use a bit more power to adjust for increased attenuation.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!