What's new

Help with Network Configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SNBBear

New Around Here
I'm posting this to the Asuswrt-Merlin forum because I use it on my Asus 68u. Thanks @Merlin, I have donated a few times :)

I would ask the forum for some help in configuring my network. I'm becoming more and more concerned with security that hence the desire to make some changes.

Below is a picture of my layout and representative devices.

Objectives:

1) All devices have access to the internet
2) My iMac and iPhone has access to all devices
3) Some devices like the Chromecast can access my NAS (note the NAS has four NICs on it)
4) No devices can access my PCs (except as in #2, my iPhone can)
5) The Apple TV must be able to access the Ecobee
6) The TV must be able to access the NAS

Extra Credit:
7) VPN into my Asus and restrict the VPN to only accessing the NAS.

The managed switches I have can do either port based vLANs or 802.1q vLANs. If need be, I could move my LAN2 to connect with the 24-Port switch instead of the router if that makes things easier.

Since my iPhone must have access to everything, should I use vLANs or should I consider two private networks - 192.x & 10.x. ?

I would need to some how need to bridge them for my iPhone to get access to both networks (not sure if technically possible, but I'm not a network guy :) )

Thanks for all suggestions (any and sample scripts :) )

upload_2018-11-3_14-42-56.png

I'm posting this to the Asuswrt-Merlin forum because I use it on my Asus 68u. Thanks @Merlin, I have donated a few times :)

I would ask the forum for some help in configuring my network. I'm becoming more and more concerned with security that hence the desire to make some changes.

Below is a picture of my layout and representative devices.

Objectives:

1) All devices have access to the internet
2) My iMac and iPhone has access to all devices
3) Some devices like the Chromecast can access my NAS (note the NAS has four NICs on it)
4) No devices can access my PCs (except as in #2, my iPhone can)
5) The Apple TV must be able to access the Ecobee
6) The TV must be able to access the NAS

Extra Credit:
7) VPN into my Asus and restrict the VPN to only accessing the NAS.

The managed switches I have can do either port based vLANs or 802.1q vLANs. If need be, I could move my LAN2 to connect with the 24-Port switch instead of the router if that makes things easier.

Since my iPhone must have access to everything, should I use vLANs or should I consider two private networks - 192.x & 10.x. ?

I would need to some how need to bridge them for my iPhone to get access to both networks (not sure if technically possible, but I'm not a network guy :) )

Thanks for all suggestions (any and sample scripts :) )

View attachment 14995
OK, as per your unsolicited PM.....
The managed switches I have can do either port based vLANs or 802.1q vLANs.
If need be, I could move my LAN2 to connect with the 24-Port switch instead of the router if that makes things easier.
For ease of use 802.1q VLANs should initially suffice, and simply create two trunk ports on the RT-AC68U (or cascade all three downstream switches off one RT-AC68U switch port)
NOTE: You have not disclosed which model Netgear switches you have, but as per "Networking 101" remember that although Layer 2 VLANs can exclude other Layer 2 traffic based on configuration, in a routed network you would need Layer 3 ACLs to block networks from one another etc.

Anyway, to get you started (assuming you are able to configure the Netgear switches to create/host egress VLANs 20,30 and 40) I would suggest you give the following a try:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/VLANSwitch.sh 10 2 bridge notag autodnsmasq   # VLAN122 via Switch Port 2 aka LAN1
/jffs/scripts/VLANSwitch.sh 20 3              autodnsmasq   # VLAN20  via switch Port 3 aka LAN2
/jffs/scripts/VLANSwitch.sh 30 4              autodnsmasq   # VLAN30  via Switch Port 4 aka LAN3
/jffs/scripts/VLANSwitch.sh 40 4              autodnsmasq   # VLAN40  via Switch Port 4 aka LAN12

NOTE: Script GS108E.sh is simply a convenient command-line shortcut to manage/display a group of VLANs.

Last edited:
Martineau,

Thanks for your reply.

re: "Ok, as per your unsolicited PM...." My apologies.

I'm very new to posting to forums (3 posts) and I'm still learning the ropes and etiquette. I saw many folks reaching out to you in this thread - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/help-setting-up-vlan-on-asus-rt-ac68u.49312/page-4

Per your text, I guess the proper way for me to solicit help would have been for me to post to that thread also. Again, my apologies.

re: Switches. I have 1 Netgear 24-Port JGS524Ev2 and 4 GS108Ev3.

I was following this post to understand how to configure the switches.

https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-router-on-a-stick-with-netgear-gs108/

Thank-you kindly for the sample code and the scripts.

SNBBear