What's new

Hi everyone, HD Streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netsrac

New Around Here
Hi everyone

I have spent a few hours reading a lot of posts and right now my head is hurting :eek:

I just bought a new condo, and they did not run any ethernet:confused: They would not even allow me into the building to run it myself :mad:

Well due to the layout of my condo I would have to do a lot of fishing through walls and ceiling. (would have taken only 30 min before the walls went up)

I really do not feel like cutting open my walls and ceiling so thinking of going wireless for my entertainment systems

So here is what I want to do

1. Download Torrents directly to my server
    Stream HD 1080p to HTPC (Zotac) and home built HTPC
    Stream HD 1080p to TV - LG LM9600 (Netflix, PLEX for HD)
    Plex for streaming movies as the LG supports this eliminating one HTPC
    Surf with desktop, Ipad, IPhone, Notebook
    Minimal game playing with Xbox360 and WII

My internet speed will be 50/50 fiber internet.
    My Condo is 1033 sqft and router/server in the middle

My server has place for 24 harddrives, running mirror of each drive. Have max capacity of 22TB, presently have 8TB.
Will run gigabyte Ethernet from server to switch or router (still to buy)

In my previous house had cad6 throughout and used a desktop to download torrents. After downloaded I would then transfer said torrent to my server as I like to keep my server off the internet. This caused a lag problem if I was watching a movie from my server until it finished transferring the file(s)

I am worried if I download straight to the server I will not be able to stream at the same time.

I read in one article HD media needs about 20 Mbps to stream correctly
Another one said that you cannot stream HD over wireless
Some of the new Dual wireless benchmark in the 60-143 Mbps
I know with my Belkin N+ router I could stream 720P without much problem, but impossible to stream 1080p.

Are these new Dual Wireless routers capable of streaming 1080p?

If I get a new Dual Router, do I need to get new nics, as the ones I have now are all single band N nics.

Price as long as less than $200 is still cheaper than running wires, but will if I have to.

Looking at
ASUS RT-AC66U
ASUS RT-N66U
Netgear WNDR4500
Netgear R6300
TRENDnet TEW-692GR
Linksys E4200

Thanks in advance

consider MoCA (see forum here) and existing TV coax.
Next best is Home Plug (data on home wiring).

HD 1080 on WiFi is always a disapointment.

The answer to wireless HD streaming is always "it depends". It depends on:

- The bandwidth of the content. In scenes with a lot of motion, bit rates can peak in the 30-40 Mbps range. "Trick modes" (fast forward, reverse) also require higher bandwidth in this range.

- The buffering in your player. Wireless has variable throughput. Many routers will drop thoughput to the single Mbps range for 1-2 seconds, sometimes longer. If your player has enough buffering to handle this, you may be ok

- The wireless band used and your wireless environment. The 2.4 GHz band is too overloaded in most locations for reliable HD streaming. 5 GHz is much less crowded, but has shorter range.

If you still want to try it, the best approach is a three-stream N router and a three-stream wireless bridge on 5 GHz set to Auto 20/40 or 40 MHz bandwidth mode.

Two candidates are:
- ASUS RT-N66U and ASUS EA-N66
- TRENDnet TEW-692GR and TEW-680MB

I do a lot of 1080p streaming and now all these WiFi routers can be pushed so hard until they go duff (bad) It depends how many WiFi clients nodes you have there all running HD streaming from say Netflix or your WHS or NOS or NAS? Whatever you use to stream the media to your HDTV, HD laptop HD desktop via WiFi or Wired depends.

I had gone the Wired SMB way with enterprise equipment instead of just buying the small not metal cased WiFi Routers. I can say after a few weeks with what I have here everything is running smooth. No over heating with my 38 nodes and 30 of these nodes are WiFi clients and 8 nodes are Wired Clients. Actually it's now 41 nodes total with 40 nodes for WiFi and 9 for wired. 6x HDTV all have SONY Network Both Windows 7 Shares and Internet TV Media Player either wired 100m or WiFi 802.11n along with SONY B-Ray with Network and Internet TV @ 1080p.

Hi everyone

I have spent a few hours reading a lot of posts and right now my head is hurting :eek:

I just bought a new condo, and they did not run any ethernet:confused: They would not even allow me into the building to run it myself :mad:

<snip...>
I stream HD vdeo wirelessly without any problem at all. I can view the super-HD from Vudu.com immediately after selection without any buffering at all. That is from opposite ends of my single level 2000 sq ft house. I use the RT-N66U and TrendNET's TEW-680MB media bridges. NewEgg is currently offering the media bridges for $60 which is a steal if you ask me. I paid $100 each for both of mine.

I stream HD vdeo wirelessly without any problem at all. I can view the super-HD from Vudu.com immediately after selection without any buffering at all. That is from opposite ends of my single level 2000 sq ft house. I use the RT-N66U and TrendNET's TEW-680MB media bridges. NewEgg is currently offering the media bridges for $60 which is a steal if you ask me. I paid $100 each for both of mine.
Are you using 5 GHz? If not, what is 2.4 GHz neighboring traffic like?

Vudu uses Super-HD really. Only the SONY SMP-N200 can access the VUDU and not the SONY SMP-N100. I have N200 need to add that to the network. But I use only 802.11n 300mbp @ 20HT_40Mhz on 1080p/60p SONY uses.

Nothing you get from the internet is high bit rate! Resolution and bit rate are two different things. I bet if you look at the spec, you'll see it is max 8 or 10 Mbps (their web site says 4.5-9). Normally Cable HD is slightly better than that, which still sucks. BR can easily hit 30-40. You are not seeing what I call HD. I'd call that better than DVD, but not HD.

Right. HD 1080i (i, not p) is about 4-8Mbps, and it varies by program content.
HD1080p is 4x that.
These are speeds you'd need for IP streaming from you own LAN's media server with no compromises in quality.

Streaming video off the Internet keeps the bit rate lower by reducing quality and frame rates. This has to be, to accommodate DSL and end to end sustained 2+ Mbps which is difficult to do with adequate latency on the bare naked Internet from busy content servers and busy-hour congestion at many points along the route to you.

Last edited:
Most of what's out there is 1080i and only 1080p if your have internal source.

Last year I had Comcast come out and replace all the coax lines install module box outside, replace the old drop underground line to the house also. The results were very good. Sure not everyone going to do the same but in time you might have too. HD requires a lot if you want better quality. You pay for it in the end.

Netflix and Amazon Instant Video are the only two so far streaming in HD. There were some free short flix shots from Alaska in HD that were very clear on my HDTV streamed from the PC HD port to HDTV HDMI port. The water shot was very clear like you were watching the same segment on CATV HD.

Really?

consider MoCA (see forum here) and existing TV coax.
Next best is Home Plug (data on home wiring).

HD 1080 on WiFi is always a disapointment.
Really? I've already said this in this thread but it bears repeating. I can view superHD 1080p via Vudu.com on my Samsung BluRay players immediately after making a selection and I never have to endure any buffering, ever. I use TrendNet's TEW-680MB media bridges connecting on the 5GHz band across the length of my single level 2000 sq ft house. Performance on the 2.4GHz band is outstanding also but I use that for web surfing and ftp. The 5GHz band handles all of my HD video streaming and my son's Xbox 360 gaming. I had some issues with the beta versions of AiCloud firmware from Asus so I've gone back to Asuswrt-merlin RM16 for now. I know it shouldn't make any difference but it does. Once Merlin works his magic with the AiCloud firmware (and he could offer a double-secret beta whenever he wants and I'll never tell) life will be totally cool. :cool:

Really? I've already said this in this thread but it bears repeating. I can view superHD 1080p via Vudu.com on my Samsung BluRay players immediately after making a selection and I never have to endure any buffering, ever.
It's all about the bitrate. From the information available, Vudu HDX peaks at about 10 Mbps, which would certainly work in many wireless setups. Change the max bitrate requirement to 40 Mbps and there are much lower chances of happy viewing.

how can VuDu at 10Mbps actually do 1080p (not 1080i)? Seems too slow. Unless they compress the heck out of it, at the expense of quality.

Real 1080p/blueray speeds, as said, get to 40Mbps and that's hard to sustain with low enough latency on WiFi.

Ran some samples through Vudu at their HDX 1080p is sharp and there is not issues in the stream I did that over the 802.11n 100% Wireless on my new SONY SMP-N200. I have too upgrade from the SMP-N100 they don't do Vudu nor do they do 3D nor do they do MKV, but the SMP-N200 does. But you all know that Amazon Prime Instant Video does HD @ 1080p also. Netflix on some video stream content doing HD also.

how can VuDu at 10Mbps actually do 1080p (not 1080i)? Seems too slow. Unless they compress the heck out of it, at the expense of quality.
as noted, Vudu's HDX format IS compressed so that bit rates peak @ 10 Mbps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online