What's new

Hitron CODA-4582 with Asus AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radar2000

Occasional Visitor
Hi there.

Looking to see if there are any members here using a Hitron CODA-4582 modem with an Asus AC68U router?

If so, would you mind sharing your settings?

From the modem, I'm getting 500 to 700 down. But when I bridge into my Asus router, I can only get 150 to 300 down.

My router is using the latest Merlin firmware.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this slower download speeds?

Cheers!

Any suggestions on what could be causing this slower download speeds?
First of all the "cheap" home routers are not build for such high internet speeds: up to ~300 Mbit (as you experience) it's OK - but above not. :confused:

On top you need to disable any features that prevents the usage of "hardware acceleration" (called CTF - Cut Through Forwarding and FA - Flow Acceleration):
check under LAN/Switch Control if these are enabled or not - e.g. NAT Acceleration = disabled? - and turn off any filtering like AiProtection or AdaptiveQS which will also slow down the traffic - basically the filtering features are CPU bound and the small router CPUs cannot do more. :(

More details on this topic can be found here for the latest firmware version - and use the forum search yourself to get more results as it was discussed many, many times in the forum! :rolleyes:

First of all the "cheap" home routers are not build for such high internet speeds: up to ~300 Mbit (as you experience) it's OK - but above not. :confused:

On top you need to disable any features that prevents the usage of "hardware acceleration" (called CTF - Cut Through Forwarding and FA - Flow Acceleration):
check under LAN/Switch Control if these are enabled or not - e.g. NAT Acceleration = disabled? - and turn off any filtering like AiProtection or AdaptiveQS which will also slow down the traffic - basically the filtering features are CPU bound and the small router CPUs cannot do more. :(

More details on this topic can be found here for the latest firmware version - and use the forum search yourself to get more results as it was discussed many, many times in the forum! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your response joegreat.

Are you saying that the Asus AC68U is a cheap router? My understanding is that this Asus AC68U can handle gigabit speeds.

As for your instructions, are you saying to disable or enable the NAT Acceleration? It was on Auto, but I've just disabled it. I'm still only maxing out 300 Mbps download speeds via wifi.

Again just to recap my setup and service...

I'm on a gigabit plan with my service provider.
The service providers modem is a Hitron CODA-4582. When I'm hard wired from the modem to my laptop using a Cat 6 cable, I'm averaging 500 / 700 Mbps download speeds.
My modem is in bridge mode and is then connected to my Asus AC68U router via Cat 6 cable. And as mentioned above, I'm only able to download via wifi around 300 Mbps. I'm using the latest Merlin firmware.

Any help on what could be causing this bottle neck at the router, would be appreciated.

Cheers!

You are comparing download speed between CAT6 hard wired and wifi, it's not the same. Try to hard wired your laptop to the AC68U and download again.

You have a gigabit plan and IMHO you are not going to make use of that plan by yourself using only wifi.

Are you saying that the Asus AC68U is a cheap router? My understanding is that this Asus AC68U can handle gigabit speeds.

As for your instructions, are you saying to disable or enable the NAT Acceleration? It was on Auto, but I've just disabled it. I'm still only maxing out 300 Mbps download speeds via wifi.

It's not a "cheap router" - it's a classic design that's been around for quite some time, and it's starting to show it's age... when the design was introduced by Broadcom, 500Mbit home broadband connections were very rare - and it's been close to what, 4 years now that the hardware platform was launched.

Given that, the platform has done very well for itself.

300Mbps over wifi is pretty respectable, and this is dependent on the WiFi chipset in your client as well... what chip is inside there, and there's a lot of other items that can affect performance - if you cable up to the 68U, one should expect to see better numbers.

My 68U Rev. B1 can do 950 Mbps WAN-LAN with AiProtection enabled and CTF enabled. CPU core 1 may be pegged at 100% but it will do it. With NAT acceleration off it hits 380 down and 440 up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!