What's new

How far should I place a pair of Zenwifi xt8?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andywrt

New Around Here
I bought a pair of Zenwifi xt8 and tried to cover a 2 stories 3000 sq ft. house. Walls are all drywall so no concrete.

Unfortunately my internet port is set up at one side of the house and I cannot do any cable routing because it's not my house.

The place I place my master node is facing downstairs hallway, the most ideal for second node is probably within 3-5m away from master node in the hallway. But there is no place and no power outlet for me to do that. Therefore I need to place it a lot further like 8m away and around the corner or in a room. And when I do that, the backhaul signal is weak using 2.4Ghz. yes I makes sense.

So my question is, if I want to get best node signal, should I place the second node upstairs right above the master node because it's my computer room. And it has only floor separating but it is within 3m. Or should I find a way to place second node on hallway within 3-5m? Does it matter if I place it around corner or second node must be within line of sight of master node?

Thanks.

Hard and maybe not relevant to offer theory answers. Easier to just test it yourself and use the one you find works better.

I have one floor separating mine and the node is about 12 meters away and it works fine with Wi-Fi backhaul. 3-5 meters space between them is way too close to one another.

As a very general rule, I would suggest placing the node at a location where you get about half of the signal strength, and then see that the original dead spots are now getting propre coverage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!