What's new

HomeTunnel VPN - Access your SOHO network from everywhere

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr. Uwe Meyer-Gruhl

New Around Here
Hi,

for those of you who would like to setup a VPN to their home networks but loathe the complexity that usually comes with it: Take a look at HomeTunnel - maybe even one of the SmallNetBuilder staff would like to test it?

There is also a current Kickstarter campaign where you can get one of 100 HomeTunnel boxes (well, it's only 97 left now).

Kind regards,

Uwe

Neat idea - have you considered putting together a package on the Pi2 (or better yet Pi3 with it's built in WiFi)?

Seems like perhaps a better long term solution that building off TP-Link's travel router device (nice as it is, there's a fair amount of uncertainty with ability to continue to run 3rd party firmware on it or similar TP-Link devices).

No, actually not. WiFi actually is on the TL-MR3020 as well and it is dirt cheap - like $25, which is a price that the neither Pi can match when build with a power supply and a case. Plus, the TP-Link uses less than 1 Watt.

WiFi is not a real concern for this application, however. One would not want to have the VPN traffic pass the Wifi twice on its way - matter-of-fact, the Wifi part is unused at this time in the HomeTunnel firmware.

I know about the uncertainty because of proposed regulations, but here in Germany, TP-Link has confirmed that 3rd party software will continue to work. They know how many of their devices are used on Non-OEM firmware and do not want to give up that market share.

If TP-Link decides otherwise in the future, I can always choose between plenty of devices - almost every one that is able to run OpenWRT will do.

I know about the uncertainty because of proposed regulations, but here in Germany, TP-Link has confirmed that 3rd party software will continue to work. They know how many of their devices are used on Non-OEM firmware and do not want to give up that market share.

I certainly hope they reconsider their position in the North American market, at least for some devices - the TL-MR3020 has a dedicated community, not just for WiFI, but as a general purpose embedded development platform.

The HomeTunnel product is a great idea, and here's hoping for success.