What's new

Homeassistant SSH stops working with 384.18

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

truglodite

Regular Contributor
Lots of folks including myself are using the ssl deamon ssh server on our routers to track wifi connections of our phones (this is used for home automations). Nothing new there, and Homeassistant has a nice asuswrt component that in the past has worked reliably. However, with the latest merlin firmware, there have been verified reports that the ssh connection no longer works. It's a problem with HA, since ssl works fine for everyone from other devices.

Here are some related links on this subject:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/asuswrt-ssh-login-failing/208525/4

https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/37269

Does anyone have any clues as to what may have changed, or what could be looked at by the HA devs to fix this? My best wild guess is dropbear or openssl got an update that deprecated the cryptos being used by HA, but not sure. This issue is fresh and folks are just looking into it. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:
I suppose I shouldn't have called dropbear an deamon. :)

If you are referring to the SSH server, make sure your client supports modern ciphers. Obsolete algos like 3des and cbc were dropped a few months ago.

You mean SSH don't you, not SSL?

Yes ssh, oh boy I botch that post pretty bad! I went back and changed the title to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the tip Eric, I am suspicious that is what is going on here. I already mentioned that in the issue report. Hope they get that sorted so I can go back to .18 on my router.

If you are referring to the SSH server, make sure your client supports modern ciphers. Obsolete algos like 3des and cbc were dropped a few months ago.
Which SSH cifhers are supported by SSH server, after 384.18? Thanks

Which SSH cifhers are supported by SSH server, after 384.18? Thanks

GCM (like AES-256-GCM), Chacha20 are supported. I don't know the complete list.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!