What's new

how to check cpu size rt-68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Majax

Occasional Visitor
I just got my rt-68u and I want to see what the CPU size is. Is there a way to do that with the stock firmware?

I just got my rt-68u and I want to see what the CPU size is. Is there a way to do that with the stock firmware?
Hi,

Enable SSH on your router, then login via SSH and type in this command:

nvram get clkfreq

The most accurate way is to see the bogomips measurement.

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

What's the hardware revision on the box? It's my understanding that the B1 revision has the faster cpu but not the new radios.

looks like a 1GHz cpu.
You can also get a ton of info using dmesg.

If you just want cpu speed use:
dmesg | grep CPU

That works on a N66U , not sure about other models though

OK, processor 0 is 1998.84 bogoMIPS and so is processor 1. What does that mean in terms of my CPU speed?

You can roughly divide it by two to get your clock rate with these routers. So in this case, it's a 1 GHz model.

Weird....my RT-86U has NO entry for clkfreq and shows 100 for bogoMIPS!

I think you're comparing a 2013 router command with a 2018 router that is 64bits. :)

But why is the bogomips less then?

Bogomips calculations changed with later kernels...

For example... this is from QC-Atheros IPQ4018 running QSDK on a 4.4 kernel

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 26.81
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm 
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xc07
CPU revision    : 5

But why is the bogomips less then?
Maybe this. I believe the RT-AC86U uses the newer kernel.
In 2012, ARM contributed a new udelay implementation allowing the system timer built into many ARMv7 CPUs to be used instead of a busy-wait loop. This implementation was released in Version 3.6 of the Linux kernel. Timer-based delays are more robust on systems that use frequency scaling to dynamically adjust the processor's speed at runtime, as loops_per_jiffies values may not necessarily scale linearly. Also, since the timer frequency is known in advance, no calibration is needed at boot time.

One side effect of this change is that the BogoMIPS value will reflect the timer frequency, not the CPU's core frequency. Typically the timer frequency is much lower than the processor's maximum frequency, and some users may be surprised to see an unusually low BogoMIPS value when comparing against systems that use traditional busy-wait loops.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!