What's new

Home network setup questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mister Craft

Occasional Visitor
I'd like to set up a separate network for my IoT devices and keep my main network separate. I'm still learning so I was hoping you guys could help me get a better understanding of how to set it up or point me in the right direction.

Current Gear -

- Asus Rt-AC88U as my main router.

- Linkysys 10/100 16-Port Workgroup Switch (Model EZXS16W)

- Cisco Linksys E1550 that I could use as an Access Point for the IoT devices. My thought was something like this

ARRIS Modem > Asus Router (for main network) > Switch > Cisco Router (for IoT devices)

OR

ARRIS Modem > Asus Router > Switch Configured with VLANs (not sure how to do that but I could figure it out with some research)

Last edited:
Do you have the guest mode on your router enabled? You could dump all your IoT devices there. The guest mode is separate from your main network. That's how I have mine setup and it works well.

Do you have the guest mode on your router enabled? You could dump all your IoT devices there. The guest mode is separate from your main network. That's how I have mine setup and it works well.
That's how I have them set up now but didn't think it was secure enough. Maybe I'm over thinking it and if it is secure enough I'll just let it be. I was thinking I'd getting an echo dot and wanted it completely separate

I would say from home use it would be secure enough. The two are separate and can't talk to one another. If you want to your wireless devices not to be able to talk to one another, there is a setting under, wireless, professional, called "Set AP Isolated". With that enabled, all the wireless devices would not be to communicate with each other.

However, you're going to need to think about how you are going to use your echo dot, it needs to talk to everything you want it to control. They would need to be all on the same network.

I would say from home use it would be secure enough. The two are separate and can't talk to one another. If you want to your wireless devices not to be able to talk to one another, there is a setting under, wireless, professional, called "Set AP Isolated". With that enabled, all the wireless devices would not be to communicate with each other.

However, you're going to need to think about how you are going to use your echo dot, it needs to talk to everything you want it to control. They would need to be all on the same network.
I just want it to ask weather and random questions not to control anything in the house. I'll check out the AP Isolation thing and see how that works, thanks!

I think having the echo being able to control stuff would be a good thing. If you can have echo randomly turn lights on and off while you are gone would be great.