What's new

How best to configure for hosts that require static ip addresses?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tc143

Occasional Visitor
What would be the best approach to support name resolution for servers on the LAN that require a static ip address, for example a file server?

I ran a few tests to see if dnsmasq would accept a DNS registration transaction from a server on our LAN configured with a static ip address, and it did not.

I'm thinking that /jffs/configs/hosts.add file is where I should put static ip addresses.

Are there other options?

Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list

IP address assignments per MAC address are made on the LAN/DHCP Server tab.

What would be the best approach to support name resolution for servers on the LAN that require a static ip address, for example a file server?

I ran a few tests to see if dnsmasq would accept a DNS registration transaction from a server on our LAN configured with a static ip address, and it did not.

I'm thinking that /jffs/configs/hosts.add file is where I should put static ip addresses.

Are there other options?

Manually adding to hosts would be the simplest. Otherwise, you would need to set the server to DHCP, and enter a static reservation to the DHCP page of the router so it always get the same static IP (and name).

Thanks all. I'm debating whether to use for servers:

(1) Router dhcp reservations
(2) Static ip addesses + entries in the router hosts file
(3) DNS/DHCP service on a server instead of the router. This would allow static ip addresses that automatically register with the DNS.

I've never had an issue with dhcp reservations for my clients so I think I'll give that a go for my servers.

Not sure if I misunderstood, the question but I just tested the answer from JoeSchmoe007 in the latest beta firmware and it seems to do the trick.

I have a server which I manually set the IP on the adapter, and under the 'LAN / DHCP Server' on the router tab I can see it (presumably from the ARP request in the drop-down for 'Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP'). I should also add that the IP of this particular server isn't even in the range I use for DHCP which was a limitation on some other vendor routers.

Once I selected the existing server by name and clicked 'add' to the list, dnsmasq seems to resolve it for local and remote queries.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!